Bittersweet things go here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Re: Bittersweet things go here

Postby Leoff » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:46 am

Well, Dad's knee replacement surgery went well. He may be home by Sonday.
That's sweet. The bitter ... well, more like gristly... is that Mom is showing real signs of disorientation now. She's been easily exhausted, sort of uninspired and vague, for a while now; Dad is mostly mentally sharp except no concept of deadlines, plane schedules, days of the week etc.
The day after Dad went in for surgery Mom got up from a nap and was wandering around trying to find him.
I and my brother and sister-in-law who live close by agree that it's time for them to be in assisted living. For a very rural backwater place there is quite a good selection of places, both assisted living and total care facilities. All the folks' friends are in the area, some already in one or another of these places. We hope there's space at the assisted living, not just the nursing homes. But I believe they'd already planned for that quite a while ago.
The difficult bit will be working with all my other siblings, some of whom want the folks to move out from Manitoba to BC to be close to them.
I'll be going out this week to be with them and we'll see what can be done. I love trips to Manitoba but this one will be somewhat stressful.

JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby JediSoth » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:28 am

I keep getting regular reminders that my car's lease is up this year (end of August). I've enjoyed my Nissan Leaf and it doesn't feel like I've had it three years already.

Also, I don't have time to fart around trying to get a new car right now. I'm building a house!
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

anthroslug
NZB Leftenant

Postby anthroslug » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:43 am

My daughter no longer wants to sit on my lap when I read her bedtime story. On the one hand, it shows that she is getting a bit more independent...in the other hand, it means a bit less time cuddling with dad.
I'm like a boring, perpetually annoyed Indiana Jones - http://www.anthroslug.blogspot.com

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Tue May 22, 2018 6:39 am

I'm heading back to Manitoba today, this time to do my best to get the folks to go to a seniors' residence. I always enjoy MB, and the people I'm visiting, but this is likely to be a stressful one. It's only a ten day or so trip, which is barely enough time, I think, but I don't want to be pushing either. This is a time for tact and diplomacy, which aren't my strong stats.
Also my phone died and I will get a new one.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:23 pm

I'm not going on the summer family vacation. Middle son has recently begun marching band camp and it turns out he loves it. We had already cleared the vacation with the band director, so it's not like he HAS to go. He just would rather go to band camp than this vacation. I'm a little surprised at him here, but the wife and I wanted to support him in this enthusiasm, we just didn't know how. Then a project kind of blew up at work. No one expected me to stay to work on it or even asked me to. I knew (and so did everyone else) that it wouldn't get fixed until I got back. Well... talking with the wife last night, it became apparent we could kind of address both situations at once.

I stay home and get the boy to band camp and back. I also am a rock-star at the office for fixing a problem. As a extra perk, I get a free Saturday to tackle a toilet repair project (not really a bonus, in fact, maybe part of the bitter). I just don't get the trip with the rest of the family and we'll kind of miss Father's Day as most of the family will be traveling back that day. As a consolation prize, I get ridiculous amounts of gaming time over the next four days. And again, my boss thinks I am the greatest employee ever. (I am really playing up the imposition I am enduring to address the situation to get all the brownie points I can out of it.)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:59 pm

Ikoma? More like Bayushi wrote: As a consolation prize, I get ridiculous amounts of gaming time over the next four days. And again, my boss thinks I am the greatest employee ever. (I am really playing up the imposition I am enduring to address the situation to get all the brownie points I can out of it.)

Well played.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:26 am

So they are making "Enter the Dragon" which prompt a big fat, "WHY!?" from me. That movie is... well... a foundation. You're going to be compared to Bruce Lee! How can you possibly match up?

But...

David Leitch (aka director of Deadpool 2) is at the helm. Maybe he can do something to save this. I'm skeptical but I'll give them room to take a swing at it. Try not to be too prejudicial about it.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:43 am

Ikoma wrote:So they are making "Enter the Dragon" which prompt a big fat, "WHY!?" from me. That movie is... well... a foundation. You're going to be compared to Bruce Lee! How can you possibly match up?

But...

David Leitch (aka director of Deadpool 2) is at the helm. Maybe he can do something to save this. I'm skeptical but I'll give them room to take a swing at it. Try not to be too prejudicial about it.

They are remaking "Enter the Dragon?" How? Bruce Lee not withstanding, you would either have to make it a terribly unaware period piece or a completely different movie set in modern times - or a self-aware parody.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz

Postby Knaight » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:54 pm

Ikoma wrote:So they are making "Enter the Dragon" which prompt a big fat, "WHY!?" from me. That movie is... well... a foundation. You're going to be compared to Bruce Lee! How can you possibly match up?

What I'm hearing is they need to find Tony Jaa for the lead role.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:33 am

Dropped oldest daughter off at college yesterday. The very definition of bitter and sweet.

Return to “General Discussion”