Introduce yourself!

An community of writers helping each other improve their craft. Beware: Their be Grammar Nazis here!
Aaron Stack
The TOFtBCH Trigger

Introduce yourself!

Postby Aaron Stack » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:54 pm

We all mostly know each other, but for new people coming in, it'd be nice to have a central place for information on each of the members - general relevant stuff, like when you started writing, what kinds of things you write, etc.

Because I am not a good example, I will start.

Name: Aaron Stack (or Stack, or Stacktimus Prime, or El Stackerino if you're not into the whole brevity thing)

Writing Style: Primarily fantasy fiction, though I do blog about movies and other stuff and I want to get back into horror sometime as well.

Started Writing: I wrote the most ridiculous novel about mutants - as in X-Men - in middle school. It was definitely one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time, because X-Men is So Cool when you're in middle school. But it was also the first project I really 'finished', and I wanted to do more of that - so much so that I got a degree in English to learn how to write something more invigorating than The Adventures Of People With Poisonous Spines.

Currently Writing: A fantasy novel (or rather, currently editing) and blog posts. I'm also outlining - slowly - the next novel in the same world.
Triggerhappy938 wrote:You must be careful, Aaron's is the d4 that will pierce the heavens!

Chronicles of Spire: Rebellion - Now on Smashwords and CreateSpace!

Jahaili
Red Boba Fett

Re: Introduce yourself!

Postby Jahaili » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:15 pm

Name: Jahaili (also J, sometimes Laura)

Writing Style: Er, whatever strikes my fancy. I frequently write fantasy, but I've branched out into science fiction, and I'm planning a steampunk novel at some point in the near future. I'm really interested in the styles of Philip K. Dick and H.P. Lovecraft.

Started Writing: Is this the place to mention that I got my start writing really bad Mary Sue fanfiction and really bad Mary Sue romances? Then I got a life (graduated from high school). I got a bachelor's degree in English, with a focus on creative writing. I'm currently working on a Master's in literature and creative writing, focusing on speculative fiction.

Currently Writing: A fantasy novel (about five chapters left, then the editing process begins), some science fiction short stories for class, and beginning to consider outlining the steampunk novel. I have a list in a notebook of all the different story ideas I've got, though.
Need an editor? Send me a PM. I do copyediting as well as more in-depth editing of fiction and creative nonfiction.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:19 pm

I suppose this counts as inviting myself. ;)

Name: Clint Memo

Writing Style: Fantasy/SF short stories and opinion pieces (many of which would be Cosworthy). I lack the discipline to write regularly or in a planned enough fashion to try to write a novel.

Started Writing: In high school as a stress reliever. I was horrified when my senior English teacher asked me to read something in class - an refused.
I've written a few things for my own entertainment and stress relief and far too infrequently posted to my blog. The closest thing I have ever had to success was entering into the Flash Fiction contest at the EscapePod website a few years ago. I entered three pieces. Two made it to the second round and I think one made it to the third.

Currently Writing: Nothing on paper and lots of stuff in my head. Since a lot of the things that bounce around in my head are just scenes or vignettes, I might post them here just to void them from my head.
I like the short story format both as a reader and a writer.
Find a interesting idea.
Talk about it in "show don't tell" fashion.
Get the hell out.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:24 pm

Name(s): Leoff, or Shannon.

I have been writing as long as I have been reading, and even before then was telling myself and my brothers stories. In high school I was sure I'd end up being one of the great, profound poets and fantasy writers; of late I realize that I am better at rhyme doggerel, and (still) fantasy.

I have a BA in history and classics from the U of Saskatchewan, and am married to a scientist.

Addicted2aa
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Addicted2aa » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:30 pm

Name: Ringo.

Writing Style: Contemporary fiction. A mixture of black humor, ironic tragedy (Ironic in the hipster meaning, Tragedy in the greek meaning), and political/social diatribe.

Started Writing: In 5th grade. Thought I could write a novel. Several short stories, many failed novels, and close to 2 decades later I realized I prefer short form over long form, plus I'm too ADD for a novel anyway.I keep trying though. And keep failing.

Currently writing: Nothing. Haven't had anytime in the past couple months. Looking forward to starting a series of essays on all the controversial stances I hold and hopefully reach come clarity in my position. Probably won't be submitting those to the group.
Also I have a plan for a fictional auto-biography of my time as a drug dealer. But with zombies. That I will submit.
blog blog blog
Peace and Love
-Ringo

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:30 pm

Name: Todd Zircher (sounds like ZERker)

Style: Unlike most of the others, I don't write much fiction unless it is to serve as a teaser or example. I predominately write game rules and play sets for RPG and war games.

Started: My brother and I wrote our first RPG back in the late 70's when we heard about D&D but didn't quite understand the concept. Still, we had a lot of fun with it until we actually could find D&D for sale (at a grocery store of all places.)

Currently: The next major war game project is Frozen Thunder a sci-fi grav tank game. That's slightly on the back burner while I learn a new game programming tool called Unity3D. I need to revamp the original DAT Builder to support the game design. I also write play sets for The Trouble with Rose, a story telling game that's a bit like Fiasco but focused on characters and their hidden agendas rather than relations, needs, and things. I have a couple of those in the queue. I'm also looking at doing something with Hymenoptera which is a setting involving sentient insects.

Not sure if I'll inflict a full blown war game on the guild (evil grin), but their feedback on TTwR was very helpful.

Things written: A Blaze of Glory (a sci-fi RPG using the Fuzion system, unpublished), contributed to several editions of the Fire on the Suns space empire game rules and their source books, Tactical Command (space ship war game), Cluster War (small scale space empire rules), The Trouble with Rose (started as a 2011 Game Chef entry), Three Card Coyote (2012 GC entry), and a bunch of TTwR play sets; Deep Six, Ghost Echo Rose (inspired by Ghost/Echo), Pony Trouble, Redline Crush, Super Trouble, Six Guns and Dust, and The Trouble with John (which is inspired by the game Everyone is John.)

Looking further back, I used to be a prolific note writer for RPGs that I ran including a long running Champions campaign where before each session I'd write up a mini-newsletter called the Fortean Press that chronicled the super heroes and presented plot hooks and red herrings.
--
TAZ

I also write long introductions about myself and shameless re-edit them. :-D

Dntspard
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Dntspard » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:05 pm

Name: Steve

Writing style: Tend to jump between fantasy and sci fi. Need to work on my sci fi writing since that seems harder to me than fantasy. Also tend to write up pointless blogs across the internet it seems.

Started Writing: Jr high or earlier. Had a teacher actually give up a assignment to write a story, and I went three times longer then she wanted us to. Only A I ever got from her. Since then keep jumping around trying to write but either losing the data (dad reformatted and lost over 200pgs, and hard drive failure during college). But always have some story working on either actually writing or just thinking up the over all plot and trying to make it work in my head.

Currently writing: Working between a collaboration between me and my roommate involving lycanthropes and such, and a Sci Fi based story that I had to revamp from years ago.

Also written a ton of research papers for college/grad school so can help with those. Also figure best place to kinda shove it here, skype is dntspard (aren't I imaginative with my names?) for either chatting or even meetings when they happen and I can easily join.

Timespike
Crossed the River

Postby Timespike » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Name: Timespike, 'Spike, Peter, or Pete

Writing Style: Blogging, mostly about media consumption, but occasionally about my experiences self-teaching various tech skills. I can also slam out some very short fiction on occasion, but it's typically not very good, so I usually don't.

Started Writing: Some time as a wee little one. Really started to enjoy it back in my twenties some time.

Currently Writing: My blog, Clearing The Backlog for the most part.

Other notes: I'm a bit of a smart alec in meetings, but I also try very hard to contribute something of worth.

STGGrant
Myopic Sycophant

Postby STGGrant » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:04 pm

Name: Saragon, a.k.a. Grant

Rest will have to wait, for obvious reasons, but I wanted to reserve a spot. :/
Saving The Game - A Christian gaming podcast for everybody
(Warning: May contain interesting theological content!)

Join the FTB Writers' Guild!

SilverseraphAE
Teller of gaming stories

Postby SilverseraphAE » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Name: Branden Leavens (Also answers to 'Silverseraph', 'Silver', or 'Seraph')

Writing Style: Currently mostly Scripts and Screenwriting

Started Writing: It probably started back when I discovered online role playing in chat rooms. From there I went on to write a few rather horrible stories including a fanfic/back story thing about my Starwas RPG character. For the most part I didn't really do much writing other than Online RP til a few years ago when I started taking screenwriting classes for my Major.

Currently Writing: An epicly long dark and twisted script loosely based on the Wizard of Oz, under the working title of "Ozwar"
Last edited by SilverseraphAE on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mobius04 wrote:An outstanding feat for a fellow cleric to the Wall of Text.
Timespike wrote:My bookseller rage has been kindled

Return to “Fear the Boot Writer's Guild”