Like Riding a Bike

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Like Riding a Bike

Postby tombombodil » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:25 pm

What are some skills ya'll have that no matter how long it's been, or how much it feels like you'll be rusty or unable, you can always just pick right back up with at most a little warm-up required?

For me the big one is reading sheet music. As much as it saddens me, I haven't practiced an instrument regularly in many years, but I put in thousands of hours playing the violin and guitar daily from the age of 5 all the way up until I graduated high school. Every once in a while I'll get the urge to scratch out an old favorite tune or just run through some fiddle exercises and every time it feels like I'll have no idea what to do; but every time I can read that music as easily as I can read printed English, and it always surprises me at least a little.
Have you found the yellow sign?

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Re: Like Riding a Bike

Postby McNutcase » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:27 pm

Playing darts and pool. I haven't thrown a dart in years, but give me a few sighters and I'll be fine.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:08 pm

Canoeing. I hope kayaking will be the same. I'm not great, but the muscles know what to do and I don't hurt the next day, as I would after some other hard work.
Calligraphy; I've been competent at about three scripts, but not learned any new ones, for ages.

John
Host

Postby John » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:07 am

Literacy in the Japanese phonetic scripts (which have only about 100 characters between them, as opposed to the uncountable thousands of the pictograph characters). I used them almost every day during the school year from 8th-12th grade, they're solidly burned into long-term memory.

Of course being able to read them aloud or transliterate them into the Roman alphabet is a very far cry from understanding what they mean.

Return to “General Discussion”