What Are You Working On?

An community of writers helping each other improve their craft. Beware: Their be Grammar Nazis here!
ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Re: What Are You Working On?

Postby ScoobyThulu » Sat May 30, 2015 6:28 pm

Crikey, it has been quite a while since I have been her eon the forums. Hellooooo everyone.
I feel like I can breathe again. After taking a job with a regional airline and having to drop out of school due to mitigating factors, one of which being the job, I have done a bit of job hopping and finally landed a job at the Indianapolis Marion County Public Library: http://www.imcpl.org/. And since I am a LS major and hope to be working on my practicum soon this all most excellent for me.
So I am now working on things again!
1. I have been cartooning a lot more, I finished the pencils on a web comic I hope to launch called Random Encounters: True Tales of Gaming Except for the Made Up Bits.
2. Sketch cards for the fun of it, some of you who are FB friends with me may have seen some of them? I have done a series of Star Wars and Doctor Who next will be Fantastic Four and then Lord of the Rings.
3. I have taken a gig doing a couple of charity covers for Downtown Comics: http://www.downtowncomics.com/, I will be doing a Marvel Star Wars #1 and a Wonder Woman, in my cartoon-y style.
4. I need to work on my comic book blog but, yeah.
5. Finally started working on prose again! Besides my Sojourn 1 story I haven't worked on prose regularly in like 5 years and it feels really good. I know where it's going but I don't know how its getting there.
I got to say, everyone here is awesome, have a drink on me! :beer:
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

The Blue Bandit
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby The Blue Bandit » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:06 pm

Our 10th wedding anniversary is coming up next month, so I am doing my best to get a rather large writing project done as a gift to my wife. My usual indecision has plagued me thus far, which is unfortunate. I had actually managed to somewhat overcome my typical habits of extreme procrastination and start the initial planning and work on this project something like two months ago. A long family vacation in the middle of that has halted my progress, so I'm trying to build up momentum to get this moving again. It's planned as a collection of 10 short stories, all with a focus on romance, spanning a variety of themes and settings. They're all (some very loosely) inspired by fairy tales.

I'm annoyed at myself for allowing vacation to stop my progress so completely. I understand why - even though I brought the project with me to work on, it was the first time I had the opportunity to see my family in nearly five years - but it's disappointing nonetheless. Especially because starting to work on this was the first time I have been writing since my last rejection letter.

I made it to the second round of consideration for a short story at Daily Science Fiction, which was exciting, and nerve-wracking, and took a very long time. I believe the full turn-around on my eventual rejection was something close to three months...which is not so bad compared to many markets, but I allowed myself to be paralyzed by it. Hopefully I can learn to focus on new projects and not fret over the ones that are out of my hands like that in the future.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Contributing author to Sojourn: An Anthology of Speculative Fiction Volume 1 and Volume 2

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:39 pm

Just finished the 1st draft of a stage play.

Essentially:
"An Extraordinary person in an extraordinary situation is one extraordinary too many." Bradbury (I think)
What happens when someone with the power to level cities nearly dies and suffers PTSD? How do you live your life when people will die if you lose control? How do the people around you come to terms with that?
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:25 pm

Still doing the Tephra Falls: Children of Ash solo gaming thing; 66 scenes written so far. Knocked out a short story/session for the One Cube Challenge. And, working on a couple of play sets for The Trouble with Rose.

hans_co
BABUSHKA!

Postby hans_co » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:18 pm

I'm working on my Sojourn3 story. I'm hoping to have it done in draft by this weekend or the middle of next week so I have ample time to edit and rewrite. I'm feeling the CRUNCH.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:21 pm

I'm still working on my Sojourn 3 submission, too. It's coming along well enough but slowly; I'd hoped to be waving it around for criticism by now. But I still like it. And other plots with the same characters keep coming to mind.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:17 pm

I need to do a final edit on my Sojourn 3 story and submit it.
Life keeps draining my energy away. Hopefully, I'll wrap it up this weekend.

So of course, in the last week, I've come up with three new short story ideas, and an anthology idea.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby JediSoth » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:10 am

Since I had to change the ending of Malediction, I now have to update the beginning of Lament. My goal is to have it finished by the end of the month, then get started on revisions and hopefully have it wrapped up by the end of Q1 2016.

I also need to finish Salvation, so this fantasy trilogy will be done. Malediction was well-received at Gen Con and I want to keep the momentum going.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

hans_co
BABUSHKA!

Postby hans_co » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:56 am

Soujourn 3 submission draft is done. I'm burning the midnight oil on this one since I only found out S3 stuff was due this month, um, this month. I think I've got a really solid story that I'm happy with, though.

About 2/3 of the way through the first rewrite. Going to get some eyeballs on it this week and churn out another couple of rewrites as fast as possible to get it as close to as good as I can get it by the 31st!

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:54 pm

Murder by Horse, a story with the same two main characters as Kobolds Ate My Baby, my Sojourn 3 submission.

Return to “Fear the Boot Writer's Guild”