Tastes You've Acquired (or not)

Off-topic discussion that doesn't fit anywhere else.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Tastes You've Acquired (or not)

Postby tombombodil » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:05 am

List some foods or beverages that you hated or just didn't like or maybe were indifferent to, but eventually grew not only to like, but really sincerely enjoy.

For me there is very little food in this category since I like, or will eat without complaint, almost anything, and the few things I really REALLY just don't like are beyond redemption.

I have beverages however that I hated as a kid/teenager but legitimately love now. The big one is coffee in all it's shapes and forms. Particularly black coffee -french press or drip- and espresso (not a big fan of sugary coffee-based drinks like 95% of what Starbucks sells). I tried coffee a couple times in high school and HATED it, really really hated it. But at some point midway through college when I started drinking it out of necessity (mostly because I hated energy drinks even more), and now I not only like coffee but really love it not just for the caffeine but for it's flavor. I'd even go so far as to say I'm kind of a coffee snob (which isn't to say I won't drink shitty coffee in a pinch, but I do really prefer high quality coffee),
Have you found the yellow sign?

JediSoth
I am the story stick

Re: Tastes You've Acquired (or not)

Postby JediSoth » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:21 am

Coffee is probably the biggest one for me, too, for much the same reasons (and w/the same preferences as Tom B.). I drink A LOT of it after giving up sugary soda (I only use 2 tsp. max in the average cup of coffee I drink and switch to decaf in the afternoons).

Another is sfogliatella, aka lobster-shell pastry. My wife turned me on to them; we have to order them from a bakery in Philadelphia. The first time I had one, I was really meh, about it, but she enjoyed it as a treat from back east. But now, OMG they're so freakin' good. Phyllo dough wrapped around a filling of ricotta, semolina, and diced up... things (it varies from recipe to recipe, the ones we get use orange peel).
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

Azhrei Vep
Player Possessed NPC

Postby Azhrei Vep » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33 am

If anything, I've steadily been unquiring tastes as time has gone on. I used to eat basically anything. Now most of that stuff would disgust me.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:36 am

I can bring up a (not). Tomatoes.

Every damn time someone finds out I don't like tomatoes they go on and on about how I just must not have tried fresh ones or tried them in the right food or some other baloney. I don't like them. I never have. I never will. It's as much psychological as it is taste and it's mostly texture anyway. Every once in a while, someone thinks they can sneak them into something and I'm gonna be so surprised and thankful that they have enlightened me. It never works. And it always pisses me off.

My mom (and dad) came from the 'clean your plate' school of feeding children. I get it more now that I'm a dad. Looking back, I see all the signs about how tight money must have been and how hard mom must have been working to get the most out of the food budget. I can also see how any food going to waste in the garbage can would have felt to them. For most foods, it didn't have horrible consequences. You might not like green beans, but you could suck it up and force a small serving down. But tomatoes.... for me and my two brothers, were a different story. The texture of the tomato just made us all gag. Not just don't like the flavor, but physically start to gag. I have no doubt psychology played a part. We got ourselves worked up. And I get how it must have looked to our folks, like we were being overly dramatic (which we could be on occasion). Maybe all of that was true, but it was more as well. Anyway, I remember more than one night where the three of us sat around the table with nothing but a slice of tomato, or chucks of tomato from a salad sitting on our plates. We couldn't leave the table until we finished them. Eventually, we would force them down. More than once, we threw up immediately afterwords. (I'm convinced my mom thought we were faking that at the time.) Once, my brother spent all night at the table and went to school the next day without breakfast (because the tomato from last night WAS 'his' breakfast). It turned into a weird contest of wills between our mom and each of us. This is the only part of my relationship with my mom that went like this, so there must be more too it from her end as well. Anyway, to this day I cannot stand any piece of tomato large enough to have any tomato texture. And I'm not a big fan of things that are too 'tomato-ey' either. Ketchup, fine, it's something where the tomato is so processed, it's not recognizable. But marinara sauce can be too chunky and I won't like it. Same with a pico de gallo. Salsa can get 'blended' enough that I can eat it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:54 am

Cantaloupe and honeydew melon. I couldn't stand either one as a kid, now I'm fairly fond of them.
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

clintmemo
Paid to GM

Postby clintmemo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Acquired:
Coffee - hated it until I was about 22, then started with coffee plus tons of crap and over time put less crap in it. I'll sometimes drink coffee black if it is coffee I like - I should do that all the time.
Beer - I thought all beer tasted like vomit until I was about 30, then found that some actually didn't.

Unacquired:
Melons: Watermelon is ok. Honeydew is not. Cantelope is vile, so vile that I will not eat fruit from a fruit tray if the tray has cantelope on it because the taste of cantelope taints everything on the tray. I'm not talking about a fruit salad. I'm talking about a tray with fruit in separate compartments all under one lid. And it's totally a taste thing. I love the texture of melons. If I were a wizard, I would make a melon that tasted like an orange or an apple.

Reacquired:
Spinach: I loved it as a kid. Hated it as teenager. then started loving it again in my 40's.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:36 pm

Ikoma wrote:I can bring up a (not). Tomatoes.

Every damn time someone finds out I don't like tomatoes they go on and on about how I just must not have tried fresh ones or tried them in the right food or some other baloney. I don't like them. I never have. I never will. It's as much psychological as it is taste and it's mostly texture anyway. Every once in a while, someone thinks they can sneak them into something and I'm gonna be so surprised and thankful that they have enlightened me. It never works. And it always pisses me off.

What about tomato based sauces?

I'm the same way with cold cheese. That may sound like a weird thing to say but like, melted parmesan on pasta, cheese on pizza or melted on a hamburger is fine. But any kind of cold cut cheese on a sandwich or cracker or by itself I find extremely gross and have ever since I was a little kid.

John
Host

Postby John » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Love black coffee, over-the-top scotchy Scotch, anchovies, oysters, kimchi, brussels sprouts/spinach/other leafy greens that people hate, livers/gizzards/organ meat, a lot of other stuff people find gross. I suspect my taste buds are way less numerous/sensitive than average (maybe also my sense of smell?) because these kinds of flavors that other people can't even stand to be near don't strike me as overpowering at all. Same goes in the other direction, I think mass-produced light lagers mostly taste good even though some of the same people I trust when they tell me my Laphroaig nauseates them also tell me my Bud Light offends their senses.

Don't care at all for cream cheese. Don't care for sour beer or most IPAs. Don't care for that dill/pickly flavor.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:54 pm

hot sauce. never really liked spicy things above normal buffalo sauce. then about 6 years I ago went to Korea multiple times and tried spicier and spicier food. and then singapore multiple times as well. i think just the normal level of spice in the east asian countries cuisine has ruined american food for me and i built up a taste for it.

now i put hot sauce on everything and dont find things in the US marked 'spicy' hot at all
-Casey

[red]
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby [red] » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:00 pm

Acquired: Bourbon, Scotch, Coffee

Un-acquired: Tea, Beer (though i still won't touch a light beer, Coors, or anything like it).
--- < :facepalm: > ---

Return to “General Discussion”