First World Problems

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: First World Problems

Postby Ikoma » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:47 am

If we had a rooster, sure. But in *most* cities, roosters are illegal. Because they are right proper assholes. Last batch, one of our pullets (juvenile hens) turned out to be mis-sexed. 'She' was a he. And when puberty hit, he had to crow. HAD to crow. At ungodly hours. Not just the crack of dawn like cartoons would have you believe (although they absolutely do crow at sunrise). If he didn't know where one of his hens was, he crowed. If he wasn't fully satisfied with the level in the water trough or food trough, he crowed. If the weather was changing, he crowed. If another animal (cat, dog, deer, etc.) got near the yard, he crowed. We took our rooster down to the local farm where our Agg store get the chicks from where he could crow and not annoy ME... and all our neighbors.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:19 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
John wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
Chad wrote:Lots of eggs, chickens don't give a cluck about panic buying.

Nice

They're jacking up their prices just to feather their nests.

I am unimpressed with your paltry attempts at humour. :problem:

You guys quack me up.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:06 pm

clintmemo wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
John wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
Chad wrote:Lots of eggs, chickens don't give a cluck about panic buying.

Nice

They're jacking up their prices just to feather their nests.

I am unimpressed with your paltry attempts at humour. :problem:

You guys quack me up.

Please don't egg them on...

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:17 pm

Ikoma wrote:If we had a rooster, sure. But in *most* cities, roosters are illegal. Because they are right proper assholes. Last batch, one of our pullets (juvenile hens) turned out to be mis-sexed. 'She' was a he. And when puberty hit, he had to crow. HAD to crow. At ungodly hours. Not just the crack of dawn like cartoons would have you believe (although they absolutely do crow at sunrise). If he didn't know where one of his hens was, he crowed. If he wasn't fully satisfied with the level in the water trough or food trough, he crowed. If the weather was changing, he crowed. If another animal (cat, dog, deer, etc.) got near the yard, he crowed. We took our rooster down to the local farm where our Agg store get the chicks from where he could crow and not annoy ME... and all our neighbors.

gotcha. if you ever go to Kauai, they have wild chickens everywhere. some time ago they all got out and there are no natural predators so they're thriving. the roosters woke us up every morning 5am. it was annoying. they were about as plentiful as squirrels here in the midwest, and we saw multiple chicken roadkill.

you don't usually think of hawaii and chickens but its just that island.
-Casey

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:38 pm

clintmemo wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
Yeah ironically eating fresh meat and stuff with a short shelf life is gonna be easier in a lot of ways.

Assuming that gets restocked...

How long does it take for milk to go from a cow to a grocery store? And all are of those steps still running?

Honestly, I think the link in the chain most at risk is the last one. It's also the most critical and least likely to be allowed to go down completely.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:34 pm

BottledViolence wrote:
clintmemo wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
Yeah ironically eating fresh meat and stuff with a short shelf life is gonna be easier in a lot of ways.

Assuming that gets restocked...

How long does it take for milk to go from a cow to a grocery store? And all are of those steps still running?

Honestly, I think the link in the chain most at risk is the last one. It's also the most critical and least likely to be allowed to go down completely.

That's a good point. With any luck people will be hyper aware of the importance of personal sanitation when doing something like shopping at a grocery store and as a result will do everything they can to not contaminate the stores they go to.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:06 am

Well, I finally found milk. Suddenly the world seems a bit more normal. Maybe now I can actually spend a few days locked inside like I'm supposed to. Here's hoping the panic shoppers re-think their priorities by the time I run out.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:58 am

Yeah... after we got hit with an earthquake this morning, I'm not expecting shopping to go back to normal anytime soon.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:54 pm

I went to Costco and decided to fill up my gas tank while I was there.
Gas was only $1.68 / gallon - a price we have not seen here since maybe 1998.
My problem? I brought the car with the smaller gas tank. :P
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Bai Shen
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Bai Shen » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:53 am

Ikoma wrote:Funny story. We have chickens in our backyard. The current crop has been coming to the end of their laying (and living) period.[1] So we had always planned to buy new pullets this spring and keep the 'free' eggs coming. Turns out the whole COVID-19 scare convinced a lot of other people that it might be a wise long term food storage plan as well. Luckily, the crew down at the local Agg store knows us AND we had ordered the chicks before the scare started up. So we had six set aside for us. But the rest of the batch was snapped up at frankly astronomically high prices for a chick. Probably sold to people who have little idea how to actually keep a chick alive for the couple months it takes for them to really become easy to care for.[2]

[1] We have no plans to kill them / eat them. My girls would lose their minds if we did that in anything other than the most dire of circumstances. But most breeds of chickens do not live a long time past their laying years anyway. Evolutionary, there is little benefit to that.

[2] I'm sorry to say a small clutch had to die for my family to learn how to keep chicks alive. Between letting them get too cold, putting them out too young so that neighborhood cats could enjoy the easy pickings, and learning to clip the wings enough the adult birds cannot jump/flap up and over the fence and be introduced to a dog, we lost that whole first batch.

There was a twitter thing I read where people were asking how to get the eggs out of the chicken and do they eat corn flakes. The thread commented that if you don't know the answers to these questions you shouldn't own chickens.
Vote Mumblebear/CHAINSAW

Return to “General Discussion”