Pet Peeves

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Pet Peeves

Postby tombombodil » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:30 pm

Slightly different than Grumblies or STYWPWC.

One I'm thinking of right now: Anyone who makes anyone else look worse by association. Basically giving other decent people a bad name by acting like an asshole and participating in the same, game; sport; profession; point of view, ect.
Have you found the yellow sign?

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby BottledViolence » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:35 pm

tombombodil wrote:Slightly different than Grumblies or STYWPWC.

One I'm thinking of right now: Anyone who makes anyone else look worse by association. Basically giving other decent people a bad name by acting like an asshole and participating in the same, game; sport; profession; point of view, ect.

As a UAW member, this is a huge one for me. :facepalm:

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:27 am

Similarly, I hate it when people live up (down) to their stereotype.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Falca
Learn2ChadStyle

Postby Falca » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:35 am

People who don't use a turn signal while driving, particularly on the highway. Get a lot of that in jersey. Drives me nuts.

anthroslug
NZB Leftenant

Postby anthroslug » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:43 am

People who insist that the use of C.E. and B.C.E. as date designation (rather than B.C. and A.D.) are doing so because of "political correctness run amok" when, in fact, it's a dating designation that has been in existence and used by scholars since the 1600s.

Of course, when people whine about that, I always offer to convert everything to YBP (years before present), which really frustrates them.
I'm like a boring, perpetually annoyed Indiana Jones - http://www.anthroslug.blogspot.com

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:45 am

When people, particularly in anime forums, insist on slipping Japanese words into English sentences.

You're learning Japanese. That's great. I'm not. I don't know what you just typed.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

VaMinion
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby VaMinion » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:53 am

anthroslug wrote:People who insist that the use of C.E. and B.C.E. as date designation (rather than B.C. and A.D.) are doing so because of "political correctness run amok" when, in fact, it's a dating designation that has been in existence and used by scholars since the 1600s.

Huh. Today I learned...
Cursing is like a spice. And sometimes you're making thai.

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Postby McNutcase » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:02 pm

anthroslug wrote:People who insist that the use of C.E. and B.C.E. as date designation (rather than B.C. and A.D.) are doing so because of "political correctness run amok" when, in fact, it's a dating designation that has been in existence and used by scholars since the 1600s.

Of course, when people whine about that, I always offer to convert everything to YBP (years before present), which really frustrates them.

Note: the current date is 54 After Present. We are more than fifty years into the future.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:06 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:When people, particularly in anime forums, insist on slipping Japanese words into English sentences.

You're learning Japanese. That's great. I'm not. I don't know what you just typed.

Ugh. Agreed. Unless they are something terribly common to the genre that doesn't translate well, stop it.

Then again, I'm also generally against using the terms 'anime' and 'manga', so I may be a bit on the extreme side of things.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

anthroslug
NZB Leftenant

Postby anthroslug » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:12 pm

McNutcase wrote:

Note: the current date is 54 After Present. We are more than fifty years into the future.

Pardon me, I couldn't hear what you said over the sound that my rocket jetpack makes when I commute to work.
I'm like a boring, perpetually annoyed Indiana Jones - http://www.anthroslug.blogspot.com

Return to “General Discussion”