Introduce yourself!

An community of writers helping each other improve their craft. Beware: Their be Grammar Nazis here!
Wayne
Host

Re: Introduce yourself!

Postby Wayne » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:01 am

I think it's about time I get involved with this.

Name: Wayne

Writing Style: Sci-Fi, Post-Apac, Superhero, Space, etc. I have a Vampire novel that I started and an idea for a short story that involves magic items, but they are not my usual style.

Started Writing: My earliest memories of writing as taking a ringed notebook and filling the entire thing up wtih a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles novel. I was barely in middle school. I remember getting complaments on writing earlier than that, but can't remember the actual writing. Through junior high and high school I wrote three novels that are lost to time. One was a vampire hunting novel that I intended to make a trillogy. One was a space invation novel that I gave up on after watching Independance Day and realizing it was almost my exact story right down to ramming a plane up the energy weapon on the ships. The final one was a horror story about an unstoppable killer who was basically Jason from Friday the 13th.

Currently Writing: Finishing up and preparing to record a short story\Annual for Richocett my Knights of Reignsborough Actual Play Superhero character.

I have a SciFi space novel that I started and stalled on. I need to drop the last two chapters because I'm not happy with them and start back from a point I was happy.

I have only barely been editing my Skies of Glass: Metropolis novel. It needs a LOT of work. I have additional novel ideas in that setting, but I'm not sure if I want to keep focusing there or switch to something completely mine.

I have a Vampire novel with dual perspectives started, but likewise stalled. My wife really enjoyed the story I was telling with it.

Finally I have a short story that I enjoyed writing and submitted to an Anthology. It got rejected. I never did care for my ending, but felt constrained by the artificial word count. I would like to go back over it and rewrite the ending. It is a fluff story, but the concept it sets up is one that has potential to me.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Sion
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Sion » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Name: Ryan
I am probably the youngest person in the guild at being seventeen.

Writing Style: I only really write fantasy fiction. It is difficult for me to write science fiction because of a huge amount of reasons that I won't get in here. I tried to write short stories but on critiques from friends they said that they thought it was the opening for a novel. I now only focus on attempting to write a novel. People have told me that I am a visual writer, and upon reflection I noticed that when I write my main objective is to make the reader feel like they are there in the moment. I guess the closest thing to pin down my tastes is the movie "Troy" with Brad Pitt. I will concede that it is not a perfect movie but a lot of the elements in that movie are things that I enjoy writing about (again I could go into more detail later).

Started Writing: I began writing when I was eleven. My first story was pretty much a LOTR ripoff but it had its own flavor to it. The first story I wrote I actually finished. Mind you it was only about 28 pages long but hey I was eleven. My writing is inexorably tied to my world building (and often tied down because of my failures in world building). I had to self learn a lot of things about writing in those early days. When I was in Jr High I got in contact with a comp teacher at Eastern Illinois University that mentored me on my writing. He explained it that he wished that he had someone to him when he was starting out. He taught me how to revise and how to have a thick skin (his critiques were harsh! And worse because he was right).

Currently pre-writing for a epic fantasy novel that mixes the spirituality of C. S. Lewis and the historically based gritty style of George R. R. Martin.

Also I have submitted a short story for the Guild The Temple of Eye. PM me and I will give you the link.
"Sojourn is never early, nor it is late-- it arrives precisely when it needs to." --Dan, ep. 334

DavidBGoode
'something' per Dan's request

Postby DavidBGoode » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:02 pm

Hey guys. Hope I'm not barging in. I've been away from the forums for a while and was really excited to see this group.

Name: David B. Goode

Writing Style: Pretty exclusively superhero stories.

Started Writing: I wrote some really bad fantasy stories in high school and college. You could clearly hear the dice rolling in the background. At the same time I started writing adventure modules, most of which turned out pretty well (as dice rolling wasn't a negative). I also wrote scripts for comics in the 90s, but didn't have the guts to submit anything after my first rejection letter (darn you WildCATS!).

Currently Writing: The second in a series of superhero/modern fantasy young adult novels (the first is in publication limbo). I'm also working on three superheroic short stories.
Super-fantasy adventure awaits at http://www.whitethornrpg.wikidot.com.

Jahaili
Red Boba Fett

Postby Jahaili » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:09 pm

Hey David, not barging in at all! I should add for folks interested in joining us for weekly meetings - please send me a PM!
Need an editor? Send me a PM. I do copyediting as well as more in-depth editing of fiction and creative nonfiction.

Clydesdale
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby Clydesdale » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:25 pm

Name: Robert Wiesehan

Writing Style: Currently writing Fantasy, but open to exploring other styles and genres over time. Also occasional opinion pieces. See below.

Started Writing: Until not too long ago, I had only written for school assignments and for my own RPG campaigns and characters. Near the beginning of the year, I wrote a few articles for bitmob.com and was miraculously front-paged a few times. It didn't pay, got me to thinking I might really be able to make something of writing. Now, here I sit, putting that idea to the test.

Currently Writing: The first book of the Aurora Knights series. The tale sits halfway between fantasy and supers fiction. My earliest understanding of fantasy sprung from video games (lots of JRPGs) and anime. This is my attempt to harness what I think are the best traits of that fiction and deliver them in a fashion that doesn't alienate a western audience.
Robert Wiesehan
Dungeons and Dragons 4e Actual Play at Dungeons & Randomness.
Live streaming video games on Twitch.tv.
Twitter
Tumblr

Wordmaker

Postby Wordmaker » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:10 am

Name: Paul Anthony Shortt

Writing Style: Urban Fantasy

Started Writing: When I was 12. It was after my family went on a trip down to Tullamore in Waterford to a now-closed attraction called Celtworld, which had animatronic shows telling stories from Irish mythology. Thinking back, a lot of it was pretty cheesy and OTT, but it fired my imagination. I wrote up a summary of my first fantasy setting that night back at the B&B we were staying in.

Currently Writing: A re-write of the sequel to my first novel, Locked Within, which is out on November 6th. I had submitted the completed manuscript to my publisher, and they suggested I combine some of the events I had in mind for the third book with the second. This has given me the opportunity to reduce my planned 6-book series to a trilogy, keeping the story much tighter and making every scene count.

Note: As I live in Ireland, I pretty much can't make it to the Skype chats, which is a real shame. But I'd love to contribute to any forum discussions taking place.

JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby JediSoth » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:16 pm

Name: Hans Cummings aka JediSoth

Writing Style: Fantasy/Sci-Fi - my style has been described as similar to an action movie (fast-paced, I guess?) and also, by one person in Sweden, as reminiscent of Pratchett. I look to Michael Stackpole's writing as my style guide, sort of.

Started Writing: I started writing in earnest as a senior in High School. I still have that ... stuff ... somewhere, but I don't think it'll ever see the light of day. Wings of Twilight was my first published novel. It's gotten good reviews so far, and about the kind of sales you'd expect from someone with no marketing budget.

Currently Writing: Working on my third novel set in the World of Calliome, the fantasy world I developed for my writings. I have a YA Sci-Fi currently with Beta Readers, Zack Jackson & The Cult of Athos. I plan to send it to an editor next month with an eye on a November release.
Last edited by JediSoth on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

Zero
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby Zero » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Name: Zero, AKA Ben

Writing Style: Magical Realism, Hard/Soft Sci-fi, Noir, Horror (Eldricht and standard), Detective Stories, Superhero Stories, Fantasy, mashups of all of the above, and any of the above with the word "punk" at the end.

Started Writing: Second Grade, ensemble style detective stories that were no way ripoffmashups of Scooby Doo and H.G. Wells. Not much has changed ^.^

Currently Writing: Editing Two Novels- One Superheropunk, One Cyberpunk. Editing One Script- TCM Slasher style horror with a twist. Editing one Television show outline- Urban fantasy, three musketeers meets Cthulhu based around a religious organization and those exiled from them. Outlining one Dungeon Punk story (Really, trilogy with a support novel) and three short stories (A hard Sci-fi mech story, A fighting game dark comedy short story, and one set in the same urban fantasy universe as the TV series with a darker main character). I'm also helping my brother write a book on business, although it seems to be slowly stalling. And I've actually cut down since I found 40hour a week employment :p.
I'm a firm believer in Hanlon's Razor, Sturgeon's Law, and Poe's Law- so I'm likely to take your posts at face value, but cynically.

The Blue Bandit

Postby The Blue Bandit » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Another one of those folks just inserting myself in the community :D . I won't be able to attend the meetings, as I work until at least 7pm EST every Saturday, but I would like to be active on the forums.

Name: Robert Freund

Writing Style: For a long time I stuck with fantasy, but lately I've been branching out...though I suppose most of what I write still has fantasy elements in it. Mostly, I tend to stick with the fantasy/sci-fi/horror side of everything, and lately my interests seem to be turning towards urban fantasy and what I guess could only be called...historical fantasy?

Started Writing: If I recall correctly (and unfortunately my memory, especially of my childhood, is pretty well shot), I started writing around eighth grade, about the same time I was introduced to Tolkien and (almost at once) D&D. I started writing my own fantasy stories, working in composition notebooks and on a very old computer. By ninth grade, I had decided that writing is what I wanted to do with my life, and I've spent the time since trying to remind myself of that.

Currently Writing: I am currently focusing on short fiction. I tend, as it seems many fantasy writers do, to get rather long-winded and turn ideas into two or three or four or eight book series (which then never get written, in most cases). My hope is that focusing for a time on short stories will allow me to build discipline, tighten my prose, and teach me to cut out the unnecessary. I wouldn't mind selling a few, either, to build up a few publishing credits on the way - though the market for fantasy/sci-fi short stories seems to have dried up in the years that I stopped paying attention to it.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Contributing author to Sojourn: An Anthology of Speculative Fiction Volume 1 and Volume 2

D3M410
Myopic Sycophant

Postby D3M410 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:04 pm

Name: James DeMaio or JM DeMaio if I'm writing poetry.

Started Writing: I wrote my first real poem, a haiku about fireworks, at age five. I've since dabbled in nearly every kind of writing, although poetry, especially anthropomorphic haikus have been the constant. I have a BA in English Literature and have taught poetry non-professionally on and off for the last four years. (Unfortunately, I seem to have a mental block when it comes to comprehending the difference between stressed and unstressed syllables, so I cannot do much with formal meters.)

Writing Style: To date, if it's been completed it's probably poetry. I have three or four hundred poems written from 8th grade to the present day. I did write a 20-30 page Star Wars fanfic. I wrote the complete text for two terribly un-PC musicals in high school. I've done a lot of world building for fantasy IPs and written some short stories set in my original IPs. My largest work to date was a 200 page draft for a novel about modern gang warfare and multiple-personality disorder titled "The Gentleman's Guide to Ruling the World: Or a Chunk of It at the Very Least." I lost that when I dropped my laptop out of my van in college.

Currently Writing: Poems about life and contemplating revisiting "The Gentleman's Guide" or starting work on a post-apoc science-fantasy young adult series based allegorically on the book of Genesis.
Been out of the world for a spell... like to walk it a while.

Return to “Fear the Boot Writer's Guild”