scheduling reminder

A read-only forum where we'll discuss the game with the intent that listeners can see how we (fail to) apply our own ideas.
Chris
Host

Re: scheduling reminder

Postby Chris » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:01 am

Dan wrote:Why do you guys prefer point-buy to rolling?

Numbers is numbers and they do what they do, and stats can sometimes dictate aspects of your character you may not have planned for. And while I accept that, I prefer to roll (no pun for me) with what the dice give me after I've sprung from the soil. I'd rather have the 18 strength and deal with the results of a '1' than a 5 strength that I hadn't counted on - essentially Wayne's argument.

Dan wrote:The only thing I don't want is a point-buy system. I realize it's the most fair, but the systems that use it tend to also turn out very same-y characters over time.

I look at it from the PCs personality rather than the dice. Sure stats may be similar, but a character's behavior isn't.

All that said, I'm open to whatever you want. It's your game. If it makes you happy to have dice rolls for stats... I will not say:

The Adventures of Young & Holt - A Deadlands: Reloaded Actual Play podcast

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:47 pm

@gaming group - I have no strong opinion, so since two of you have a preference, I'll happily defer. We'll use point-buy for this game. I'll punt to John and Wayne on Pathfinder rules, as I'm not clear if there's a standard starting amount for the point-buy system or if I need to dictate the points you have to spend. I've played point-buy games that worked both ways. Either you always get X points or, "Based on the kind of game the GM wants, you should get somewhere between A and Z points."

@LF - Doh! Good catch! I meant to set this area to "read only", but I accidentally picked "reply only". That's fixed now.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:52 pm

Never mind! I found my own answer...

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability- ... r-creation

Any preference from you guys on feel? Whatever you choose, I'll just adjust the game difficulty to fit. Or if you have no preference, I've already got a choice picked out. I just don't feel strongly about it.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

John
Host

Postby John » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:23 pm

Low and Standard are naturally my votes. -johngrana-

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:51 am

Everyone still on for tonight at 7:30?

Chris
Host

Postby Chris » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:21 am

Like Donkey Kong
The Adventures of Young & Holt - A Deadlands: Reloaded Actual Play podcast

Johann
Host

Postby Johann » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:22 pm

I am, though I seem to be coming down with something. My voice is questionable at best right now. If it deteriorates any more at all (which is likely, since I generally can't avoid using it at work), I won't have much input, but since this is mostly an "intro the Maptools and the campaign" that shouldn't pose too much of an issue.

Pat
Host

Postby Pat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:47 pm

I am still on for tonight. I still haven't downloaded any of the shit we need yet, but hey, i'll just bring my charm!
"Do you know that deer are not bullet proof and they're made out of food?"

-Joe Rogan

John
Host

Postby John » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:43 pm

Yes. Night court battle array is uncertain but I will be slightly late at worst and probably not even that.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:58 pm

I will be on, but it looks like I will have a work bridgeline going in the background.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Return to “Player Discussion”