Introduce yourself!

An community of writers helping each other improve their craft. Beware: Their be Grammar Nazis here!
KurnDerak
BABUSHKA!

Re: Introduce yourself!

Postby KurnDerak » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:16 am

Name: Kurn Derak

Writing Style: Fantasy and Horror of several varieties in prose. Everything in poetry.

Started Writing: The earliest I remember writing were a few various things in elementary school, though I really started writing around Jr. High when I got more into short stories and poetry. Sadly, I don't have practically anything I wrote from back then.

Currently Writing: Two projects I have are currently on hiatus. One is a planned trilogy entitled The Guardian Chronicles about an organization which protects people who are fused with animal spirits and change into that animal at night. I have parts 2 and 3 planned out, and I'm stuck at not knowing what to do with part 1. The other is what is unintentionally a Last Airbender-esque universe, but with with gods and the elements rebelling against control. Another I think will also be put on hiatus, as it was used to work through a lot of things last fall which I subsequently worked through before getting it to a satisfactory point. Edit: Or I finish it the day after I posted this.
Last edited by KurnDerak on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sion
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Sion » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:03 pm

Welcome!
If you want to join us for the Skype meetings this is the information:
Next one will be on March 16th, 6:00PM Central Time
PM me for contact info.

Exited that you are interested in the Guild.
"Sojourn is never early, nor it is late-- it arrives precisely when it needs to." --Dan, ep. 334

Jolkman
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby Jolkman » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Name: Joel "Jolkman" Engebratt

Writing Style: Mostly settings that I use myself in RPGs I run.

Started Writing: I don't know when I started to write but I have as long as I can remember thinking up new worlds.

Current Writing: I have a fantasy setting I'm currently working.
As the phoenix rises from the ashes, so will I rise from any defeat.

tzeneth
BABUSHKA!

Postby tzeneth » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:31 am

Name: Marcus

Writing Style: A little of everything, although I have a preference for fantasy.

Started Writing: Sometime during one of those school years.

Current Writing: Initial outlining phase for a fantasy novel.

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:34 am

Me real name is Thomas Childress.
My writing style is, well I don't what it is. However the genres I prefer are dabbling in science fiction, fantasy, sword and sorcery/high fantasy, and some hard boiled detective type pulp fiction. Currently I am enrolled in the Library Science/Information Technology program at a local community college and hopefully transfering to IU.
My influences tend to be Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, Gaiman, Bradbury, Adams, Ellison. From a comic point of view I read a lot of Eisner, McCloud, Jeff Smith, Gaiman, Conan stuff, Pekar, Waid, Simonson and a lot of everything else and especially silver age and the like.
I started writing as early as kindergarten. We had to dictate a story about a random color. I got green and while everyone was mucking about with stories about blue skies and the like I had one about a green mailman eating monster.
I used to travel in a full time drama company as a performer/writer/director but that has been a bit. Some years ago I was writing copious amounts of short fiction and tried submitting to F&SF and others, got rejection notices of course and some with personal notes from editor (assistants).
The last thing I really wrote was my Smart Monkey mini comic that I also drew. I learned a lot from it and my next one will be much improved from the layout and printing process.
Currently writing not much of anything and I need to get back to it after a considerable dry spell. School does get in the way of that so I am going to punch up and throw out there for consideration. Hoping it will prime the well so to speak. There is school to consider as well, it tends to get in the way sometimes.
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

Kai Gaiden
The Baron's Body Double

Postby Kai Gaiden » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Been avoiding this forum bc then I'd feel accountable...which I want bc then ill actually do something lol and with the anthology rooting around now I figure this'll get me on course.

So!

Name: Kai or Colin

Writing style: fantasy is where I've always rooted myself but I do enjoy sci fi on occasion.

Started: Middle school, I'm actually still proud of some of my work that is mainly school related but polished writing in general. It's where I started world building for a current thing.

Current: sadly writing has taken a back seat to responsibilities in life. I have a dozen stories or prompts started and one folder full of world building races and lands but still fighting to find a story worth telling or one people wouldn't throw out as tired cliches. Which is where I'm hoping the anthology can kick my butt into at least producing short stories I'm proud of and start getting my own rejection letters.
Vidya gaming entertainment!
http://www.youtube.com/memoocan

"Now the boxes are doing it!" -Chad

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:01 am

Kai Gaiden wrote:sadly writing has taken a back seat to responsibilities in life.

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
It happens to all of us and for some of us longer than others, it's why I joined up.
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

Wordmaker

Postby Wordmaker » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:16 am

Even if you only manage to write 500 words a day, you can complete the first draft of a novel in less than 6 months.

Sion

Postby Sion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:41 pm

Kai Gaiden wrote:
Writing style: fantasy is where I've always rooted myself but I do enjoy sci fi on occasion.

Current: sadly writing has taken a back seat to responsibilities in life. I have a dozen stories or prompts started and one folder full of world building races and lands but still fighting to find a story worth telling or one people wouldn't throw out as tired cliches. Which is where I'm hoping the anthology can kick my butt into at least producing short stories I'm proud of and start getting my own rejection letters.

I am also firmly rooted in the fantasy genre. I already have a story that I am submitting for the Anthology, but I was thinking about maybe taking a swing at the sci-fi genre. Or maybe ...steampunk

I think that you are being a little to hard on yourself. If you want to get out of cliches then this is what I would recommend. Purposefully come up with in your mind the most cliched plot in your mind. Then start moving around the pieces until you become interested again. Maybe that will help, but it surely helped me when I was in the dooldrums of writers block.

Cheers! And long live the Writers Guild Anthology!
"Sojourn is never early, nor it is late-- it arrives precisely when it needs to." --Dan, ep. 334

Kai Gaiden
The Baron's Body Double

Postby Kai Gaiden » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:33 pm

Thanks guys :)

I am hard on myself thanks to perfectionsim. Even draft zero has to be refined in my eyes to even let it get proofread. An interesting idea you propose though, I think at the least it'd be a good exercise for me to do at different stages to check my own though patterns.

gasp steampunk!
Vidya gaming entertainment!
http://www.youtube.com/memoocan

"Now the boxes are doing it!" -Chad

Return to “Fear the Boot Writer's Guild”