References

An community of writers helping each other improve their craft. Beware: Their be Grammar Nazis here!
Aaron Stack
The TOFtBCH Trigger

References

Postby Aaron Stack » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:07 pm

As suggested by Jahaili, post links to any works (books, movies, video games, illustrated manuscripts, etc.) you reference frequently in this thread. Ideally, add in some reason beyond "Because it should be" why it should be on the list; a useful reason would be 'This shows how to do character development really well', or 'There's a great example of foreshadowing here that isn't painfully, immediately obvious'.

As we add new works, I will be editing this post to add a chronological list of our references (from first post to last post).

Fair Warning: For my own sanity, please keep discussion of references - or anything unrelated to references - out of this thread. If I have to wade through five layers of replies to get to one reference, Bad Things will happen. Likely to your face.

Second Fair Warning: I will eventually be sorting this alphabetically when submissions die down a bit. I am keeping the list categories fairly broad; if something is both a movie and a book, I list it under 'Books and Tabletop RPGs'.

Movies and Television Series:
  • Fight Club(movie) (great foreshadowing, amazing characterization, interesting way of doing "info dumps" that aren't info dumps, even better in the novel)
  • The Illusionist (for its characters and use of foreshadowing and second-person narration)
  • Breaking Bad for the amazing characters

Books and Tabletop RPGs:
  • Unknown Armies, 2nd Edition
  • Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott
  • Hyperion, by Dan Simms
  • Game of Thrones (book series/TV series)
  • Mistborn (book series)
  • LoTR(movie and Books) Because all modern fantasy is characterized and informed by it.
  • Discworld, by Terry Prachet or Hitchiker's series by Douglas Adams (they do humor and breaking the fourth wall well.
  • On Writing by Stephen King - nuts and bolts idiot's guide on how to write stuff from someone that has been very successful at writing stuff.
  • World Building by Stephen L. Gillett
  • Aliens and Alien Societies by Stanley Schmidt
  • The Writer's Guide to Creating a Science Fiction Universe by George Ochoa and Jeffrey Osier
  • Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin
  • Hyperion by Dan Simmons
  • The Sundering by Jacqueline Carey. On the issue of making the fantasy epic shade of grey she does a great job about it. She succeeds in making it us vs. them not good vs evil.
  • The Conan short stories by Robert E. Howard. The the one's written by the creator. Mentioned for the great action prose and general ethos of the works.
  • The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

Video Games:
  • Bastion (video game)
  • Mass Effect (Video game series)

Last edited by Aaron Stack on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
Triggerhappy938 wrote:You must be careful, Aaron's is the d4 that will pierce the heavens!

Chronicles of Spire: Rebellion - Now on Smashwords and CreateSpace!

STGGrant
Myopic Sycophant

Re: References

Postby STGGrant » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:11 pm

Unknown Armies, 2nd Edition
Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott
Hyperion, by Dan Simms
Last edited by STGGrant on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saving The Game - A Christian gaming podcast for everybody
(Warning: May contain interesting theological content!)

Join the FTB Writers' Guild!

Timespike
Crossed the River

Postby Timespike » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:13 pm

Bastion (video game)
Game of Thrones (book series/TV series)
Mistborn (book series)

Addicted2aa
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Addicted2aa » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:22 pm

LoTR(movie and Books) Because all modern fantasy is characterized and informed by it.

Fight Club(movie) (great foreshadowing, amazing characterization, interesting way of doing "info dumps" that aren't info dumps, even better in the novel)

Discworld, by Terry Prachet or hitchikers series (they do humor and breaking the fourth wall well.
blog blog blog
Peace and Love
-Ringo

Timespike
Crossed the River

Postby Timespike » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:23 pm

Mass Effect (Video game series) gets referenced an awful lot, too.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:54 pm

On Writing by Stephen King - nuts and bolts idiot's guide on how to write stuff from someone that has been very successful at writing stuff.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Jahaili
Red Boba Fett

Postby Jahaili » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:09 pm

Wheel of Time. I know I've brought it up several times for a good example of worldbuilding.

Also, I believe you mention The Illusionist frequently.

Stack, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, perhaps we (meaning you) could organize the list into sections (books, movies, etc...)?
Need an editor? Send me a PM. I do copyediting as well as more in-depth editing of fiction and creative nonfiction.

Aaron Stack
The TOFtBCH Trigger

Postby Aaron Stack » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:25 pm

Jahaili wrote:Stack, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, perhaps we (meaning you) could organize the list into sections (books, movies, etc...)?

I like the idea of an unorganized list causing you immeasurable pain until you get my stuff looked at ;) But honestly, it would make me happier to be organized like that too. I just didn't know how much of what would pop up, and I'm not going to have "well that's not really a book so much as a role playing setting" arguments with people.
Triggerhappy938 wrote:You must be careful, Aaron's is the d4 that will pierce the heavens!

Chronicles of Spire: Rebellion - Now on Smashwords and CreateSpace!

Addicted2aa
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Addicted2aa » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Why not? that's what the internet is for?
blog blog blog
Peace and Love
-Ringo

Jahaili
Red Boba Fett

Postby Jahaili » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:16 pm

Aaron Stack wrote:
Jahaili wrote:Stack, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, perhaps we (meaning you) could organize the list into sections (books, movies, etc...)?

I like the idea of an unorganized list causing you immeasurable pain until you get my stuff looked at ;) But honestly, it would make me happier to be organized like that too. I just didn't know how much of what would pop up, and I'm not going to have "well that's not really a book so much as a role playing setting" arguments with people.

Jerk. :p

But work comes before anything I do for free/fun. So you just hold your horses.

That's such a weird idiom.
Need an editor? Send me a PM. I do copyediting as well as more in-depth editing of fiction and creative nonfiction.

Return to “Fear the Boot Writer's Guild”