Let's Write A Story

An community of writers helping each other improve their craft. Beware: Their be Grammar Nazis here!
Sion
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Re: Let's Write A Story

Postby Sion » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:13 pm

Nope, not going to let the thread die (at least the part that I play). I have been having a few bad days :boohoo: and so that is the petty excuse for my absence.

But I have been doing a lot of thinking on my dwarf story. To be completely honest the feminism aspect totally sidetracked my mind. I set out with this project to create the literary equivalent to comfort food (comfort reading), nice easy stuff to enjoy. To create a simple story (though just as BlueBandit mentioned to me on Skype, a simple idea never stays simple). Right now I am putting the dwarven feminism angle on the back burner and I'm going to return to it later. A few ideas did strike me and I am going to share them. I have two ways, currently, to spice up the dwarves in this setting. Firstly, it is the magic system. I don't have the nuts and bolts figured out yet but I do have the general framework. The dwarves are not magical in the setting (which is not original, that's how it works in Warhammer) but they have their own version of magic. How it works is that while out on the surface the dwarves have no magical abilities, but delving into the earth activates their magic. Superior night vision, the need for less oxygen, less food, less water, having an uncanny sense of direction, being physically stronger, tougher, and having better endurance are all given to the dwarves. In addition the further down the dwarves are from the surface the more these powers are amplified. This explains how dwarves can even function so deep underground, which even in modern times we struggle to do. At the moment the elves draw thier magic from the stars and have a fairly typical magic system (it is treated more like an artistic discipline by the society). And the human man will have his magic parred to dragons, a relationship that is very much love-hate (what are a few centuries of slavery and subjugation between friends :problem: ). The relationship between the dragons and the Nord in Skyrim could be analogous.

The second aspect that I am really hooked on is the religion/culture of the dwarves. I was thinking about what religion they should have. Obviously the elves are polytheistic. But would the dwarves follow suit? What if they were monotheistic? Monotheistic religions, by reputation, fairly intense and zealous? Like Ancient Judaism. :shock: What if they were inspired by Judaism?! And that is how the thought process, as crude and messy as it is, worked in my head. Most of the tenets, concepts, and trappings of Judaism will inspire a lot of their thinking: the one true god, a fall from grace, original sin, the Holy Text, Judges, doctrines of cleanliness, an exodus, a promised land, giants protecting said promised land, the twelve tribes, the two kingdoms, the Ark (now an anvil because dwarves). That is not to say that these dwarves = Ancient Jews but will be the major inspiration. For instance the laws of Kosher will not be a dwarf thing because a dwarf not eating pork is like one a dwarf being tall, (and because the laws of Kosher, if I am correct on this, derive their use because the Ancient Jews lived in a semi-arid/desert environment and so did not want to compete with the hogs over clean drinking water). So other aspects will be drawn from dwarven tradition laid down by the genre and my own inspirations.
"Sojourn is never early, nor it is late-- it arrives precisely when it needs to." --Dan, ep. 334

Sion

Postby Sion » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:17 pm

Leoff wrote:I've been thinking about that lately, myself. It's such a common story pattern: getting there is the story, getting home is the postscript. What if getting there were the easy part?

-There's a landslide that destroys the only pass they know, through the mountains.

-Somebody is chasing them because they've done something, or found something.

-Something of vital importance to them has been stolen for nefarious purposes.

I'm going to follow this suggestion to shake up the audience and myself. Get the "journey" story line out of its ruts.
"Sojourn is never early, nor it is late-- it arrives precisely when it needs to." --Dan, ep. 334

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:05 am

You could also go the disaster moview route. The story is not about the disaster. It's about the people in the disaster.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Sion

Postby Sion » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:44 am

clintmemo wrote:You could also go the disaster moview route. The story is not about the disaster. It's about the people in the disaster.

What do you mean by that? That the story is more character focused than plot focused? I don't exactly know what you mean.

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:34 pm

Given that dwarves are more "super" the deeper they go, there needs to be clear reasons for them to even bother with the surface and surface dwellers.
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:48 pm

As they go deeper they also grow more inward -- introverted in a bad way. They start relating more to the rock itself and less to other people, and even to the earth as a whole, and to themselves. Somewhere within memory and reach of the surface, but not out of reach of the wind, is where they are most complete as persons.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:01 am

Sion wrote:
clintmemo wrote:You could also go the disaster moview route. The story is not about the disaster. It's about the people in the disaster.

What do you mean by that? That the story is more character focused than plot focused? I don't exactly know what you mean.

Think of The Walking Dead. The show takes place during a zombie apocalypse, but it isn't really about the apocalypse. We don't see how it started or how it ends and the characters don't spend all of their time trying to stop it. We see what they have to endure while it is going on. Most of it has nothing to do with zombies.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:02 am

Sion wrote:

Think of The Walking Dead. The show takes place during a zombie apocalypse, but it isn't really about the apocalypse. We don't see how it started or how it ends and the characters don't spend all of their time trying to stop it. We see what they have to endure while it is going on. Most of it has nothing to do with zombies.

Sion

Postby Sion » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:16 pm

Magmoo wrote:Given that dwarves are more "super" the deeper they go, there needs to be clear reasons for them to even bother with the surface and surface dwellers.

Echoing Leoff I think that this can be utilized for conflict among the dwarves. Need to think of more conflict in the setting.

The Blue Bandit

Postby The Blue Bandit » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:12 am

Sion wrote:
Magmoo wrote:Given that dwarves are more "super" the deeper they go, there needs to be clear reasons for them to even bother with the surface and surface dwellers.

Echoing Leoff I think that this can be utilized for conflict among the dwarves. Need to think of more conflict in the setting.

Perhaps it can be a matter of isolationism vs a sort of globalism. The older, more traditional dwarves don't see a need for the wider world and want to delve deeper and deeper, thereby being as "dwarfy" as possible. Why do they need the rest of the world when they are masters of their domain, unparalleled beneath the surface? They are safe in the earth's embrace. Protected from the many dangers of the world.

On the flip side, there are dwarves who realize that such an existence is not tenable. Without open trade routes and communication with the surface, the dwarves will stagnate and collapse - they need a constant supply of food, lumber, textiles, and whatever else in order to keep their civilization thriving. A society cannot sustain itself with only rocks, ore, and gems (and I assume some sort of edible fungus they might cultivate?). These dwarves are aware of the risks and dangers on the surface, but they know that such risks must be taken and dangers faced to ensure their civilization thrives and endures.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Contributing author to Sojourn: An Anthology of Speculative Fiction Volume 1 and Volume 2

Return to “Fear the Boot Writer's Guild”