What Are You Working On?

An community of writers helping each other improve their craft. Beware: Their be Grammar Nazis here!
The Blue Bandit
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Re: What Are You Working On?

Postby The Blue Bandit » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:05 am

I've been writing a fantasy romance novel with my wife. We're about 55,000 words in currently, with probably another 25-30k to go. I work a full-time job and we're parents of three, so we usually only have a couple of hours a night to work on it, but we're averaging around 1,200 words a night, though sometimes (like last night) it's over 2,000. It feels good to be making this progress. Especially because, early on, it felt like it would take us forever.

We've been putting a plan in place to self-publish, which is also somewhat exciting (and a little scary). Fortunately, my wife is tapped into a lot of authors and communities in the genre, so hopefully that will help us get the word out and bring some attention to our book. This is the third novel we've written together. The first two are still mostly in first draft state, from years ago, and were put aside because our family was still expanding.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Contributing author to Sojourn: An Anthology of Speculative Fiction Volume 1 and Volume 2

The Blue Bandit

Postby The Blue Bandit » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:24 pm

If all goes as planned, tonight we'll be writing the final chapter of our book. It will mark the completion of our first draft, which has already been partially edited. We're going to give ourselves the weekend to celebrate, and set the manuscript aside for a few weeks before I hit it with a red pen. Come Monday, we'll be beginning work on the next one to keep our momentum going.
Contributing author to Sojourn: An Anthology of Speculative Fiction Volume 1 and Volume 2

JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby JediSoth » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:30 am

Scars of the Sundering, book 2: Lament has gone to my content editor (my wife). I still have the last half of book 3 to write, but I'm taking a break to work on a short story for the Dragonroots anthology one of the other Author's Avenue authors publishes each year featuring his fellow authors on Author's Avenue. My short story will probably be a short prequel to Scars of the Sundering; a kind of light-hearted mini adventure feature the drak, Kale.

Once that's done, I'm going to dive back into Scars of the Sundering, probably doing revisions on Lament, if not, then writing the rest of Salvation.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:40 am

An author friend has asked me to write a short story set in the world of his novel series (He is planning on making and anthology). I came up with a protagonist a while ago, but the antagonist(s) just came to me this week. I have written both of their opening scenes (at least partly). Now I have to figure out how to make the story work.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:23 pm

Finished Murder by Horse, a sequel to Kobolds Ate My Baby. I will now start on Blessing In Disguise, in the same short story series.
If I really get my act together, I will put them in Google so that FtB Writers Guild folks can see them. I do my best and fastest writing when I've got input.

The Blue Bandit

Postby The Blue Bandit » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:44 am

Wife and I just published our first novel a week ago, and we're somewhere around 2/3 of the way through another (somewhat longer) one. The one available now is a fantasy romance, the one we're currently writing (that won't be out until sometime mid/late next year, most likely) is a post-apocalyptic sci-fi romance.

For my individual works, I've finally managed to tear my focus away from comics that I'm never going to do to focus back on writing again. Currently polishing up some background information on a setting I began developing around 12 years ago, and I plan to leap into the first novella within the next few days. My plan is to write three or four novellas that will lead up to the series of full novels that I've had in my head for over a decade. I figure if I want to actually make a go at this writing for a living thing, I'll need to go full throttle and publish under my own name in addition to the pseudonym I'm using with Tiffany for our romance books.

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:43 am

Cool, thanks for the update.

Being more of a solo game player and game designer, my writing tends to come in short sprints when Time and Muse decide to show up to the party at the same time and place.

Got plans for more Tephra Falls, Quill, Fool's Journey, and Rewind. (and perhaps a few others)

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:45 am

Writing the 2nd draft of a stage play, Apotheosis. Going to have a reading of it soon and try to figure out a new title.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:59 pm

Totally random word association... Apollo's Thesis

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:31 pm

That wouldn't really fit the story :)
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Return to “Fear the Boot Writer's Guild”