soliciting D&D 5E questions

Announcements regarding the podcasts, forums, or other Fear the Boot endeavors.
Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Re: soliciting D&D 5E questions

Postby Azhrei Vep » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:46 pm

keithcurtis wrote:But the serious answer is: they are bad guys. D&D is a game about heroes. Sure you can make a hero of a gnoll or a kobold, but these are hardly standard.

Only because they didn't make them standard PC races.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:47 am

I guess you'll have to hope for an Unearthed Arcana.

Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Appollyon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:49 pm

I'd like to hear the philosophy on why monsters play by a different set of rules than the PCs. I won't give another detailed complaint, but a "thug" has it all over a "fighter" of comparable level at early levels by having stuff they can do that PCs can't.

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:36 pm

Appollyon wrote:I'd like to hear the philosophy on why monsters play by a different set of rules than the PCs. I won't give another detailed complaint, but a "thug" has it all over a "fighter" of comparable level at early levels by having stuff they can do that PCs can't.

Doesn't every class, race and monster pretty much have its own set of rules?

I'll have to check out "thug". I imagine it's a difficulty of trying to find a "thug" that works well against a particular level.

martian_god
Chad is a Contrarian

Postby martian_god » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:28 pm

Many gamers (myself included) think the 5e ruleset is underspecified, and offloads way too much work onto the DM. For example, the "Hide" action requires the DM to determine when it's appropriate to use, provides no guidance on moving silently, and has an uncomfortable amount of interpretation built into it - sneaking up in combat for example. The people here know me, I tend to play fast and loose with rules (hell, I'm known for running games using candy instead of dice), but I strongly feel that a game like D&D needs harder lines drawn. Are there any plans to firm these rules up?
--------

Madness takes its toll.
Speedpass accepted.

Capsian
BABUSHKA!

Postby Capsian » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:10 pm

One of the biggest marketing/release philosophy differences I've seen with 5E against previous editions is in the material that has been released so far. With 5E there have been adventures released, but, unlike previous editions, there has not been any Campaign Settings released or other splat books up to this point. What led to this change, especially when you are releasing adventures that describe details of a setting(such as Forgotten Realms) that you haven't released an official 5E setting book for it?

okeefe
Dapper Metroid

Postby okeefe » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:20 pm

I wonder which consultant.

My questions:

• How was your consultation advice adapted into the final work?
  • Is there something you wish they would have done?
  • What house rules do you incorporate? Did you discuss them with the group?

Wayne wrote:Not sure that it is exactly a question, but a conversation on the philosophy of scaling HP vs scaling Armor Class.

They do different things, right? Durability versus damage avoidance.
“You have made an enemy of the birds, my friend.”

Return to “Announcements”