A place for you guys to interact with us through questions, comments, or your own advice on the game.
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Re: Skype

Postby clintmemo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:53 am

Wayne wrote:I have personally seen the person hosting a call make a difference in the call quality. I don't know exactly why that is, but have done some testing and it does have an impact.

Our experience is that hosting the call takes a lot more processing power and bandwidth than just being on the call.
I have no idea why that would be.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Bai Shen
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Bai Shen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:53 pm

clintmemo wrote:
Wayne wrote:I have personally seen the person hosting a call make a difference in the call quality. I don't know exactly why that is, but have done some testing and it does have an impact.

Our experience is that hosting the call takes a lot more processing power and bandwidth than just being on the call.
I have no idea why that would be.

I've not noticed any real workload from hosting a call. I did some testing with Wayne the other day and even with 3 others on the call, I didn't notice any appreciable load on the system.
Vote Mumblebear/CHAINSAW

SensoryThought
BABUSHKA!

Postby SensoryThought » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:23 am

Our group uses ventrilo and maptools. Vent is better I find for more people. You can also turn off push to talk and make it voice activated (which is what we do).

blcahill
BABUSHKA!

Postby blcahill » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:02 am

We use skype for some players. When it is the only major application running on the computer it is fine, anything else running causes problems.

I now have a skype dedicated laptop so I can use a laptop while GMing. We use a video camera pointed at the table for the skype people as we still have most at the actual table.

Vent is fine if hosted, call quality can be adjusted by each vent client. So is more adjustable, but the need of a video camera made more sense with skype.
Bob C

JediMike
Learn2ChadStyle

Postby JediMike » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:02 am

I'm suprised that Vent is giving such poor quality. In my experience, it has done quite well. It's not quite as clear as Skype, but is still quite good. Maybe whoever has the server settings just picked a lower quality level with the Codex?
House Kurita Mechwarriors do not appreciate posters of Godzilla taped over their optical sensors.

Return to “Public Discussion”