Hitting people w/ sticks- SCA and Boffer LARPing, & LARPing

Fear the Boot Ask Me Anything - We seem to have a lot of subject matter experts here at FtB, let's spread that knowledge around!
Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz

Re: Hitting people w/ sticks- SCA and Boffer LARPing, & LARPing

Postby Knaight » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:31 am

Actually yes. I've sparred with the Longmont Jugger team before, and there was an event I went to with a number of different groups there, them included. I ended up doing a bit of Jugger with said team at the event. It's fun, but it's not something I'd want to focus in on. I was talking to one of the players and they isolated the sport-like elements as why they like Jugger, saying that it's not just about the fighting. It's a useful point of analysis, as that's exactly why I'm not too hugely fond of it; I like my sport-fighting a bit closer to the fighting end of the spectrum.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

Fridrik
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fridrik » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:22 am

Thank you for the answer.
I've done Jugger, but never LARP so I was curious what the functional difference was.

EDIT: For those that haven't tried. Jugger is great fun. It's a nerd sport par excellence. And usuely does not take itself to seriously. Case in point. The Poo in Piglet suits on an end of a chain and the huge cartoon hammer are both acceptable weapons.

LINKS: http://www.jugger.org.au/ AND http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jugger

Some self gratifying picks.

Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz

Postby Knaight » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:27 am

It depends on the team really. The Longmont Jugger team uses extremely standardized equipment in which neither of those would see the light of day, and take a very competitive approach (which makes it way more fun, though there are still aspects I dislike). I wouldn't characterize them as taking it too seriously though.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

OrknessRising
BABUSHKA!

Postby OrknessRising » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:06 pm

For some reason the board *only today* told me of the PM tagging me for this board, so I apologize for the late start. I will answer anything I can, and here is the primer:

I have done SCA heavy fighting, but it's been forever. I have done RPS LARP (rock-paper-scissors) before, mostly old World of Darkness, but was involved in some new WoD, but that has also been a while.

I am currently involved in a monthly boffer LARP that is Fantasy/Steampunk fusion. Boffer LARP is what I am most experienced in, specifically HP based systems rather than injury based systems.

Return to “FtB AMA”