Ep 61 Soft open

Discussion about episodes, blog entries, or anything related to the Kicked in the Dicebags family of podcasts.

Moderator: Kicked in the Dicebags

Forum rules
This sub-forum is moderated by the hosts of Kicked in the Dicebags. Please respect their wishes.
DirtyxByrd
Wicked, Hella, Awesome, Tight

Ep 61 Soft open

Postby DirtyxByrd » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:55 am

messing around with some new music.
Junk Magic Junk! I edit and say random things on the
Image Podcast

Ginger Thunder
'something' per Dan's request

Re: Ep 61 Soft open

Postby Ginger Thunder » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:25 pm

Haven't gotten through all of this yet. Would like to comment on Chads take on "real geeks" or "geek cred" being about people wanting to be better than other people or whatever.

< :soapbox: >
I think with some people this may definitely be true. However, I also think there are a few other factors or thoughts about this.

First off, we all know that there has been a recent shift in our culture on all things geeky or nerdy. And due to the comic book and fantasy movies, shows like Game of Thrones and even Big Bang Theory, and other media has made geek culture kind of "in" right now. And there are some people out there who chase fads or always want to be part of whats "in," and so naturally there WILL be people who will try to emulate that culture to be cool or in, as opposed to being someone who genuinely loves gaming or comics or My Little Pony.

So what's the problem with that? In my opinion nothing, especially if some of these people end up getting to try gaming or comics or My Little Pony and maybe end up finding that they enjoy it. Hey, welcome to the fold. But some may question this and wonder if these people will still be around if or when geek culture is no longer in or cool. If they weren't here before like us "real geeks," how do we know they'll be back then.

Brings me to my second point. Many of us have been geeks since long before movies and TV made it cool. In fact many of us have suffered from bullying, and ridicule. We may have suffered "gamer shame." Hell, some of us even had to keep some of our geek activity a secret from people we considered friends and family. How many peoples were even forbidden to partake by their own parents? I know I was.

But today, that's not nearly as prevalent. And you may think, "well, that's a good thing right?" Hell yeah it is! BUT, I can understand that for some of us, we may feel like we had to go through something to do the hobby or pursue an interest that we love. Essentially, we paid our dues. But YOU didn't. You joined in once it was cool. But where were you then?

Now, I'm not saying either of these things are right or justifiable or that this is the case for everyone. It's just something I've observed and I think goes deeper than Chad's theory of people just assholes.

But, with all of that said. Some people are just assholes.

</ :soapbox: >

Ok...this post has turned out to be longer than what I thought it would be. Oh, well, if it's too much for you to read...you're probably not a real geek...
"...it is not enough to be aware that other people may try to fool you; it is more important to be aware of your own tendency to fool yourself."

xsgtdanusmc
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby xsgtdanusmc » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:36 am

Ginger Thunder wrote:Haven't gotten through all of this yet. Would like to comment on Chads take on "real geeks" or "geek cred" being about people wanting to be better than other people or whatever.

< :soapbox: >

Blah Blah B-Blah Blah Blah

</ :soapbox: >

Ok...this post has turned out to be longer than what I thought it would be. Oh, well, if it's too much for you to read...you're probably not a real geek...

Most of the fad-chasers read the first 3 lines and were insulted or clicked away and said, "Whatever."
Dir hat man wohl ins Gehirn geschissen und vergessen umzurühren.

"I can eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and defecate a better argument."
-Unknown

The Almighty Bear
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby The Almighty Bear » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:59 am

MORE CHAD HATE! MUCH MORE! SLATHER IT UPON HIS HAIRY NAKED BODY LIKE A PUNGENT UNGEANT!

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:57 am

The Almighty Bear wrote:MORE CHAD HATE! MUCH MORE! SLATHER IT UPON HIS HAIRY NAKED BODY LIKE A PUNGENT UNGEANT!

I call this 'Thursday'.

Ginger Thunder

Postby Ginger Thunder » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:35 pm

The Almighty Bear wrote:MORE CHAD HATE! MUCH MORE! SLATHER IT UPON HIS HAIRY NAKED BODY LIKE A PUNGENT UNGEANT!

Wasn't really intended to be Chad hate, like I said, I agreed with him that for some people (perhaps many people) he's right. Was just bringing up additional reasons for the "not real geek" argument. Not everyone has the same motivations and all.

Now...that doesn't mean I don't hate Chad...

I call this 'Thursday'.

You should probably call it Tuesday. Cuz...you know...it's Tuesday...
"...it is not enough to be aware that other people may try to fool you; it is more important to be aware of your own tendency to fool yourself."

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:07 pm

I haven't heard what Chad argued about this yet, but your entire argument boils down to "I'm a better geek than you." No one is te gatekeeper of geek culture and when someone cried out "fake geek" they're being an asshole or a hipster. Geek culture isn't THAT cool. Just a few aspects.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

xsgtdanusmc
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby xsgtdanusmc » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Mikel wrote: Geek culture isn't THAT cool. Just a few aspects.

Like RPG podcasting.
Dir hat man wohl ins Gehirn geschissen und vergessen umzurühren.

"I can eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and defecate a better argument."
-Unknown

Ginger Thunder

Postby Ginger Thunder » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:21 pm

Mikel wrote:Geek culture isn't THAT cool. Just a few aspects.

LIES!! It's all cool!

Well, I guess it depends on who you ask. Although, pretty sure LARPing has never made it...despite the movies Role Models and Knights of Badassdom. Or MUDs.

Also, didn't say it was MY argument. Sure I've probably been guilty of this now and then, i ain't perfect. But just saying I think this is where some people may be coming from. I think some people may still be overly cautious due to past experiences.

But like I said, yes, I a lot of people are simply guilty of the same thing that was done to them throughout their youth.

Or they're just assholes.

The Almighty Bear
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby The Almighty Bear » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:24 pm

I wasn't on that episode, but layer on the Chad-hate anyway. It amuses me.

Return to “Kicked in the Dicebags!”