AMA about DIY (not punk but that might come up too)

Fear the Boot Ask Me Anything - We seem to have a lot of subject matter experts here at FtB, let's spread that knowledge around!
Vinnie_Vidivici
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Re: AMA about DIY (not punk but that might come up too)

Postby Vinnie_Vidivici » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:09 pm

tombombodil wrote:If it is a thing that someone at some point has done, odds are there's a youtube tutorial for it.

Yes! Absolutely. I don't do car repair, but I got through my first real auto repair DIY via YouTube. My nephew is a mechanic, and when my 'check engine' light came on, he plugged in a doohickey to my van and told me what module to replace. 4 screws to remove, be sure to get the spark plug wires back on in the right order, and you're done. Cost me only $60. Brilliant!

Problem is, he didn't know about the hidden screw on the bottom of the power steering reservoir. When I Googled that, I was pointed to a YouTube video on how to change the reservoir and fluid to eliminate that horrid whining noise that Chrysler products develop when the filter screen is clogged. Well, hell--I already had the reservoir off to change the module. $35 more at AutoZone and I was feeling pretty damn manly.
“To day is a good day to die for all the things of my life are present." --Crazy Horse, prior to the battle of Little Big Horn

Vinnie_Vidivici

Postby Vinnie_Vidivici » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:14 pm

BottledViolence wrote:Good point about the bucket and flashlight! Even with the water off there is still some in the line and your drain has all sorts of nasty stuff you dont want to lay in while wrestling with a rotted out fitting.

Voice of bitter experience: when you want to empty the bucket, do not mindlessly dump it down the sink you just finished disassembling. Especially if you had shoved a sofa cushion under the sink to lie on.

:facepalm:
“To day is a good day to die for all the things of my life are present." --Crazy Horse, prior to the battle of Little Big Horn

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:38 pm

Vinnie_Vidivici wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:Good point about the bucket and flashlight! Even with the water off there is still some in the line and your drain has all sorts of nasty stuff you dont want to lay in while wrestling with a rotted out fitting.

Voice of bitter experience: when you want to empty the bucket, do not mindlessly dump it down the sink you just finished disassembling. Especially if you had shoved a sofa cushion under the sink to lie on.

:facepalm:

:lol:

My ex almost did that to me while I was under the kitchen sink. :lol:

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:21 am

You guys mentioned that Google is your friend when looking for information or instructions or even project ideas. Are there any sites that you find yourself returning to again and again?

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:03 am

Chad wrote:You guys mentioned that Google is your friend when looking for information or instructions or even project ideas. Are there any sites that you find yourself returning to again and again?

While not an expert on this one, I don't think it can be stressed enough how useful youtube can be.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:32 am

tombombodil wrote:
Chad wrote:You guys mentioned that Google is your friend when looking for information or instructions or even project ideas. Are there any sites that you find yourself returning to again and again?

While not an expert on this one, I don't think it can be stressed enough how useful youtube can be.

While I have succesfully found useful instructional videos on YouTube, I orften have to go through a few made by people who aren't good teachers (making unspoken assumptions that the neophyte doesn't know they need to make, answering a different question than the one in the video title, etc). So I guess I would ask, are there particular YouTube users or channels that people would recommend?
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

BadMrMojo
I am the story stick

Postby BadMrMojo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:13 pm

I browse Instructables for neat ideas more often than I refer to it, usually. Looking back, I suppose I have relied heavily on it for a few things and - in hindsight - this project really made me start itching to work with arduinos.

For soldering, there is only one resource necessary: The soldering comic.

I've already mentioned it and they're primarily a shop, but I really like the tutorials on Adafruit, even if they are pimping their own products.

... And in a slightly different vein, I get snared in the web that is Thingiverse every once in a while and lose entire nights. It's like the TV Tropes of additive manufacturing.

As far as a regular reference, however, I don't have a particularly good go-to place (yet). Now that I think of it, a Stack Overflow for physical stuff would be amazing. If it exists, however, I'm not aware of it yet.

Unlike most folks, I usually don't care for YouTube instructions for most stuff. While obviously a sweeping generalization, for some mysterious reason I tend to gravitate towards topics that seem to be populated exclusively by self-proclaimed experts with poor social skills and an appalling lack of self-awareness.

I'm certain that says way more about them than me, right? :)

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:19 pm

There are a lot of channels on YouTube that feature random clowns that don't really offer much in the way of quality instruction. A lot of web sites have their own instructional videos on things that are pretty good. Home Depot has some good ones that highlight products that you might use and you know that what they call it in the video is what they call it in the store. If you watch a video that says to use a painter's knife, then go in and ask for one they might look at you like you have two heads because they don't know it's a 5 in 1 tool.

+1 on most of the stuff BMM said about the places he likes. I still have to go to Adafruit and see if anyone can tell me why my voltage is so low on my Ice Tube Clock kit.

Tubalcain/mrpete222 has a series of videos on YT about machining, mostly lathe stuff. Make: has a lot of good projects. Weld.com has a series of welding videos, but I haven't gone through many of them so I can't personally vouch for them.

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:24 pm

I should also add that a few reference books can be handy. Black and Decker has a good one for wiring, and I have an older one that if I found an updated version would be great for general household repairs. Google is good, but having a book you can lay out and flip back and forth through can be better sometimes.

Vinnie_Vidivici

Postby Vinnie_Vidivici » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:47 pm

BottledViolence wrote:I should also add that a few reference books can be handy.

Home Depot's 1-2-3 series is good if you're starting from scratch. I started doing basic wiring repairs based entirely on Wiring 1-2-3.

Return to “FtB AMA”