point buy values

A read-only forum where we'll discuss the game with the intent that listeners can see how we (fail to) apply our own ideas.
Dan
Host

point buy values

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:42 pm

I'm splitting this off into its own discussion. Noting the point-buy stuff here...

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability- ... r-creation

...what sort of game do you want? John has voted for low or standard. My inclination is standard or high. It seems like the difference between standard and high is whether you want to mix strengths and weakness -OR- mix strengths and average.

What sort of feel do you guys want from your characters?
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

John
Host

Re: point buy values

Postby John » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm a wizard so I don't give a crap I'm going to be awesome no matter what I need one attribute baaaahahahahahahahahahaha

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:14 pm

I am used to high. Don't feel pressured into point buy if you want rolls though. You are right that point buy leads to more uniform builds(ie why take 15 when 14 is cheaper and you don't get an extra bonus)

I have a couple layout ideas so I'll post my stats when I decide on them.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Chris
Host

Postby Chris » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:04 am

If you truly want to have this last until high levels, that seems to indicate to me that there is an epicness involved.

So let's be epic. I vote standard to high
The Adventures of Young & Holt - A Deadlands: Reloaded Actual Play podcast

Johann
Host

Postby Johann » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:13 am

I'm accustomed to high, but it makes little difference, really. As John said, casters need one stat, so the difference is going to be how the others balance out around it. I can do any of them easily enough... or roll, for that matter. The only reason I would shy away from rolling is that with rolled stats, I usually generate stats first, then "Read the tea leaves" and generate the character around them.

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:32 pm

OK, based on the vote, we'll use high.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

Return to “Player Discussion”