Welcome to FtB's AMA

Fear the Boot Ask Me Anything - We seem to have a lot of subject matter experts here at FtB, let's spread that knowledge around!
Chad
Host

Welcome to FtB's AMA

Postby Chad » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:09 pm

We are going to try something new (for us) and get our subject matter experts to come out and spread around their wealth of knowledge.

Here is how it works.

1. Sign up in the Subject Matter Expert thread.

2. When your topic is picked you will be asked to participate in an AMA FTB thread where you and other subject matter experts will be asked questions that you will try and answer. AMA stands for Ask Me Anything.

For example we might do a thread on Car Maintenance. A couple of people might have volunteered to be a subject matter expert on the topic of cars, car repair, etc. The community can ask them anything they want on that subject.

What I would like to see happen is people sign up and list the things they are subject matter experts on. People can request topics they would like a conversation thread started about. Every other Monday I will pick a topic, start a thread and sticky it, then inform the subject matter experts that a topic they can contribute to is ready for them.

I'll be mentioning this on the show and once we get any kinks worked out I'd like to reach out to some of our contacts in the industry to come in an do an FtB AMA.

Also, a subject matter expert does not have to be a technical person. They can also be knowledgeable or involved in concepts. Examples would be a willingness to talk about sexual orientation or gender identity, a practitioner of a particular faith, a parent, someone who has a specific mental or medical issue, whatever, anything so long as you have personal and direct experience with the topic and are not just someone who has an opinion and read a Wikipedia entry.

If you would like to see an FtB AMA or see a particular person do an AMA then make a thread with the title AMA Request <Example Subject>. If you see a request that you can answer please do not start doing the AMA right there, post in that thread that you would be willing to do it and I will add it to the AMA Topic rotation.

If you want to see an AMA from an industry person then post a thread here with the title AMA Request <Person's Name> and in the post link to some of their stuff and possibly a contact email. We'll try and get in touch with them to see if they will come out.

All AMAs start on Mondays and are on a bi-weekly basis. They will be sticked for one week but if the topic is popular the sticky will stay through the off week.

Chad
Host

Re: Welcome to FtB AMA

Postby Chad » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:17 pm

I'll also add that an FtB AMA won't have just one subject matter expert per AMA. I'd like to get groups of people answering questions and providing conversations.

Return to “FtB AMA”