My Home Build Thread

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
JediSoth
I am the story stick

Re: My Home Build Thread

Postby JediSoth » Thu May 23, 2019 8:31 am

We FINALLY got the wet bar installed in the game room. That cancer sure threw off our schedule. We still haven't hung any of our pictures.

I'm going to stick a trash can under the part of the counter that protrudes on the right side and probably store cases of root beer (that Costco only occasionally has, hence caseS) behind that. I still have to install handle hardware on the drawers, but they're easy enough to open empty without them. To my surprise, these Ikea cabinets have soft-close drawer slides. Also to my surprise, bar faucets are stupidly expensive, which is why we're using a kitchen faucet version, instead.

In retrospect, turning on the UV light the dragon is holding probably wasn't smart before I took the picture.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Thu May 23, 2019 12:44 pm

Color me impressed. The wife is lucky if I can keep the drains open and the doors from squeaking. She's got that this huge renovation list that makes my eyes roll. :roll:

JediSoth
I am the story stick

Postby JediSoth » Thu May 23, 2019 12:46 pm

zircher wrote:Color me impressed. The wife is lucky if I can keep the drains open and the doors from squeaking. She's got that this huge renovation list that makes my eyes roll. :roll:

All I did was assemble the cabinets. We hired someone to do the install. I make Tim the Toolman Taylor look like Bob Vila.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

JediSoth
I am the story stick

Postby JediSoth » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:53 am

We keep finding subtle ways in which the contractors screwed us.

They didn't get enough insulation in the attic, partly because the soffits were left open long enough (weather delays) for the humidity to get in and cause some of it to fall down the wall last summer.

We discovered that the guys who built the retaining wall out back extended it about 4' over the property line on the left side of our property, despite our instructions to keep it ALL in our yard. The builder says it's not a big deal because whoever builds on that lot once it sells is going to need a retaining wall also, so they'll just connect it to ours and the other neighbors on the far side anyway.

The landscaper also didn't put irrigation in one of the mulch beds. I don't know if it was because it was too difficult (it's up against the house, with the driveway in front of it, but we were told he had a borer that could reach that far underground) or what. When we called him to ask about it, he told us to never contact him again.

Whomever poured the slab for the garage didn't get it leveled correctly either; the low spot is just inside to the left of the door... right where we put an electrical outlet on the wall so we could use that space to park and charge my wife's wheelchair. I'll have to figure out someway of diverting the water from that area (the water is what comes off the car after rain/snow; the garage doesn't flood).

*sigh*

The builder is a good guy, but some of the contractors he hires are just lazy assholes.

We're making a list of things the builder has to fix before we sign off on the one-year warranty. Everything that doesn't get fixed before then becomes our problem.

Thanks to my wife's illness we still haven't hung all our pictures. I probably should get off my ass and do that. I need to put drawer pulls on the cabinet upstairs, too. I bought some vintage brass handles cast to look like dragons. Vintage... from the 1980s. That'll make you feel old.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

Bai Shen
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Bai Shen » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:05 pm

That's my issue with contractors. Finding ones that will do what they actually agreed to do is ridiculously hard. :(
Vote Mumblebear/CHAINSAW

BottledViolence
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby BottledViolence » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:13 pm

JediSoth wrote:Whomever poured the slab for the garage didn't get it leveled correctly either; the low spot is just inside to the left of the door... right where we put an electrical outlet on the wall so we could use that space to park and charge my wife's wheelchair. I'll have to figure out someway of diverting the water from that area (the water is what comes off the car after rain/snow; the garage doesn't flood).

*sigh*

How low is it? Is there a drain in the garage?

BottledViolence
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby BottledViolence » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:18 pm

Bai Shen wrote:That's my issue with contractors. Finding ones that will do what they actually agreed to do is ridiculously hard. :(

I know a few electrical contractors and most of their issues are with customers who expect them to do things they didn't agree to do.

One that has come up more than once is drywall. The scope of work will detail everything and not include replacing drywall, but the customer will frequently expect the drywall to be replaced after the work even if the contractor says it won't be done. :wtf:

Apparently they want to pay licensed electrician rates for handyman work. :crazy:

Now they quote both with and without drywall replacement, and no one opts for it. :lol:

Dealing with customers is why many contractors won't take small jobs. They need enough profit to make it worth the headaches.

JediSoth
I am the story stick

Postby JediSoth » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:04 am

BottledViolence wrote:
JediSoth wrote:Whomever poured the slab for the garage didn't get it leveled correctly either; the low spot is just inside to the left of the door... right where we put an electrical outlet on the wall so we could use that space to park and charge my wife's wheelchair. I'll have to figure out someway of diverting the water from that area (the water is what comes off the car after rain/snow; the garage doesn't flood).

*sigh*

How low is it? Is there a drain in the garage?

You can't tell there's a low spot unless you get water run off from the car. There's no drain; the house is built up on a hill, so presumably we're high enough to not be susceptible to flooding.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:34 am

Might just be more economical/effective to get one of those push-broom/squeegi things to move the water outside. Or, install some bike hooks in the wall and keep the chair off the ground. Or, use some plastic shelving under the outlet to elevate the chair.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:25 pm

I spent 2 hours helping my friend grout his new tile backsplash this weekend and all I can say is I'm extremely glad I don't do that kind of thing for a living

Lord Foul complained about my phones automatic sig so I changed it. - Sent from jizzmop 4040 using bollocks
Have you found the yellow sign?

Return to “General Discussion”