Introduce yourself!

An community of writers helping each other improve their craft. Beware: Their be Grammar Nazis here!
tzeneth
BABUSHKA!

Re: Introduce yourself!

Postby tzeneth » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:40 pm

Sion wrote:I am also firmly rooted in the fantasy genre. I already have a story that I am submitting for the Anthology, but I was thinking about maybe taking a swing at the sci-fi genre. Or maybe ...steampunk

Strangely the idea I'm thinking of is somewhere between post-apoc, fantasy, and steam punk with the focus on the first.

jrutgermadison
Spambot?

Postby jrutgermadison » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:55 am

My name is J. Rutger Madison. My friends call me Jay. I have been writing in some capacity (technical writer, journalist, op-Ed writer, lawyer) all my life, but began writing fiction two years ago, primarily in the fantasy genre. My first novel is about half done, and I hope to have it finished by the end of 2013.

Sion
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Sion » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Welcome to the Boards and to the Guild! The door is always open. And you are in good company because most people on the Guild, including myself, write fantasy. My name is Ryan, and I organize the Writers Guild and I am the Project Lead for the Writers Guild Anthology that we are doing right now. This has only started about on April 6th, but with the hard work of everyone involved, we have a plan put forth and 25 contributors (including myself).

Go here for most of the details: Plan for the Writers Guild Anthology

PM me your gmail and Skype username if you want to be involved.
"Sojourn is never early, nor it is late-- it arrives precisely when it needs to." --Dan, ep. 334

DavidBGoode
'something' per Dan's request

Postby DavidBGoode » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:45 pm

Hey guys,

This is more of a reintroduction. I signed up early on with the FTB Writers Guild, but my notebook couldn't run Skype and I had a few other issues (e.g.: excuses).

Who?: David B. Goode. I'm a research analyst for a commercial real estare company and I've been creating (or helping to create) stories since junior high (30 years ago). I GM, write short story, songs, and once upon a time, comics, but none professionally. I also serve my church as minister of music and my town as a city councilman.
Genre: YA Super-Hero (mostly)
Where?: I'm from historic Sweet Springs MO, about half-way between Kansas City and Columbia.
What?: I've finished a manuscript for an 85,000+ word YA super-hero/urban-fantasy novel, I'm working on a sequel, and I have a handful of short-stories finished. I have no publication credits.
Why?: I'm tweaking a query letter and cobbling together a synopsis in preparation to find an agent. I need help. Also, I've rewritten my first novel COMPLETELY a few times, and I'm having a hard time finding new readers.

Can someone give me a rundown of where to start? Anyone need a beta-reader or a fresh set of eyes on a query?
Super-fantasy adventure awaits at http://www.whitethornrpg.wikidot.com.

EricW
Spambot?

Postby EricW » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Howdy,

Name: Eric, but I also answer to "hey you"

Style: I have no idea. Adventure Sci-Fi?

I started writing in elementary school. I won a few school and district awards. Went on to writing poetry in my tweens to teens. Took decade break.

I'm working on a novel about a prisoner who saves the world.

Kuzgar
BABUSHKA!

Postby Kuzgar » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:27 am

Name: Kuzgar, "Rocky"

Writing Style: I enjoy creative writing and mainly focus on works involving more then 150 thousand words. I have nothing that has been published and until I started my current project I have deleted or destroyed most of my previous writing. I am very critical of my own words and I have been unhappy with the results in the past. My preference is fantasy-suspense, and horror.

Started Writing: About the age of ten is when I first started writing. It began with a short story for my English class and my teacher informed me that although the work was very creative, she was concerned that I had extreme mental issues. Ever since then I have not stopped writing, it is relaxing and my release from life.

Currently Working: I am writing a fantasy novel about three brothers, all sons of an angel. This angel was one of the leaders of the original fallen angels that came to earth in order to be with women. The story takes place before the time of Eden and through the ages into the present, and finally into the near future. The focus of the story is the war of the angels and the use of pawns in our world and other worlds to fight their war. The first novel focusses on the life of the middle brother, Casticus.

Other Notes: I have served 14 years in the military and have been out since 2010. I finished a two year degree in system administration and now I am currently working towards a four years degree at Texas A&M at Corpus Christi. I find myself writing an incredible amount these days, most of the writing is not what I enjoy, but it is a learning experience. I am slow to give my opinion on subjects, but kind of a stubborn "butt" after I have decided on my opinion. I am constantly looking for people to review my work and give their opinions about it as well as advice on how I can improve my writing, with the hopes of one day possibly getting published.

fox01313
BABUSHKA!

Postby fox01313 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Darren T. here stuck in north Texas.

Started with gaming ages ago with D&D then White Wolf/Gurps & a bunch of small games but everything else in life took over. Came back to it recently with more time to go into tabletop gaming. Mostly playing Call of Cthulhu rpg & while getting more expanded in game design/writing podcasts finally got to FtB and going through the back catalog.

Currently working on slowly putting stuff together for two Call of Cthulhu scenarios & looking to proof/submit them once they're more refined & playtested a little. Also got something for Base Raiders (Fate Core setting) for the superhero genre, also got it sketched out. Just have to map/write that one out as from the other adventures for Fate core are a lot different with some of the writing than the mystery/horror games I'm usually playing but love the setting of Base Raiders and a nice break from unnameable monsters.
--
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode

tink333
BABUSHKA!

Postby tink333 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:49 pm

Hello, everyone!

Hubby (JediSoth) recommended I join, though, honestly he's the one who listens to podcasts more than I do. :) It's not that I dislike podcasts; rather, I forget to download and listen to them. :)

So, about me: I was born and raised in the New York Tri-State area. You can hear the New York accent when I speak. I get teased a bit here in Indiana because I pronounce words like this: cawfee and dawg and cant-a-lope. Yes, cantaloupe is a three-syllable word. :) My daughter is an alien. She was born in New Jersey and is twenty-six. The other day she pronounced mayonnaise as may-naze. I think I failed as a parent. :D

I'm newish to gaming. Hans and I have been together about six years, and I was content to be a spectator until Jim Ward convinced me to play Metamorphasis Alpha at Gary Con in 2011. Hubby wanted a Geek Chic Spartan table, and after it arrived he re-established his gaming group and started Doctor Strangeroll, in which we played basically the same adventure in the different D&D editions. I found I enjoyed the old-school way of playing more than Pathfinder and 4E, both of which I found tedious. We're in the middle of the first adventure in Tyranny of Dragons Campaign in 5E, and I'm enjoying it MUCH more than either Pathfinder or 4E. I suspect, it's probably because it requires the adventurers to think before they engage and because not every battle is meant to be fought. :)

As for writing, I stink at creating stories. I leave that to Hans. I love reading his creations and doing first- and last-round edits for him. In the middle we engage a pro. On my reading list are both volumes of Sojourn. I do better with shorter stories, so I'm looking forward to reading all of both editions.

Besides gaming and editing, I am a classically trained musician. I played cello during my youth, and I am also a classically trained singer. I enjoy painting and creating things and can't wait to receive my 3Doodler 2.0. I knit and crochet, and every year we design, bake, build, construct, and decorate a gingerbread house. It's a little nerve wracking until it's all assembled, but the end product is well worth all the work.

That's it about me. I'm looking forward to meeting/talking with all of you. :)

-Maria
Last edited by tink333 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology."-Carl Sagan

runester
Holder of The Stabbing Screwdriver

Postby runester » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:01 am

Hello, Maria!

May you find something of worth and leave something of value. And I hope you find the forums a welcoming community.

By the way, that was a great intro - I know more about your interests and play style than many of the old timers! When you get your 3Doodler, you'll have to share some pics of your creations. I'm also eager to find out if it's as easy and fun to use as it looks in the videos.
~runester~
Join Jeb, Mikey, and I for All in the Reflexes and There's a Problem With Your Face!
[My avatar is Raphael the holy knight advanced by Fredaugis]

tink333
BABUSHKA!

Postby tink333 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:23 am

runester wrote:Hello, Maria!

May you find something of worth and leave something of value. And I hope you find the forums a welcoming community.

By the way, that was a great intro - I know more about your interests and play style than many of the old timers! When you get your 3Doodler, you'll have to share some pics of your creations. I'm also eager to find out if it's as easy and fun to use as it looks in the videos.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm definitely the more extroverted of the two of Hans and me. :) I should have written my dating profile like that way back when. I might have actually gotten a decent match. ;)

I definitely will post somewhere on here when I get my 3Doodler. My first thought was that they needed to make one that flows isomalt sugar sticks. Think of all the damage I could do for the gingerbread house. :D The 1.0 is way too big. I don't think I could have held it. My hands are small and arthritic. The 2.0 appears to be quite a bit lighter and better balanced. I'm all excited to get it and make stuff.:D I'll take some pictures so I can track my learning curve.

Again thanks for welcoming me.
"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology."-Carl Sagan

Return to “Fear the Boot Writer's Guild”