Pet Peeves

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby JediSoth » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:11 pm

tombombodil wrote:People who's desktop wallpapers aren't the same resolution as their desktop.

Or people who use a non-native resolution for their monitor that is also the wrong aspect ratio.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:41 am

I've complained about this before, but I'm kind of sick of the uber-serious drama art-house TV shows of the past few years having entire LONG seasons full of LONG episodes that are tons of build-up and relatively little payoff.

I know this is a product of me watching mostly premium cable shows on Amazon or Hulu or watching Netflix or other streaming original shows which are basically written as meandering mini-series but I still am annoyed by the constant build-up and cliffhangers EVERY episode and very little in the way of cathartic resolution, even at the end of seasons.

Even shows I love like Mr Robot suffer from this; it's an immensely well made show with a ton of depth in the themes and writing but fuck me if every single episode and every single season hasn't ended on some version of "turns out there's something even MORE secret and mysterious and dangerous behind the scenes that we will totally 100% maybe sort of resolve in at the end of the NEXT season" and then they never really do.

It's possible to do strong story telling with arching narratives that still provide bite-sized resolutions from episode to episode. Having to watch 20 goddam hours of (even excellent) television to get something that's more of a sighing decrescendo than a finale is just exhausting and I'm sick of it.

I think the only show that's every really pulled this off is The Wire, kind of. But The Wire never tried to be a show with definitive overarching goals and narratives, it's all exactly as muddled and complex and indeterminate as real life. It doesn't tease you with some specific mystery or resolution and so when it ends on what would be an anti-climax in any other show, it feels totally natural and anything else would feel contrived or unearned.

</rant>
Have you found the yellow sign?

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:01 am

So...you're asking for the return of true episodic drama?
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:03 am

And that's why Walking Dead is garbage. :soapbox: :lol:

Well, one reason. :lol:

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:04 am

BottledViolence wrote:And that's why Walking Dead is garbage. :soapbox: :lol:

I stopped watching the walking dead after the cliff hanger where they killed Glenn but didn't tell anyone.
When I found out it was Glenn that died, I was out.
Apparently, I was not the only one.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm

clintmemo wrote:So...you're asking for the return of true episodic drama?
I think there's a place for all types of story telling if done well, but it seems like 90% of the high quality (in terms of technical competency, production value, and public attention) shows are stories that seem to plan on not having an actual satisfying ending until the very last episode they ever make which frankly rarely happens anyway, because maybe the show doesn't get renewed etc.

I would just like there to be a few more serious dramas that have satisfying self contained narratives scattered throughout the long directionless soooo cool and important main arching narrative.

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:25 pm

clintmemo wrote:

I stopped watching the walking dead after the cliff hanger where they killed Glenn but didn't tell anyone.

I watched for about the first five episodes of the season after that, but found I really had lost my caring for the characters and story.

Glorious_Leader
BABUSHKA!

Postby Glorious_Leader » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:05 pm

keithcurtis wrote:
clintmemo wrote:

I watched for about the first five episodes of the season after that, but found I really had lost my caring for the characters and story.

If I had to advise someone on how to watch Walking Dead I'd advise them to watch all of Season 1, the first two and last two episodes of Season 2, then watch everything up to the escape from Terminus, at which point the show should stop.

At that point it has established the cyclical nature of the setting. They will always seek shelter, find shelter, enjoy the shelter until it is compromised, then move onto new shelter. There's nothing else for the show to say beyond that.
А ну, чики-брики и в дамки

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:22 pm

The scale of their shelters and the power of the people trying to take from them kept getting larger.
The camp on the hill, then the farm, then the prison, then the town...

I did appreciate how the characters got smarter and more skilled as they went along. I just annoyed me that they never seemed to be getting ahead because no matter how smart or skilled they were, there was someone evil that was just a little bit smarter or more skilled that would ruin everything.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:44 pm

Perhaps stop watching once you realise the walking dead are not the zombies? :eh:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Return to “General Discussion”