Super League?

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Super League?

Postby Ikoma » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:36 am

OK... I'm aware of this and the immense fury and flurry of activity over it. But I don't get all the why. One of our non-American booters care to explain it in a little more detail?

I get why fans of clubs NOT being invited to the Super League are pissed off. But why aren't the Bundesliga best teams invited (i.e. Bayern Munich, etc.)? Or are they and aren't joining? And if that's the case, why are the English, Spanish, & Italian best teams joining? And why are fans of the best teams that ARE joining upset? Or am I just seeing a small selection of the fans that are upset on my limited news feeds?

Any insight into this historical sporting event would be appreciated...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Super League?

Postby Ikoma » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:41 am

Or... I guess just point me in a direction to some good articles covering the subject in detail...

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:46 am

What is the Super League? I was thinking maybe this was about a new Superhero video game, but context makes me think sports?
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:06 am

Wayne wrote:What is the Super League? I was thinking maybe this was about a new Superhero video game, but context makes me think sports?

Twelve of the best soccer teams in the world from three different countries are planning on breaking away from the historical Champions League and Champions Cup tournaments to form a new 'Super League'. Yeah... sports.

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:19 pm

Are they leaving their existing leagues completely, or is this a sort of "all star weekend" where they just take a break? I have tried many times to tolerate soccer, but just can't stand it, so I don't know exactly what's going on except that my soccer liking way too much friends are not happy about this.

If it's the sort of thing that threatens traditional leagues and rivalries, I can see where folks would be pissed.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:59 pm

As I understand it... it's kinda both. The teams involved do want to stay in their traditional national leagues. So the English teams would play in the Premier League. But they would NOT play in the historical Champions League.

The way (I think) it works is like this... in the past, teams played in their individual national leagues. The best X teams[1] from individual national leagues qualify for the Champions League (there my be a qualifying pool bit, I'm not 100% sure). There are some special rules like last year's champ always qualifies, if I understand correctly. But basically, you have to do well in your national league to get into the Champions League.

The new Super League would pull all the 'best' teams out of the Champions League and lock them into the new Super League. No chance they ever fail to qualify. And a lot less spots for non-'elites' to get in. They would keep open five slots for all the rest of European soccer teams to fight for on a yearly basis.

One of the coolest parts of international soccer (to me) is the possibility of relegation.[2] Don't perform up to your current league's standards? Drop a league. No 76ers 'Respect the Process' baloney. Even games at the bottom of the standings matter. Less chance of teams just giving up on the season. And the possibility of relegation also allows the possibility of promotion. The spirited team of underdogs you root for can (and very occasionally do) shock the world and move up a league.[3] The golden ring is always there... just at the edge of your reach. But the proposed Super League upsets that apple cart. The top teams are locked in. Cannot get relegated. Cannot fail to qualify. And no one else can get promoted. Sure they can qualify for a stint in the Super League. But they cannot earn a spot there.

[1] As I understand it, some of the better leagues get four teams into the league, while some... less quality leagues only get their winner in. Americans can kind of think of the Bowl Championship Series in college football.

[2] Not saying everyone has to get into soccer. If you've tried watching and it doesn't float your boat, that's just fine.

[3] They almost always drop back down after a season or two.

Lord Foul
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Postby Lord Foul » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:07 pm

Yeah, it's some football thing that has everyone over here on the verge of civil unrest. :facepalm:

BottledViolence wrote:If it's the sort of thing that threatens traditional leagues and rivalries, I can see where folks would be pissed.

As I understand it, that's pretty much the nub of it.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

John
Host

Postby John » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:02 pm

This will be interesting to watch. I thought the college football realignments of ~2010 were a big deal, this is an entirely different level.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:02 pm

And in VERY tangentially related news....

Lord Foul
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Postby Lord Foul » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:52 pm

But it's just a silly game. Why does anybody care? :wtf:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Return to “General Discussion”