Let's Brainstorm

Fear the Boot Ask Me Anything - We seem to have a lot of subject matter experts here at FtB, let's spread that knowledge around!
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: Let's Brainstorm

Postby tombombodil » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:29 pm

VaMinion wrote:
DocTWisted wrote:
tombombodil wrote:Being a family person (ie having a spouse and kids). Something I have more or less zero experience with. Never having even lived with a significant other.

Than shouldn't we first have a discussion on how to find a significant other worth keeping?

The ups, downs, and pitfalls of living with someone else could be worth it too. I know there's a lot I didn't think about before I moved in with an ex-gf, and that experience completely changed how I approached moving in with my wife.

Yeah, roommates in general is a whole other animal. There's a reason they warn you against being freshman roommates with your best friend from high school unless you're 100% certain it will work. I've known people who have almost permanently ruined their friendship by assuming that because they got along socially that they'd be great roommates.

Turns out living together compatibility, and social/emotional compatibility are two totally different things.

So in conclusion, add to the brainstorming list,
Finding and adapting to living with someone, whether a friend, SO or simply a roommate of convenience. Experts being anyone who has gone through this process several times.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Chris
Host

Postby Chris » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:02 pm

The prepper and survivalist peeps (forget who, atm). I'd love to hear a lot about that. Where to start, philosophy, etc.

I have a passing familiarity with some things, but I would very much like to know more.
The Adventures of Young & Holt - A Deadlands: Reloaded Actual Play podcast

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:14 pm

Chris wrote:The prepper and survivalist peeps (forget who, atm). I'd love to hear a lot about that. Where to start, philosophy, etc.

I have a passing familiarity with some things, but I would very much like to know more.

I don't do "prepping" in any way that would warrant that title. Basically I always have a first aid kit, and the 10 essentials (plus or minus 1 or 2) on me (in my car). But for wilderness survival and preparedness, especially in the context of a planned camping or backpacking trip, I'm your man.

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:39 pm

tombombodil wrote:
Chris wrote:The prepper and survivalist peeps (forget who, atm). I'd love to hear a lot about that. Where to start, philosophy, etc.

I don't do "prepping" in any way that would warrant that title. Basically I always have a first aid kit, and the 10 essentials (plus or minus 1 or 2) on me (in my car). But for wilderness survival and preparedness, especially in the context of a planned camping or backpacking trip, I'm your man.

I'm the boring kind of prepper. I stay comfortable and well fed during long power outages. I dont freak out when ice storms hit since I can feed myself for a month on basics. If these is a real SHTF type situation, I'm pretty well set also but I don't feed into the doomsday prepper stereotype. No one wants to watch me and my stock of dry goods and fresh water on TV. :(

Chris
Host

Postby Chris » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:51 am

And I get that, and that's the kind of thing I'm interested in (at least as a start)
The Adventures of Young & Holt - A Deadlands: Reloaded Actual Play podcast

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:52 am

I suppose I could answer some prepper questions. I am no expert but it is a big push in my local religious community and as a result, I've gotten training.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sion
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Sion » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:56 pm

I am interested in ADD and ADHD

Now I already have ADD so my question is not about the condition itself. I have never really talked about my ADD with a group of people with the condition and I am
A) curious in how they had dealt with it or how it has affected their lives
B) how their experiences have gone when they have stopped medication because that is an issue that is front and center in my life (I am happily on the medication but I want to get off of it if I can).

If we could start a conversation about that I would really appreciate the opportunity.

FtB AMA is a great idea
"Sojourn is never early, nor it is late-- it arrives precisely when it needs to." --Dan, ep. 334

VaMinion
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby VaMinion » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:30 am

Maybe I should have included the ADD on my "I am a..." post. Guess I got distracted by something shiny. :lol:
Cursing is like a spice. And sometimes you're making thai.

anthroslug
NZB Leftenant

Postby anthroslug » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:56 am

BottledViolence wrote:
tombombodil wrote:

I'm the boring kind of prepper. I stay comfortable and well fed during long power outages. I dont freak out when ice storms hit since I can feed myself for a month on basics. If these is a real SHTF type situation, I'm pretty well set also but I don't feed into the doomsday prepper stereotype. No one wants to watch me and my stock of dry goods and fresh water on TV. :(

I need to renew my supplies, but I used to have a supply of fresh water, canned and dried foods, etc. When I was asked by someone why I was "stockpiling" I simply pointed out that we live in an active earthquake zone, and that service disruptions as a result of earthquakes are not unheard of.

They still thought I was being paranoid.
I'm like a boring, perpetually annoyed Indiana Jones - http://www.anthroslug.blogspot.com

Jahaili
Red Boba Fett

Postby Jahaili » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:22 pm

tombombodil wrote:
VaMinion wrote:
DocTWisted wrote:
tombombodil wrote:Being a family person (ie having a spouse and kids). Something I have more or less zero experience with. Never having even lived with a significant other.

Than shouldn't we first have a discussion on how to find a significant other worth keeping?

The ups, downs, and pitfalls of living with someone else could be worth it too. I know there's a lot I didn't think about before I moved in with an ex-gf, and that experience completely changed how I approached moving in with my wife.

Yeah, roommates in general is a whole other animal. There's a reason they warn you against being freshman roommates with your best friend from high school unless you're 100% certain it will work. I've known people who have almost permanently ruined their friendship by assuming that because they got along socially that they'd be great roommates.

Turns out living together compatibility, and social/emotional compatibility are two totally different things.

So in conclusion, add to the brainstorming list,
Finding and adapting to living with someone, whether a friend, SO or simply a roommate of convenience. Experts being anyone who has gone through this process several times.

Oh, I know this far too well. I've had a ton of roommates, lived with an SO before marriage and we broke up, lived with an SO before marriage and we got married, and now live with six other people - five adults and one toddler.
Need an editor? Send me a PM. I do copyediting as well as more in-depth editing of fiction and creative nonfiction.

Return to “FtB AMA”