As we add new works, I will be editing this post to add a chronological list of our references (from first post to last post).
Fair Warning: For my own sanity, please keep discussion of references - or anything unrelated to references - out of this thread. If I have to wade through five layers of replies to get to one reference, Bad Things will happen. Likely to your face.
Second Fair Warning: I will eventually be sorting this alphabetically when submissions die down a bit. I am keeping the list categories fairly broad; if something is both a movie and a book, I list it under 'Books and Tabletop RPGs'.
- Movies and Television Series:
- Fight Club(movie) (great foreshadowing, amazing characterization, interesting way of doing "info dumps" that aren't info dumps, even better in the novel)
- The Illusionist (for its characters and use of foreshadowing and second-person narration)
- Breaking Bad for the amazing characters
- Books and Tabletop RPGs:
- Unknown Armies, 2nd Edition
- Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott
- Hyperion, by Dan Simms
- Game of Thrones (book series/TV series)
- Mistborn (book series)
- LoTR(movie and Books) Because all modern fantasy is characterized and informed by it.
- Discworld, by Terry Prachet or Hitchiker's series by Douglas Adams (they do humor and breaking the fourth wall well.
- On Writing by Stephen King - nuts and bolts idiot's guide on how to write stuff from someone that has been very successful at writing stuff.
- World Building by Stephen L. Gillett
- Aliens and Alien Societies by Stanley Schmidt
- The Writer's Guide to Creating a Science Fiction Universe by George Ochoa and Jeffrey Osier
- Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin
- Hyperion by Dan Simmons
- The Sundering by Jacqueline Carey. On the issue of making the fantasy epic shade of grey she does a great job about it. She succeeds in making it us vs. them not good vs evil.
- The Conan short stories by Robert E. Howard. The the one's written by the creator. Mentioned for the great action prose and general ethos of the works.
- The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
- Video Games:
- Bastion (video game)
- Mass Effect (Video game series)