2/22 post-game

A read-only forum where we'll discuss the game with the intent that listeners can see how we (fail to) apply our own ideas.
Chris
Host

Re: 2/22 post-game

Postby Chris » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:19 am

updated and such
The Adventures of Young & Holt - A Deadlands: Reloaded Actual Play podcast

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:16 pm

Chris wrote:* The ending of it. Perhaps this is because I've never really done chargen sessions only, but as a fan of "getting into the action right away" I kind of wanted to get going with stuff. Granted, it was late and we couldn't have started an adventure or anything, but even some teaser boxed text to whet the appetite. I just got done with a big meal of character creation, felt all good and stuff, and I was really looking for dessert. Just some sort of tease as to what awaited us.

There's a two-fold reason for that.

First, things need some time to percolate. From my perspective, I was looking for a bit more information to make sure I get the start right. For the sake of the players, I wanted you guys to have a chance to think over your personalities and relationships.

Second, where this game will start is with something that's meant to have a certain dramatic effect, but that effect isn't a cliff-hanger. I think if I were to deliver it and walk away for a few weeks, it would lose its emotional punch. That should make more sense once we get through the first play session.

Changing gears completely...

Wayne, my connection is perfectly solid. The unstable connection I had way back when was with a different ISP. The bitch is that Skype treats the first person to make the call as the server-level host of the conference. And since the connection is always on, a huge amount of traffic gets piped through places that volume of data should never go (particularly since the average home connection has its bandwidth heavily favoring download over upload).

The other oddity is that certain people were hearing everything fine. Chris and I could understand each other perfectly. But Pat and John couldn't. So it's also possible their home connections couldn't handle the incoming stream.

With that said, I'm not against retrying Skype or switching to Google, and using you as the voice host. I'm just not immediately convinced it will fix anything. But no harm in trying!
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

John
Host

Postby John » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:08 pm

I have known for some time that my home connection is bad. My poor reception could have been my own dumb fault.

But since I'm moving tomorrow this will not long be a problem.

Johann
Host

Postby Johann » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:20 pm

My home connection is dodgy to start with. Then I have a very sketchy router that I was connected to wirelessly. On top of that, the laptop I was using has wireless issues. That's why I kept dropping. I'm hoping to solve that problem before next session.

If only I know some professional network / computer repair person that could check out my stuff.

Return to “Player Discussion”