Eurovision...

I bet you have never heard of this...
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Eurovision...

Postby Ikoma » Fri May 17, 2019 2:55 pm

clintmemo wrote:"While still in development, the U.S. adaptation will presumably see American states compete against each other in a gradual competition over several shows, narrowing down the field all the way to the finale."

This is how the second American Civil War starts.

Another war centered in Europe hasn't broken out resulting from EuroVision. Although who knows, maybe it's coming soon? I think the restriction on not being able to vote for your own country actually forces inter-country consideration?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz

Postby Knaight » Sat May 18, 2019 5:47 am

Ikoma wrote:
clintmemo wrote:"While still in development, the U.S. adaptation will presumably see American states compete against each other in a gradual competition over several shows, narrowing down the field all the way to the finale."

Another war centered in Europe hasn't broken out resulting from EuroVision. Although who knows, maybe it's coming soon? I think the restriction on not being able to vote for your own country actually forces inter-country consideration?

There's an argument to be made that Eurovision has had some major unification and thus anti-war effects, and that it's rooted largely in it being stupid fun and not some serious thing. Getting into the credibility of that argument tends to hit actual politics pretty quickly, but it's definitely interesting.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Sat May 18, 2019 7:07 am

Ikoma wrote:

Wait...you can't vote for your own country?
Interesting.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Sat May 18, 2019 12:50 pm

Correct. Each nation gets the same number of votes. So big countries do not dominate little ones. And you cannot vote for your own country. Otherwise, you would see people voting nationalistically. You DO see countries vote in 'blocs'. i.e. Sweden tends to vote for Norway, Denmark, Finland & Iceland a lot (and vice versa). There are even big sociological studies on it. Oh, and there is a jury panel so it's not ALL a popularity contest. The way the points are awarded also tends to discourage countries from getting zero points (if I understand correctly) though it does still happen. You have to SUCK to get no points.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_at ... ng_systems

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Sat May 18, 2019 7:29 pm

Despite being an observer of the EuroVision phenomena, and watching several individual performances via YouTube and other streaming internet video options, I had never actually watched the show.... until today. My wife's new boss is a big fan (his wife is from Estonia and got him into it). They hosted a viewing party where we watched a BBC stream of the show (I have no idea how they got that). It was a lot of fun. And pretty different from anything on American TV. But I can imagine a version of that on American TV.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Sun May 19, 2019 5:18 am

Yay, we came last again! Even beaten by San Marino. :clap: :D

Actually had a half decent song this time too, but not good enough to overcome the general feelings of the majority of Europe towards us right now. Can't blame them for that.

Also, nice to see that, although the overall winner (Netherlands) scored well on both jury and people's votes, my own favourite (Norway) won the people's vote. Shame the juries didn't like it.

Here's the winner...

"...with frikin' lasers!"

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sun May 19, 2019 5:30 am

Just found this on YouTube...

Top 3 from every year since the start.

Fridrik
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fridrik » Sun May 19, 2019 9:50 am

Lord Foul wrote:Yay, we came last again! Even beaten by San Marino. :clap: :D

No, really ? Shit, that song was BAD and the singer was out of tune. That has to sting.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon May 20, 2019 10:39 am

What was up with Germany's zero points from the audience? I mean, it wasn't my favorite song by a long shot (I was pulling for Sweden) but I didn't think it was as bad as the horrific San Marino song (and it was bad). Also, any ideas why Sweden got so few votes, particularly compared to Norway? I mean, I did love Norway's song too, I just kind of expected both countries to be in the same ball park when it came to audience votes and was very surprised.

EDIT: Also, you gotta respect Iceland's "Frak EuroVision" attitude. Their performance was a real shot of adrenaline.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Mon May 20, 2019 2:29 pm

Ikoma wrote:What was up with Germany's zero points from the audience? I mean, it wasn't my favorite song by a long shot (I was pulling for Sweden) but I didn't think it was as bad as the horrific San Marino song (and it was bad). Also, any ideas why Sweden got so few votes, particularly compared to Norway? I mean, I did love Norway's song too, I just kind of expected both countries to be in the same ball park when it came to audience votes and was very surprised.

Yes, I noticed that too. UK got 3 points from the audience, Germany nil points! Maybe they're even less popular in Europe than we are. :D

The audience vote is a fickle thing, though, and they often reward the unusual acts if they stand out. Iceland did very well from the audience, as did Norway and even, relatively speaking, San Marino. I guess Sweden's act was just a little too smug and polished for its own good.

Return to “Audio”