Random Forum Thoughts.

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: Random Forum Thoughts.

Postby tombombodil » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:55 pm

BottledViolence wrote:
DistinctlyBenign wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:
DistinctlyBenign wrote:Not everything in life needs a utilitarian approach.

You'll hate my solution then. :lol:

I mean, I'm not against a utilitarian approach to things. I certainly have a utilitarian approach to a lot of stuff in life. For example, my car: As long as it goes from point A to point B I don't really need anything else or care about other 'features' (Well, besides heating and air conditioning, and a functioning radio). And I don't begrudge other people for how they enjoy their tea.

Just saying, everyone has some things in life they want to sit back and enjoy, maybe spend a little extra money on just 'cuz it makes them happy. Tea is one of those things for me.

I didn't mean you would hate that I do it that way, I was just saying that the way I do it is clearly not for you! :thumbup:

That's a surprisingly important quirk of language that I've never really thought about before :think:
Have you found the yellow sign?

Knaight
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Knaight » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:40 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:In general, any practice that gets in the way of that is at best an unnecessary adornment, and at worst mere pretentiousness.

As an American, enjoying any tea that isn't generic Lipton brand teabags that make something that tastes like dishwater (I wouldn't go so far as to call the resulting brew 'tea') has already branded me pretentious. So, I'll gladly keep crossing this line as long as it's enhancing my personal enjoyment of my tea. ;)

As an American who lives near the Celestial Seasonings factory I don't have this problem at all. If anything it's more common than Lipton around here. It's not my favorite tea (Wagh Bakri produces that, there's a cardamom black tea they make that's absolutely amazing) but it's far better than Lipton.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

McNutcase
Wants to try and hold a conversation in Pretty

Postby McNutcase » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:48 pm

Knaight wrote:far better than Lipton.

And here we see a perfect example of "damning with faint praise". I have cleaned ashtrays that would make better tea than Lipton.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Knaight
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Knaight » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:06 am

McNutcase wrote:

And here we see a perfect example of "damning with faint praise". I have cleaned ashtrays that would make better tea than Lipton.

It's actually pretty good - but then Lipton isn't where I draw my low point. That honor belongs to the powdered Nestea "tea" that you stir into water. Also known as why I need to remember to decline when my grandparents offer me "tea".
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

JediSoth
I am the story stick

Postby JediSoth » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:38 am

I grew up on Lipton to the point that my parents REFUSE to drink anything else (especially my father).

My wife and I tend to like more exotic teas (exotic for this area) and buy many of them from The Tea Spot. My favorite was a chamomile mint licorice (and some other stuff) they no longer offer.

Typical. Almost everything I like gets canceled.

My wife really like their Gunpowder Green and their Assam. Since I usually don't have tea until 7 or 8PM while I'm watching TV, I stick to the herbal and decaf varieties.
Last edited by JediSoth on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hans, the Original JediSoth
ENnies Submissions Coordinator & Publisher Relations
@hccummings (Twitter)
Learn about my novels at VFF Publishing

Azhrei Vep
Player Possessed NPC

Postby Azhrei Vep » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:18 am

JediSoth wrote:I grew up on Lipton to the point that my parents REFUSE to drink anything else (especially my father).

My wife and I tend to like more exotic teas (exotic for this area) and buy many of them from The Tea Spot. My favorite was a chamomile mint licorice (and some other stuff) they no longer offer.

My wife really like their Gunpowder Green and their Assam. Since I usually don't have tea until 7 or 8PM while I'm watching TV, I stick to the herbal and decaf varieties.

fix'd
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:23 am

JediSoth wrote:My wife really like their Gunpowder Green and their Assam.

I order my tea from Adagio, I grabbed their Gunpowder Green sample last time I ordered and its quickly becoming one of my favorites, I need to get a full pouch. My go-to is their Pomegranate Green.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

clintmemo
Curses, foiled again by multiple tabs

Postby clintmemo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:33 am

Since we are talking about tea.....

How long are tea leaves good for? Do they ever go bad? I have bunches of Tea that we bought a few of years ago when we were on a tea fad. On the on hand, I'd hate to through it away if it is still good. On the other hand, I could use all that counter space.

Now that I am getting better sleep, I should switch from coffee back to tea.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:47 am

Knaight wrote:
McNutcase wrote:

It's actually pretty good - but then Lipton isn't where I draw my low point. That honor belongs to the powdered Nestea "tea" that you stir into water. Also known as why I need to remember to decline when my grandparents offer me "tea".

Mine is from this fast food joint that's local to STL. I've been to several of their locations and every time their 'tea' is this syrupy (likely as it is from some sort of 'tea' syrup) sludge that has these stringy, swirling floaties of tea syrup that is of different densities than the rest of the liquid.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:49 am

JediSoth wrote:I grew up on Lipton to the point that my parents REFUSE to drink anything else (especially my father).

My wife and I tend to like more exotic teas (exotic for this area) and buy many of them from [url=theteaspot.com]The Tea Spot[/url]. My favorite was a chamomile mint licorice (and some other stuff) they no longer offer.

http://www.sensibiliteasonline.com/teah ... emint.html

First hit on google when I looked up chamomile mint licorice.

Return to “General Discussion”