Currently I am working on my worldbuilding for my fantasy world Mortalis
- 1. I took a section of my world map
2. Printed out about five copies of the (basic black and white stuff)
3. With my naming lexicons, I started writing down a bunch of tribe names (about thirty)
4. In red, blue, and black pens I wrote out where the tribes were in prehistory
5. Next I take a second map and have the tribes shift positions (thus creating tribal movement)
6. Did this for about 13 more maps (including nations, empires, invasions, counter-invasions, religious movements etc.)
And then I had a rough historical atlas of my region spanning about 3,000 years (the first third nothing really happens because it is prehistory)
Next I looked over my rough historical atlas and starting writing down questions, like: "Why did X people attack Y nation?" or "Why were was the Y nation unable to defend itself against X people?" By answering these questions, taking the tone that I am answering a real person's question, I flesh out the world. Hopefully when i am finished I will start to compile it and post it up on a blog.
So that is what I am doing, what about you?