Postmodern Jukebox appreciation thread

I bet you have never heard of this...
Fridrik
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postmodern Jukebox appreciation thread

Postby Fridrik » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:10 am

I know at least few Booters are interested in Postmodern Jukebox. (Ducky, I'm looking at you).

So this thread is to discuss anything related to our favorite cover band, review single songs or artists and generally fawn :-)

Postmodern jukebox home page: http://postmodernjukebox.com/
Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCORIeT ... untEXsguLg
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/scottbradlee
Last edited by Fridrik on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fridrik
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Re: Postmodern Jukebox appreciation thread

Postby Fridrik » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:16 am

This just came out

What do people think?

Here are my two cents. It was obvious that Nirvana was bound to be covered eventually. But I can't say I like this rendition. It's not bad, it's just not good. I have a hard time figuring out why. But If I try I would say it's partially the singer not having the voice to carry such a slow rendition of this song. She's not able to create the vocal filling it needs. The other part is that the song is not that good a piece of music. It's grunge and grunge was at it's root simple music. It's hard to make something more out of a simple song, specially if you slow it down. The song was originally all bout angst and anger and the raw, fast noise. It's hard to take that and slow it down. It's lays it a bit bare and one sees there is not much there.

So am I wrong ? I might be. I had a similar opinion of PMJB rendition of Black Hole Sun first time I heard it, but that one has really grown on me. Time will have to tell about this one.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:37 pm

On a single listening I'm inclined to agree with you. It just doesn't seem to have that certain something that sets apart the really great ones. Her voice is good, very good, but I think the pace is a little too slow to allow her to really rock it.

Contrast with this one, where the line-up is almost identical:

A bit faster, and with the awesome combination of a steadily rising crescendo and Morgan James' voice. :D
"...with frikin' lasers!"

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:30 pm

Fridrik wrote:This just came out
Here are my two cents. It was obvious that Nirvana was bound to be covered eventually. But I can't say I like this rendition. It's not bad, it's just not good. I have a hard time figuring out why. But If I try I would say it's partially the singer not having the voice to carry such a slow rendition of this song. She's not able to create the vocal filling it needs. The other part is that the song is not that good a piece of music. It's grunge and grunge was at it's root simple music. It's hard to make something more out of a simple song, specially if you slow it down. The song was originally all bout angst and anger and the raw, fast noise. It's hard to take that and slow it down. It's lays it a bit bare and one sees there is not much there.

I have not listened to any of their tracks despite them having been posted so many times. So here is an opinion of a newbie.

My first reaction to this is that it needs more piano. It's arranged for a singer with a small orchestra backup. It needs to be arranged as a singer and a piano with a small orchestra backup. The piano player should have channeled his inner Elton John - the one playing a ballad like Someone Save My Life Tonight, not the one playing Crocodile Rock.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:16 am

clintmemo wrote:My first reaction to this is that it needs more piano. It's arranged for a singer with a small orchestra backup. It needs to be arranged as a singer and a piano with a small orchestra backup. The piano player should have channeled his inner Elton John - the one playing a ballad like Someone Save My Life Tonight, not the one playing Crocodile Rock.

That's interesting. Scott Bradlee, the pianist, is the main man behind PMJ, and his piano playing used to be a big part of every song they covered. It hadn't occured to me before you mentioned it, but I do think he's been dialling it back in recent months. Few of their recent songs have distinctively memorable piano parts. That's a shame, because the guy is enormously talented.

Here's an example of his playing. The song isn't one of their best, but it shows off his skill quite well.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:49 pm

I've just been listening to some of the oldies again, so I thought I'd post a couple I particularly like, featuring Ariana Savalas on vocals. Yes, she is Telly's daughter (you know, Kojak), and she does a mean jazz singer. :D

Keep an eye on that trumpet player. He looks like he's about to explode at one point. :lol:

Nice! 8-)

AnZsDad
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby AnZsDad » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:44 pm

In case any of you are PMJ fans and karaoke singers, check out the selection of PMJ songs at karaoke-version.com. My girlfriend has made sure that my karaoke company had most of their releases.

Personally, I became a fan when I heard their rendition of "Good Rest Ya Merry Gentlemen". I love that so much.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:37 pm

AnZsDad wrote:Personally, I became a fan when I heard their rendition of "Good Rest Ya Merry Gentlemen". I love that so much.

You mean this one?

Fridrik
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fridrik » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:32 am

Here is one that just came out. It's not Postmodern Jukebox but definitely an offspring. Both in terms of style and vocals artists.

I have to say I like it a lot. The song works like that.

Fridrik
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fridrik » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:34 am

This one also belong here. Not officially Postmodern Jukebox, but might as well be.

There are more good songs on Von Smiths channel with the PMJ gang.

Return to “Audio”