AMA About Clinical Psychology (and RPGs!)

Fear the Boot Ask Me Anything - We seem to have a lot of subject matter experts here at FtB, let's spread that knowledge around!
CaptainKobold
BABUSHKA!

Re: AMA About Clinical Psychology (and RPGs!)

Postby CaptainKobold » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:38 pm

What are your feelings on emotion mapping?

I'm not actually sure! I did a quick Google search to see what you were talking about with this, so if I'm wildly wrong about what you were curious about, let me know! If Emotion Mapping is the idea of marking on a person where they subjectively experience emotion, then we're on the same page.

I do think that there is something to be said for how humans experience emotions bodily. I know that when I feel anger, I feel heat in my shoulders, arms, head, etc and when I feel disgust, it's down in my gut. That doesn't mean, of course, that the emotions are happening there, simply that the body reacts in that way. I don't feel that there's any need to take big leaps from that information to suggest anything else, it isn't a cause, it's an effect.

On the plus side, emotion mapping (I really hope I have the right concept here!) can be really helpful working with people (especially children) who have trouble identifying or experiencing their emotions. I've worked with severely angry kids and children with autism specifically with taking drawn figures (kids love drawing!) and drawing with colors where they feel different things. For autistic kids, this can be helpful to identify and systematize their emotions, for angry kids this can be helpful for avoiding BIG blowups later one (they identify their anger earlier and are able to take actions to stop bad decisions).

Some developmental and behavioral stuff. Have there been any studies regarding whether it is more impactful to teach information (facts, details, concepts etc.) or processes (how to research, analyze, deconstruct)? If there are any studies do they talk about how the different approaches affect attitudes and world view?

Hmmm... I'm sure that there have been and there are definitely educators that lean more towards one way than another. I'm unfortunately not very well read up on this, this would be a topic that a specific educational psychology individual would be able to talk about for days, I'm sure!

A lot of cognitive behavioral treatment is psychoeducation and skills based. There are obviously a lot of different ways that this is approached and can be described, but if you pare down a lot of the talk most things will come down to one of those two things (or using intrinsic biological processes like exposure). I think psychoeducation would fall under teaching information and is usually regarded as a first step which will in some cases help people on it's own. Skill work may fall more under processes (skills can include understanding why something happened the way that it did, Antecedent lead to Behavior lead to Consequences for the good old ABC chain analysis model!).

I kind of just spitballed a little on that, honestly, I'm not sure that I can be very helpful for that one! Sorry, Magmoo!
Answering questions about Psychology and RPGs over here!

Return to “FtB AMA”