rule restrictions

A read-only forum where we'll discuss the game with the intent that listeners can see how we (fail to) apply our own ideas.
Dan
Host

rule restrictions

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:21 pm

During character creation, you may only draw from stuff in PF base, PF core, and the D&D 3.0 edition Forgotten Realms sourcebook. If you want anything outside of those, have a really good sales pitch prepared.

As a side note, while I'm drawing rules from FR 3.0 for compatibility reasons, I'm using the setting material from the 1987 box set (TSR 1031). I simply prefer that era of play, as I grew up on the gold box video games.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

Wayne
Host

Re: rule restrictions

Postby Wayne » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:11 pm

Dan wrote:During character creation, you may only draw from stuff in PF base, PF core, and the D&D 3.0 edition Forgotten Realms sourcebook. If you want anything outside of those, have a really good sales pitch prepared.

As a side note, while I'm drawing rules from FR 3.0 for compatibility reasons, I'm using the setting material from the 1987 box set (TSR 1031). I simply prefer that era of play, as I grew up on the gold box video games.

The class Pat wants to play is from Ultimate Magic I believe. Basically Pathfinder has the core rule book, advanced player guide, and then two more large books before we get into small setting books. I'm not sure what you mean by base. The restriction shouldn't affect me much other than spell list, but it is a big deal for Pat if Ultimate Magic use out.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:23 pm

I'm going off of the SRD. It categorizes them into base classes, core classes, and then a ton of third party crap that I'm disallowing. The magus is a base class.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Dan wrote:I'm going off of the SRD. It categorizes them into base classes, core classes, and then a ton of third party crap that I'm disallowing. The magus is a base class.

Ok cool. That makes more sense. I thought you were naming the books themselves. I suggest using the prd on the paiso site because it doesn't include all the 3rd party stuff.

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:39 pm

OK, then let's set this in stone...

1. The Pathfinder PRD will be our primary rules authority. The resource in question can be found at: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

2. The only setting reference we'll use is the Forgotten Realms boxed set (TSR 1031), with some era-relevant material drawn from Faiths & Avatars (TSR 9516). As I admit only a modest knowledge of FR and no interest in studying the novels or holding to its canon beyond 1357 DR, I will consider these references alone to be authoritative.

3. We will also use some rules found in the later Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting sourcebook (WTC 11836). However, this will only be select rules such as feats, spells, domains, or bonus starting gear based on geographic origin. Rules will be employed only in cases where they supplement (rather than contradict) the PRD.

4. To avoid some problems we've had in past campaigns, non-spontaneous casters must keep a list of memorized spells and will only be given extremely limited time to select which spell they intend to cast that round. You don't get 20 minutes to study the book in the middle of a fight. ;)

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:28 am

Dan wrote:3. We will also use some rules found in the later Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting sourcebook (WTC 11836). However, this will only be select rules such as feats, spells, domains, or bonus starting gear based on geographic origin. Rules will be employed only in cases where they supplement (rather than contradict) the PRD.

How many feats, spells, etc are in the campaign setting? I don't have the book, but I am very interetested in any addition options I have in the feat\spell department.

I have been reading up some on the Forgotten Realms Wiki and it seems like Golden Dwarf is the mostly likely type of Dwarf for me. Just about everything about them fits my backstory. They ar more open to magic, rooted in tradition, they are raised from birth to take a profession, and they are shuned for breaking cultural taboos. Just about everything in thier overall description fits how he grew up and who he is.

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:31 pm

There's a pretty decent number of feats and abilities in that book. Some of them ended up incorporated in the core material of Pathfinder. However, since you lack access to the book, I'll at least give you a fly-by of the more interesting stuff during character creation.

Return to “Player Discussion”