Random Forum Thoughts.

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby BottledViolence » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:33 pm

Leoff wrote:Some of you are very good with 3d printing stuff. I've got a question: how would you sharpen the edges of a 3d printed cookie cutter?
I got some really beautiful video game themed ones including a tiered star, but the layer lines and the blunt cutting edge make it hard to get the cookie out. I've been using it to just imprint the dough, then cutting it with a sharp knife, but if I can improve the cutter it'd be a faster process.

Depends on what material it was printed in. You can probably wet sand it.

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:26 am

So I just found the chat logs for a Star Wars d20 game I ran over IRC from 2004. Ahh... memories.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:46 pm

The most interesting thing I have to do at work today is set up new configurations for my new bullet journal.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Bai Shen
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Bai Shen » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:05 pm

youtube-dl on one machine gets 429 errors but works perfectly on another.

Not sure what google uses to decide to kick out 429's as I've certainly downloaded way more with the desktop and not seen a single 429.
Vote Mumblebear/CHAINSAW

mindtakerr

Postby mindtakerr » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:18 pm

clintmemo wrote:The most interesting thing I have to do at work today is set up new configurations for my new bullet journal.

I've never heard of this until now, but this sounds really interesting. Do you like this method?

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:27 am

mindtakerr wrote:
clintmemo wrote:The most interesting thing I have to do at work today is set up new configurations for my new bullet journal.

I've never heard of this until now, but this sounds really interesting. Do you like this method?

Bullet journaling?

It is freeform and you get as much out of it as you put into it. I need to use it more. It would make life easier.

I used the Franklin/Covey system two decades ago and for about 2 years it was wonderful, but then job/life happened and I was in far less control over what I was doing so it made it fairly useless.

The way I use my bullet journal is more condensed than a FC daily planner - one page spread per week instead of one per day. Besides, a yearly FC set up is probably $150 now and a nice bullet journal is about $20.
I got this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HAPOME8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I prefer the dotted version to the lined version because I like to use grids plus it makes it easier on those rare occasions when I need to diagram something.

I want to add more lists to my next one so that I don't have to remember important things like "Have I tried this beer before and did I like it?"

The one I am about to finish lasted me almost exactly two years. In 2020, I want to use it more and make it one year per book.

To answer the obvious question - "Why don't you do this electronically? Microsoft One-Note would be perfect!"
Yes, it would, but there is some added value of doing it with pen and ink. It gets you into a different head space and stops you from doing destructive shortcuts* that are so easy to do with computers.

* I just coined that term while posting this.
This is a real problem that I have since I sit in front of a PC all day and it is hard to explain, especially to non-programmers, but I'll give it a shot.
Sometimes when you have a task, you start out first by doing analysis and planning and then by executing your plan. Very often in the planning stages, you see a short cut that will get the task done right now and the temptation of "just doing it" overwhelms your desire to finish planning. In the name of expediency, you use the short cut and solve the problem. However, very often you find that either the short cut is not as short as you thought, or is not as effective as you thought, or that in the future you have the same issue again but you don't remember how you solved it.
In the short run, you might be better off using the shortcut, but in the long run you are worse off for not finishing your plan.
Computers (and other electronics), with their ability to search, copy and paste information so easily, really enable destructive shortcuts, especially with finding and saving information.

Here is totally mundane example:
You want to cook a pasta dish, so you google recipes for it. You find one, follow it on your phone (why bother writing it down when I can just read it?), make the meal - and it's spectacular. Three months later, you go to make it again - and you can't find it, or the website is gone, or you can't remember which one of google's 9 million hits was the right one. Not writing it down was a destructive short cut.

mindtakerr

Postby mindtakerr » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:38 am

clintmemo wrote:This is a real problem that I have since I sit in front of a PC all day and it is hard to explain, especially to non-programmers, but I'll give it a shot.

Well, as I am a programmer, I totally understand that. Thanks for the explanation!

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:20 am

Speaking as a not-programmer, I loved and understood the phrase as soon as I saw it. As a cook and seamstress, can point to all sorts of failures of this sort! Except I can't because I buried the remains.
You have coined a good phrase.

mindtakerr

Postby mindtakerr » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:45 am

Leoff wrote:Speaking as a not-programmer, I loved and understood the phrase as soon as I saw it. As a cook and seamstress, can point to all sorts of failures of this sort! Except I can't because I buried the remains.

Indeed he has.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:47 pm

mindtakerr wrote:
Leoff wrote:Speaking as a not-programmer, I loved and understood the phrase as soon as I saw it. As a cook and seamstress, can point to all sorts of failures of this sort! Except I can't because I buried the remains.

Indeed he has.

Thanks!

I was working in my garage over the holiday, building shelves out of scrapwood, and I kept hearing that phrase in my mind. "I could just do X. Nope. Destructive shortcut."

Return to “General Discussion”