What Are You Working On?

An community of writers helping each other improve their craft. Beware: Their be Grammar Nazis here!
Sion
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

What Are You Working On?

Postby Sion » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:13 pm

What are you working on?
Currently I am working on my worldbuilding for my fantasy world Mortalis
    1. I took a section of my world map
    2. Printed out about five copies of the (basic black and white stuff)
    3. With my naming lexicons, I started writing down a bunch of tribe names (about thirty)
    4. In red, blue, and black pens I wrote out where the tribes were in prehistory
    5. Next I take a second map and have the tribes shift positions (thus creating tribal movement)
    6. Did this for about 13 more maps (including nations, empires, invasions, counter-invasions, religious movements etc.)

And then I had a rough historical atlas of my region spanning about 3,000 years (the first third nothing really happens because it is prehistory)

Next I looked over my rough historical atlas and starting writing down questions, like: "Why did X people attack Y nation?" or "Why were was the Y nation unable to defend itself against X people?" By answering these questions, taking the tone that I am answering a real person's question, I flesh out the world. Hopefully when i am finished I will start to compile it and post it up on a blog.

So that is what I am doing, what about you?
"Sojourn is never early, nor it is late-- it arrives precisely when it needs to." --Dan, ep. 334

Jahaili
Red Boba Fett

Re: What Are You Working On?

Postby Jahaili » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:50 pm

1. Editing my first novel, a fantasy.
2. Beginning the next novel, a sci-fi inspired by the works of Philip K. Dick.
3. Continuing to think about and plan for a work of creative nonfiction.
4. Taking a graduate level class on writing graphic novels.
5. Researching and preparing for writing my master's thesis (this totally counts).

Actually, I've been pretty lazy recently. Too much going on in life.
Need an editor? Send me a PM. I do copyediting as well as more in-depth editing of fiction and creative nonfiction.

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:14 pm

Working on campaign settings and notes for two Mekton Zeta games. Given the nature of MZ/anime stories, this is probably akin to serial fiction of the interactive kind. I need to get all JMS and work on some big story arcs and sub plots.

Back burners include Tactical Command and Frozen Thunder (both war games, on hold until I get past a programing mental block.)

And, I have a bunch of The Trouble with Rose play sets in various stages of development:
. Gypsy werewolves vs Nazis
. Action/Pulp/Lovecraftian version of the SSN-589 Scorpion tragedy, special rule: the sub must sink as part of the story
. Heavy Metal Space Opera with the lovely Space Pirate Rose
. Post apocalyptic robots who accidentially awaken the last human on Earth.
. A Space Marine (tm) spoof involving several blue troopers and the ultra bored daughter of the undead emperor
--
TAZ

Jahaili
Red Boba Fett

Postby Jahaili » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Oh my goodness, the Space Marine spoof would KICK ASS. You must tell me more about this!
Need an editor? Send me a PM. I do copyediting as well as more in-depth editing of fiction and creative nonfiction.

Sion
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Sion » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Jahaili wrote:1. Editing my first novel, a fantasy.
5. Researching and preparing for writing my master's thesis (this totally counts).

:oops: I can barely get myself to do my math homework AND write 250 words a day!! What is going to happen when I have an actual work load. :cry:
"Sojourn is never early, nor it is late-- it arrives precisely when it needs to." --Dan, ep. 334

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:58 pm

Jahaili wrote:Oh my goodness, the Space Marine spoof would KICK ASS. You must tell me more about this!

The inspiration is the nasty way Games Workshop treated M.C.A. Hogarth, author of Spots the Space Marine...
http://mcahogarth.org/?p=10593

The fun people at A Terrible Idea responded with this offer...
http://aterribleidea.com/2013/02/06/im-offering-500-for-the-best-space-marine-parody-game/

It just happens that my son had made this paper model for me...

So, this story started evolving in my brain about the undead daughter of the undead emperor and the poor fools that have to protect/romance/kill her. Since GW space marines are also know as smurfs (many of them have a blue theme), I decided that my players would have names like Turquoise (aka Turk), Sky, Powder, Aqua, Teal, Periwinkle, and Cornflower. I'm also going to do a little play off on Paranoia where being a member of a secret society or having a mutant power is punishable by death (all players start with a mutation and belong to a secret society.) So, each of the marines will also have a secret Chaos power.

I actually have a title: Roses are Red, Space Marines are Blue. :-)
--
TAZ

Jahaili
Red Boba Fett

Postby Jahaili » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:14 pm

Sion wrote:
Jahaili wrote:1. Editing my first novel, a fantasy.

:oops: I can barely get myself to do my math homework AND write 250 words a day!! What is going to happen when I have an actual work load. :cry:

Hah, I did better writing regularly when I was working full time! I blame my living situation, though...someone I live with is so mentally exhausting that it's nearly impossible for me to do ANYTHING. If I get any writing done during the week, I'm happy.

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:34 pm

I'm currently working on four things, though one is only at the stage of "thinking about it" as opposed to "doing it".

1. I wrote and submitted a short story to Riley. However, I still consider this something I'm working on, because once it reaches publication, I intend to help him quite a bit with marketing.

2. I'm working on a graphic novel with Remainaery. Generally speaking, I'm doing the writing and Rem is doing the art, but we're really trying to collaborate on every aspect rather than compartmentalize the work. The reference sheets and first 7 page scripts are done. We're finalizing concept art, color palette, and style right now. I'm also going to prep a more detailed series timeline to help Rem plan the art. I'm looking for teasers next month with the first page releasing in April. It will be released at the rate of two pages per week on the web, with a print version following thereafter.

3. I'm working with Keith Curtis on an Epoch of Rysos RPG. It's about 50% written. We've been slowed down a bit because of outside busy-ness for both of it. I'm shooting for a release sometime in 2013, though no specific date has been selected.

4. Prior to Fear the Boot, I wrote an Epoch of Rysos novel. That's the novel I mentioned in episode 291 as being a motivator for starting Fear the Boot. Once project #2 and/or #3 are further along, I intend to revisit the novel, update the writing, and take another stab at getting it published. The big decision there is whether I want to self-publish or take another stab at a traditional print house.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

Jahaili
Red Boba Fett

Postby Jahaili » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:40 pm

I will talk to no end about self publishing vs. traditional publishing. While I think you, specifically, are likely to do fairly well at self publishing, you'll probably be better off going with a traditional publisher (and finding an agent first is always helpful). Chuck Wendig, one of my favorite authors, has a fairly large online following and he's even stated that sales on his self published works are nowhere near as much as his traditionally published works.

Read his very knowledgeable argument [quote=http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2013/01/15/what-flavor-of-publishing-will-you-choose/]here[/quote].

D3M410
Myopic Sycophant

Postby D3M410 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:53 pm

Writing is not my only love. It's not even my first love. Maybe its second, so writing has always come in fits for me. A habit I am trying to break.

Sunday I had my encounter with that Muse - inspiration that them romantics and classical guys always go on about. I dreamed nearly an entire movie and woke up remembering enough of it to write up a very rough synopsis that in some places even included specific camera directions. After talking to other friends, they have suggested that I put my other projects on hold for a while since this story is more complete and I am more excited about it.

Anyway the movie is tentatively titled Intersections and it combines comedic new roommate/neighbor comedy with a cancer drama. I'm currently writing up some mumblecore style narratives from each of the four main characters to help me create a past and therefore motivations. I've also been researching how to write a script properly.

For now that leaves on hold:
1. A dual heroes journey novel with some wonky time stuff set in my fantasy setting: Syklos.
2. A last-man on earth sci-fi novel with lots of so-advanced-it's-magic-technology.
3. A collection of poems.
4. A player's edition and game master's edition to Syklos, both pure fluff and d20 OGL versions.
Been out of the world for a spell... like to walk it a while.

Return to “Fear the Boot Writer's Guild”