Random Forum Thoughts.

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby BottledViolence » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:25 pm

I feel more cold on a 30 degree day in early November than on a 10 degree day in January.

Acclimation and dressing for the weather make a huge difference. Partying on a frozen lake for six or eight hours when it's 20 with gusting winds isn't uncomfortable if you're dressed for it. Over the years I've loaded up on good, modern cold weather gear and winter is way more comfortable than summer for me. Buying from places like Steep and Cheap made it inexpensive too.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:28 am

Wind chill, humidity, and the style and material of your clothing make a far bigger difference than the raw static air temp.

If it's windy and wet and 36 degrees f, you'll get hypothermia way faster than if it's 0, dead still, dry as a desert, and you at least have a down jacket and good boots.

The priorities of staying warm in a survival situation are, in order:

1. Find shelter (hide form the wind).
2. Get dry.
3. Find a way to generate heat.

Raising the actual air temperature around you is the last step.
Have you found the yellow sign?

anthroslug
NZB Leftenant

Postby anthroslug » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:50 am

Back when I was doing a fair amount of winter field work at hign elevations, I found out quickly that bundling more didn’t help, but dressing with the correct layers in the correct order meant that even temperatures well below freezing could be comfortable without much bulk. Of course, living at a time when new materials allowed lightweight warm clothes also helps.
I'm like a boring, perpetually annoyed Indiana Jones - http://www.anthroslug.blogspot.com

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:30 pm

Through several years while I was at the University of Saskatchewan, my winter gear, right down to 40 below, was a light wool sweater under a leather bomber jacket with a thin satin lining. My friends persuaded me I needed a ski jacket, and I found it not as warm -- not warm enough, in fact. The nice modern fabrics (of the 1980s) neither breathed nor retained heat as well as tried-and-true wool and leather.
Things have gotten better, but I still love wool or silk for real cold-weather insulation.

anthroslug
NZB Leftenant

Postby anthroslug » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:38 pm

Leoff wrote:Through several years while I was at the University of Saskatchewan, my winter gear, right down to 40 below, was a light wool sweater under a leather bomber jacket with a thin satin lining. My friends persuaded me I needed a ski jacket, and I found it not as warm -- not warm enough, in fact. The nice modern fabrics (of the 1980s) neither breathed nor retained heat as well as tried-and-true wool and leather.
Things have gotten better, but I still love wool or silk for real cold-weather insulation.

We had some folks on some of my crews that learned that recreational cold wear often didn’t work well. Unfortunately, digging pits in frozen ground usually didn’t lend itself to leather and silk, but we found materials that worked well.
I'm like a boring, perpetually annoyed Indiana Jones - http://www.anthroslug.blogspot.com

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:16 pm

anthroslug wrote:
Leoff wrote:Through several years while I was at the University of Saskatchewan, my winter gear, right down to 40 below, was a light wool sweater under a leather bomber jacket with a thin satin lining. My friends persuaded me I needed a ski jacket, and I found it not as warm -- not warm enough, in fact. The nice modern fabrics (of the 1980s) neither breathed nor retained heat as well as tried-and-true wool and leather.

We had some folks on some of my crews that learned that recreational cold wear often didn’t work well. Unfortunately, digging pits in frozen ground usually didn’t lend itself to leather and silk, but we found materials that worked well.

The activity is one of the most important considerations when determining what works and what doesn't. When I'm at work I wear Carhartt over my FR uniform. When I'm out hiking, camping, or partying, I have much better options. -14 and splitting wood and filling the wood bin inside? Flannel and a hat. 14 and standing on a lift in the wind troubleshooting a wonky crane? I look like the little brother from Christmas Story, minus the gloves.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:56 pm

After my latest round of blood tests and a ct scan, the pulmonologist is going full speed ahead with the "you have a piece of aspergillus in your lung and it is causing your asthma" diagnosis.
Now I have a new inhaler, steroids (Clint SMASH!) and an antifungal pill.
The good news is that it should take care of the issue in a few months at most. That's especially good since my breathing has been steadily deteriorating since the beginning of the year.
The bad news is the anti fungal is hard on the liver and pancreas so I need to go on a strict diet of fresh meat and vegetables and water. No fruit, no dairy, no starches, no breads, no sugars, no processed foods...and no alcohol. If I don't maintain this diet, I run the risk of diabetes or liver failure.

So now I'm a caveman, apparently.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:53 am

A caveman with steroids... and antifungal medication.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:20 am

Ikoma wrote:A caveman with steroids... and antifungal medication.

I have my next character.

Flaming Penguins
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Flaming Penguins » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:02 pm

No.

"What is up with this penguin?" - Shamus Young, FtB 68

Return to “General Discussion”