Bittersweet things go here

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Krenn
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Bittersweet things go here

Postby Krenn » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:47 pm

This is... tough. I'm saddened beyond words that it's come to this, but I'm happy that Terry Pratchett can choose his own destiny.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/ju ... d-his-life

Sir Terry Pratchett, the fantasy writer who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2008, said yesterday he had started the formal process that could lead to his own assisted suicide at the Dignitas clinic in Switzerland.

Code: Select all

|                 \0/   0    0/  /0\
|                  |   /|\   |\   |
|                 / \  / \  / \  / \

MrElzebub
Loves to Cuddle Afterward

Re: Bittersweet things go here

Postby MrElzebub » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:35 pm

I'm sad to hear that we are going to be losing such a great talent. Alzheimer's sadly was stealing him already. I can only image how hard it must be for such a great mind, known for his cleverness, to be faced with a disease that steals who you are one piece at a time.
Free Whatever it is that Delicious Humanoids Like! Inquire Within.

Lord Foul
Ducking Post Whore

Postby Lord Foul » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Agreed, it will be a tragic loss. However, Sir Terry has managed to do more to raise the profile of Alzheimer's sufferers, and to open a public discussion of the right to die, than anyone else before him.

He will be remembered not only as a great writer, but as a man who got shit done! :thumbup:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Kali
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Kali » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:43 pm

His books were some of the first fantasy novels I ever read, and I've been visiting Discworld for more than half my life. It's sad to realize that it has to come to an end. I hope that whatever time is left to him is used and enjoyed to its fullest. Having seen what Alzheimer's can do to someone, I can almost understand wanting to have an "escape plan" as an option.
Face it. Nobody does "emo" like an Elder god.
pkalata wrote:Oh, my nerd rage is potent.

Cthulhu fhtagn, y'all!

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:19 pm

We have a small hutch in one corner of our living room. Karla's glass work is displayed on most of its shelves, but I have one set aside where I put my most important life mementos. I guess it's my own little memorial to the things I hold most dear.

When I was a child, my grandma used to always wear a star sapphire ring. I would play with it while sitting next to her in church. I loved how it was deep blue from one angle, but when it caught the light just right, a bright white star would suddenly appear.

She died in the mid-90s from a sudden brain hemorrhage. After she went, the only thing I asked for from her estate was that ring. It now sits in a ring box on that shelf with my grandfather's wedding band set over and around it. I take it out every so often and turn it just like I used to when I was a child, watching that star appear and disappear.

I'm not sure he's old enough to understand, but a few months ago I was able to take it out and tell my four-year-old nephew the story about his great-grandmother's ring.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Terry Pratchett will be sorely missed. I just found out the news on Mikeys Facebook. :(

Discworld is my favorite fictional universe, and Terry is by far and away my favorite author. I almost flew out to Arizona for a Discworld convention in 2009, but decided it was too expensive. I am kicking myself for not doing that now.

:cry:

His next book will be his last one then? Its a City Watch book, I believe.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Jahaili
Red Boba Fett

Postby Jahaili » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:14 pm

Dan wrote:We have a small hutch in one corner of our living room. Karla's glass work is displayed on most of its shelves, but I have one set aside where I put my most important life mementos. I guess it's my own little memorial to the things I hold most dear.

When I was a child, my grandma used to always wear a star sapphire ring. I would play with it while sitting next to her in church. I loved how it was deep blue from one angle, but when it caught the light just right, a bright white star would suddenly appear.

She died in the mid-90s from a sudden brain hemorrhage. After she went, the only thing I asked for from her estate was that ring. It now sits in a ring box on that shelf with my grandfather's wedding band set over and around it. I take it out every so often and turn it just like I used to when I was a child, watching that star appear and disappear.

I'm not sure he's old enough to understand, but a few months ago I was able to take it out and tell my four-year-old nephew the story about his great-grandmother's ring.

That made me tear up a little bit. That's a beautiful story, Dan.

My favorite uncle passed away unexpectedly at a fairly young age last Halloween, and one month ago I found some flower seeds he had sent me forever ago. I can't grow the flowers; the seeds are no good anymore.

They were forget-me-nots.
Need an editor? Send me a PM. I do copyediting as well as more in-depth editing of fiction and creative nonfiction.

Kali
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Kali » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:36 pm

Saragon and I are moving into my grandmother's house when we're done with the renovations. (Papa passed away ten years ago, and Grandma has been moved to assisted living because of advanced Alzheimer's.) My grandparents kept me and my brother during the day while my parents worked, so the house is full of memories for me. Renovating it has been difficult sometimes because I'm trying to strike a balance between moving into the house I lived in and loved my entire childhood and making it my own home so that Saragon and I aren't living in someone else's house. It was particularly painful letting go of the kitchen table. We had no place for it, but every time I looked at it I remembered a lifetime's memories of eating at it with the people I love.

Perhaps the most bittersweet moments for me have been emptying the house of 60 years of stuff from my grandparents' lives. Emptying the drawers, cleaning out the closets, and sorting through the attic I realized that even though I've known Papa and Grandma all my life, I never really met Ray and Bea until now. Reading old letters, looking at shoeboxes full of photographs, and sorting through all the things that they felt were important enough to save, I learned a lot about two young people deeply in love with each other who grew up, raised a family, and grew old together--and also happened to be my grandparents.
Face it. Nobody does "emo" like an Elder god.
pkalata wrote:Oh, my nerd rage is potent.

Cthulhu fhtagn, y'all!

Jahaili
Red Boba Fett

Postby Jahaili » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:29 pm

That is so cool, Kali.

My grandfathers both passed away before I was born; my grandmothers always lived pretty far away. It's only recently that I've begun to have some form of relationship with them (or at least, the memory of them). My mother gave me a cedar chest that her dad had given her mom at their wedding. It's currently storing the leftover mead from my own wedding.

It's a nice thought.
Need an editor? Send me a PM. I do copyediting as well as more in-depth editing of fiction and creative nonfiction.

Jinx
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Jinx » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:34 am

I've got a shoebox full of little trinkets that I've told ony of my Lance Corporals to burn if I ever fail to turn up for parade. I've burnt more than a couple of them now and it's a point of tremendous pride to me that I've never opened any of them.

It's the last most important duty for me, and more and more I find the things going into my box are not things that remind me of my life, but things to remember others by, untill a few weeks ago I had a bit of an epiphany that I'll share. The box isn't about secrets, or endless remembrance it's about release. When I die, I no longer carry the burden of remembering all my friends, and all the little moments stored in there can be burned. They don't mean anything to anyone else anyway, and it's my duty earned the hard way, they were my friends.

All of a sudden I understand why the Sarn't Major told me never to look in them. It's rather nice to think about it that way, once I'm gone, all my duties are done with and tied off. I think I'll add my copy of Nightwatch to my box today.
Jester Without Portfolio.

Jinx Zero - XB:Live

Return to “General Discussion”