Class Archetypes

A place for you guys to interact with us through questions, comments, or your own advice on the game.
GymProFit
BABUSHKA!

Class Archetypes

Postby GymProFit » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:52 am

Just wondering if players will be restricted, (not that it's really a "restriction") to the core classes, or allowed to also choose from the official archetypes for each class.

The Magus class, for example, has the following archetypes available (above and beyond the base class):

Bladebound, Hexcrafter, Spellblade, and Staff Magus from Ultimate Magic (the same book that the base Magus class appears in)

Kensai, Myrmidarch, Skirnir, and Soul Forger from Ultimate Combat
"There's nothing quite as fantastic/horrifying/exhilarating as your life unfolding before you! Go! Go! Go! I'm all in!!!"
-Bree Sharp

Wayne
Host

Re: Class Archetypes

Postby Wayne » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:11 am

I looked at all the Bard Archetypes and none of them appealed for this character. I have yet to play an Archetype, but Sara is playing a "Mysterious Stranger" Gunslinger in Pathfinder Society.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:51 pm

That's a good question.

Now that I've switched from the SRD to the PRD, I notice that Magus isn't even among the Base or Core classes in the PRD. The raw class comes from Ultimate Magic with some archetypes added in Ultimate Combat.

Since I'm new to the rules system, I'd like to avoid as many deviations-from-the-norm as possible. If Pat wasn't so sold on the class, I'd hesitate to even take the regular Magus at all.

As for archetypes, if someone feels they just HAVE to play one to get their character right, I can probably make it work. But the less weird (rules-wise) everyone's character is, the happier I'll be. Time to ask my players directly!
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

Johann
Host

Postby Johann » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:33 am

I had, in fact, planned on an archetype. However, it's not a requirement. I'm not going to go cry in the bathroom for the rest of the night because my character is ruined if no archetypes are allowed. :)

Return to “Public Discussion”