Cut & a Trim

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.

How much do you pay for your grooming? (hair cut, beard trim, shave, etc.)

Less than $20
71%
$20 to $40
29%
$40 to $60
No votes
$60 to $80
No votes
$80 to $100
No votes
More than $100?
No votes

Total votes: 28

Lord Foul
Kangaroo, Buffalo, and Chris, OH MY!

Re: Cut & a Trim

Postby Lord Foul » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:14 pm

BottledViolence wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
Chad wrote:Here is an interesting article on tipping:

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/no ... t-industry

This bit made me chuckle...
William Scott called tipping "a willingness to be servile for a consideration" and mentioned that it was "what we left Europe to escape."

Because now most of Europe either doesn't tip at all, or tips only a very meagre amount, such as whatever is left when rounded up to the nearest convenient item of currency.

Mark this date down on your calendar...

The system used in most of Europe makes a hell of a lot more sense than what we do here.

I am so tempted to quote that in my sig line. :lol:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:58 pm

Tipping was initially a pre-meal bribe for preferential service. Now it's expected. I wonder if we were to reinstitute that system if it would run afoul of anti-bribery laws. :think:
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

terrus
The Baron's Body Double

Postby terrus » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:45 pm

As for the reason I tip my barber is she doesn't own the building so part of the money goes to pay for the building and utilities. The rest is about what I'd pay at one of the bigger companies but I prefer her skills.

Also the advantage of having someone trim your beard is they make it even with clean edges.

Also it is nice to feel "pampered" while they are grooming you.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Oh man, I meant to come back and report.

I picked the place a little further away from my office but a little cheaper. Found out the elderly gentleman who owns the place doesn't actually cut hair much any more. (He's only in one day a week and mostly just takes appointments with his long term ergulars.) A much younger man (I would put him in his late twenties) works every day and this is who trimmed my beard and cut my hair. He has a pretty impressive beard of his own although he did indicate I have the longest beard he has ever personally trimmed. Overall, I paid $40 for the trim and hair cut, but $6 of that was tip. I was pretty happy with that.

I enjoyed the process. Sat down in the chair and rather than just pulling out his scissors and/or clippers, he started with a lot of questions. When was my last hair cut? When did I start growing my beard out? What, if any, products do I use on the beard/mustache? Do I want a handlebar mustache? What do I want the beard to look like? I answered them all as best I could and told him ultimately I was here to see what a professional recommended I do. So here were his recommendations...

He said I ought to just continue to clip my own scalp every two months or so. With my thinning male-pattern baldness, there's not a lot of options for the dome. And he said I can cut it just as easy as he can and do so for less. He recommended I come in every six months to a year to tackle the beard and have him clean up the neck/ears area. As far as the beard goes, he left it almost as long as it was when I came in but shaped it a lot. It looks a lot cleaner, not scraggly. He narrowed it a lot, making it triangular.[1] He did a LOT better trimming my mustache than I do. He also was able to clean up my neck in a way I just cannot even do since from my perspective it's under the beard. It's a very relaxing and enjoyable process - hot towel, blade shave. I'll definitely be back.

[1] After living with the beard for a week, I think next time I go in I'm going to have him widen and round the bottom more. A little more Santa Claus and a little less pointy viking. While I think the pointier beard does a good job of making my face look longer and thinner, it ends up making my belly look bigger.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

John
Host

Postby John » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:47 am

well DO you want a handlebar mustache?

Fridrik
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fridrik » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:44 am

John wrote:well DO you want a handlebar mustache?

Also. Picks or it didn't happen ...

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:47 pm

Fridrik wrote:
John wrote:well DO you want a handlebar mustache?

Also. Picks or it didn't happen ...

On a normal day basis, no. I am not going to put the work into a handlebar.

For the amusement of the forums (and myself), sure. I'll try and waxed handlebar some day this week and post pics.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “General Discussion”