server migration

Announcements regarding the podcasts, forums, or other Fear the Boot endeavors.
Dan
Host

server migration

Postby Dan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:14 am

The company I lease this server through has declared the machine to be at the end of its support life. They're not only decommissioning the server, but they're also doing away with the entire datacenter it's hosted in. This is not a problem, because they've offered to give me a substantially more powerful server in their Virginia datacenter for the exact same price. The only catch is that I have to move all of the websites, databases, etc. to the new hardware.

Over the coming week (7/29 - 8/4), you may see the websites for Fear the Boot, the Actual Play, and Con Planner temporarily disappear. After going down, they should be back up in their new location in a matter of hours.

The website addresses will not change, and no data will be lost. You don't need to update your podcast subscriptions or anything like that. Just wait out the couple of hours, and it will be like nothing happened.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

snelson66
Dan's Road Rubber

Re: server migration

Postby snelson66 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:27 am

Very nice communication on this, Dan. When I logged in yesterday and the forum wasn't loading, I remembered your message about this and calmly said to myself, "Self, you're an idiot for forgetting that Dan mentioned the server migration and it'll be up later today or tomorrow." And myself said back to me, "Now go about your business and stop bothering me; I'm putting together your nightmare for tonight. It's really good; there are clowns and you're on your deathbed. You'll never sleep again."

So thanks, Dan. :)
"He's a fighter. The closest he comes to evasion is if he misreports his taxable wages." - Gannji, Order of the Stick #777

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:19 pm

And we're back! Thanks Dan!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:55 am

Or... not, apparently. What happened there? I was getting withdrawal symptoms. :sick:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:11 am

Lord Foul wrote:Or... not, apparently. What happened there? I was getting withdrawal symptoms. :sick:

Discord Dan wrote:As I mentioned in an earlier post, our web server had gotten rather old, and the hosting company wanted to switch me to a new one at no cost. I started that move a few days ago, and apart from a hiccup with the forums, it seemed to go just fine.

I was ready to put a bow on the whole thing, when literally the last step revealed that a portion of the server was corrupt. The hosting company thought it might have been caused by something I did, so they refreshed it and sent it back to me.

I tested the broken part first this time, saw it was still corrupt, and sent it back to them. It appears the image they're using for the machine is, itself, busted and until they fix that, each server they give me will be similarly screwed up. I'm awaiting a response right now.

Unfortunately, this means all of our sites are offline, and I don't have an ETA for when they will be back. We're still creating content, but we don't have an easy way to release it.

Fortunately, all of the data and code has been backed up to other computers, and it's ready to go as soon as a fixed server is available. Nothing has been lost; it's just not available online.

I'll keep you guys posted as I learn anything.

Discord Dan wrote:@everyone The websites are back up!
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:44 am

Thanks Azh.

At first sight I read that as "Disco Dan". Visions of John Travolta ensued, to the sounds of the Bee Gees. :D

"...with frikin' lasers!"

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:02 am

I think someone should deepfake Dan's face onto that their picture... for science!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

[red]
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby [red] » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Quick notice: my Chrome is having trouble loading the page. It drops a lot of the hotlink stuff over the navigation buttons at the top. I tweeted @feartheboot a screenshot (because I technology). I am not having the same issues with explorer or (shudder) Edge.
--- < :facepalm: > ---

Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:14 pm

Ever since the migration my subscriptions haven't been emailing me notifications. anybody else have this problem/
Check out my wife's book

Return to “Announcements”