DC Comics Drinkware

Fear the Boot Ask Me Anything - We seem to have a lot of subject matter experts here at FtB, let's spread that knowledge around!
Hyperion
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

DC Comics Drinkware

Postby Hyperion » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Actually, I'm not kidding here. I am a subject matter expert on cups, glasses and other assorted drinkware featuring DC Comics characters. I can help identify a piece and give information on year of manufacture and manufacturer, along with some other pieces of data. I just don't give estimates on value.

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Re: DC Comics Drinkware

Postby Gyro LC » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:38 pm

Hyperion wrote:Actually, I'm not kidding here. I am a subject matter expert on cups, glasses and other assorted drinkware featuring DC Comics characters. I can help identify a piece and give information on year of manufacture and manufacturer, along with some other pieces of data. I just don't give estimates on value.

Were you on Comic Book Men with a set of comic-based 7-11 cups?
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Nope. But I have a full set of those in pretty good shape, though I could stand to replace one or two.

That set is actually what started me on the path. Someone in another forum asked about a checklist of available glasses in the 1974 Pepsi Moon series and I went a little berserk with the Google-fu.

Lord Foul
Kangaroo, Buffalo, and Chris, OH MY!

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:41 pm

Wow! That's a pretty niche hobby. Have you ever met anyone else who is at all interested? ;)
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:25 pm

I run into people that have one small set or another, or who have items featuring their favorite character, but no one who goes at it the same way I do. It is fairly unique as far as I can tell.

Lord Foul
Kangaroo, Buffalo, and Chris, OH MY!

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:28 pm

Hyperion wrote:I run into people that have one small set or another, or who have items featuring their favorite character, but no one who goes at it the same way I do. It is fairly unique as far as I can tell.

That's cool. Being unique is a fine thing. :thumbup:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Silvermoxy
Aarakocra

Postby Silvermoxy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:59 pm

Wow, your knowledge is relevant to me! My Aunt had 3 glasses out of a set from the late seventies, early eighties, I think. She had Joker, Batgirl, and someone else that 8-year-old me didn't care about....maybe Green Arrow. These were full size clear drinking glasses, with the character on there in that old sort of oversaturated color palettes on a large colored circle behind them. Only the Joker glass is left. Arrow broke when I was still a kid. I inherited the other two and a loved one broke Batgirl. Since I couldn't strangle them, I just made Joker off limits. Any idea where these were from? Where I might get more?

Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:25 pm

What you've got there is a 1976 glass from the "Pepsi Moon" series made by Brockway. There are a number of these glasses and they come with a variation as halfway through the year National Periodicals officially became DC Comics. The first thing you'll want to do is take a look at the copywrite info on the side of the glass and determine which you've got- National or DC.

These are not hard to find on ebay or in flea markets usually, though the villains do generally command more money.

A full set includes-
Aquaman
Batgirl
Batman
Captain Marvel (SHAZAM!)
Flash
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Joker
Penquin
Riddler
Robin
Supergirl
Superman
Wonder Woman

Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:15 pm

I just created a Facebook group to reach out to other collectors. Anyone interested is welcome to join us-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1034853903332940/

Return to “FtB AMA”