Let's Brainstorm

Fear the Boot Ask Me Anything - We seem to have a lot of subject matter experts here at FtB, let's spread that knowledge around!
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Re: Let's Brainstorm

Postby BottledViolence » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:31 pm

anthroslug wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
Chris wrote:The prepper and survivalist peeps (forget who, atm). I'd love to hear a lot about that. Where to start, philosophy, etc.

I have a passing familiarity with some things, but I would very much like to know more.

I don't do "prepping" in any way that would warrant that title. Basically I always have a first aid kit, and the 10 essentials (plus or minus 1 or 2) on me (in my car). But for wilderness survival and preparedness, especially in the context of a planned camping or backpacking trip, I'm your man.

I'm the boring kind of prepper. I stay comfortable and well fed during long power outages. I dont freak out when ice storms hit since I can feed myself for a month on basics. If these is a real SHTF type situation, I'm pretty well set also but I don't feed into the doomsday prepper stereotype. No one wants to watch me and my stock of dry goods and fresh water on TV. :(

I need to renew my supplies, but I used to have a supply of fresh water, canned and dried foods, etc. When I was asked by someone why I was "stockpiling" I simply pointed out that we live in an active earthquake zone, and that service disruptions as a result of earthquakes are not unheard of.

They still thought I was being paranoid.

Hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, power outages... Nowhere is immune to disruptions of some sort. When the big east coast blackout killed the power all the way out almost to Chicago, people should have realized this. One tip about fresh water: when the power goes out and the pumps go down, there is still water but not enough pressure to keep nasty stuff out of the pipes and no processing to keep it clean so you can still have water to boil if you have a means to, or to keep your toilet flushing. But CLEAN water is available too most of the time. Shut off the supply line the your hot water heater and turn off the gas to it. You now have a 40gallon clean water reservoir. There is even a faucet for it at the bottom. You'll recognize it as the thing you use to flush the sediment from your hot water tank every year. Yeah, start doing that too. :lol:

DiY and prepper tip 2 for 1. :thumbup:

D3M410
Myopic Sycophant

Postby D3M410 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:06 am

I'm interested in hearing about anyone's customs that are unlike my own: Maryland Episcopalian 25 year old single guy.

I'd also like to do one on graphic design, since painting/drawing, design is probably the single area I am objectively the worst at.

Hmm... Former racist, also sounds interesting since its pretty rare that people are willing to admit that.
Been out of the world for a spell... like to walk it a while.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:18 am

D3M410 wrote:I'd also like to do one on graphic design, since painting/drawing, design is probably the single area I am objectively the worst at.

I was thinking about a Photoshop one but went with Teaching instead.

I might do a Photoshop next. :think:

sbonner
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby sbonner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:55 pm

D3M410 wrote:Hmm... Former racist, also sounds interesting since its pretty rare that people are willing to admit that.

Yeah, you don't hear that admission often. I'm a former homophobe, but that admission is not so rare just yet.
This is what happens when you let nerds go unwedgied for too long. - Goatunit
FTB on Google+

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:17 pm

I think we where supposed to have an AMA this week but I got busy and dropped the ball. It's a bit late to start a new one so I'll fire one up on 2/3. If you don't see one then bug me about it.

Sorry all!

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Because I can't find my duck alignment tool to check for myself, what's the next topic?

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:14 pm

I haven't picked it yet.

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:35 pm

Check. Any experts on procrastination? [ducking and running] :-)

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:37 pm

zircher wrote:Check. Any experts on procrastination? [ducking and running] :-)

I'LL GET YOU!!! at some point...

Fledge
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby Fledge » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:36 pm

I regularly practice and teach parkour at a community/university level. I'd love to talk about the philosophies inherent in that pursuit and point people in the right direction if they were interested in beginning to train.

Fledge on Steam.
Friend me!

Return to “FtB AMA”