Podcasts you enjoy

I bet you have never heard of this...
Fridrik
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Re: Podcasts you enjoy

Postby Fridrik » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:36 am

I've been enjoying The Mixed Six
http://www.themixedsix.com/

They are sort of an offshoot of RPPR. But are a chat show that takes talks about six interesting subjects while reviewing six beers. They go into board games a bit but no RPG material so far.

I quite like them.

Hyperion
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Hyperion » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:17 am

Fear the Boot
Secret World Chronicles
Models Workshop After Hours
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
Prairie Home Companion

We're Alive (when they post a new story)

I used to listen to Welcome to Nightvale, but quit when it felt like you HAD to have the book and be able to attend the live events or you were no longer the intended audience.

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:17 pm

Found a couple of new (to me) podcasts I like looking for something to do on a 4 hour bus trip:

Wizard and the Bruiser. Nerd History with some people from Dorkly.com.

Axe of the Blood God. Honestly just a couple of nerds talking about (video game) RPGs.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

AnZsDad
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby AnZsDad » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:11 pm

After what seems like MANY years, I am finally catching up on my podcast episodes. Part of the problem is that I am a completist (some might call it "obsessive") so if I'm listening to a show I must start as far back as they will let me. People know I enjoy podcasts so they will share them with me whenever they come across them. (My girlfriend is really bad for this, especially when she complains about me listening to them and trying to explain things I find fascinating.)

That being said, here is my current list:

• Fear The Boot - Not sure if you'll have heard of this one; something, something, roleplaying games, something
  • Lexicon Valley - a podcast about language
  • You Are Not So Smart - psychology, logic, fallacies, and what you think you know (but don't)
  • Planet Money - NPR show about finance and economics; US-focused, but there's a lot of world economics here
  • The Allusionist - another one about words and language
  • Girl On Guy - Aisha Tyler's interview show; sadly, it's currently on hiatus
  • Hollywood Babble-On - Kevin Smith's weekly live comedy entertainment news with Ralph Garman
  • SmodCast - Kevin Smith's original show, a conversation with his friend Scott Mosier
  • Science...Sort Of - focused on science-related items, ranging from biology to physics, from psychology to paleontology
  • Unattended Consequences - conversations between author Patrick Rothfuss and Cards Against Humanity designer Max Temkin
  • Invisibilia - NPR show about "the invisible forces that control human behaviour"
  • 99% Invisible - a show about design and inspiration
  • The Infinite Monkey Cage - BBC panel show about science, with expert panelists in whichever subject they are presenting
  • Good Job Brain - a show about trivia, with different themes each show
  • Wait Wait Don't Tell Me - an NPR comedy panel trivia show
  • The Mystery Show - sadly, this show was cancelled by the network after only 6 episodes, but those 6 episodes are great
  • The Memory Palace - interesting stories about all sorts of historical people and events
  • The Way I Heard It - more interesting stories about historical people and events
  • Where Should We Begin - frank interviews about relationships and couple's sex lives; this one doesn't publicly release until October
  • Shut Up & Sit Down - board games, card games, and other tabletop silliness; focused on reviews
  • Levar Burton Reads
- actor Levar Burton reads short stories; well-produced with sound effects and music

Believe it or not, I have actually deleted a few shows from my stream (but not many). I hope someone finds something they love out of this list!
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

McNutcase
Wants to try and hold a conversation in Pretty

Postby McNutcase » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:09 pm

Recently I've been enjoying Sawbones, which is a doctor and her husband talking about some of the horrible misconceptions we've had as a species about medicine. Everything from why not to drill a hole in your head, to why cornflakes are so horrendously boring.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

clintmemo
Curses, foiled again by multiple tabs

Postby clintmemo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:21 pm

I especially enjoyed episode 153 of The Established Facts

2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

clintmemo
Curses, foiled again by multiple tabs

Postby clintmemo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:17 pm

I've been listening to a podcast called The Polybius Conspiracy. It has a structure that I think I am going to try to steal for a game someday. It presents a mystery that sounds conspiratorial and evil. But as they investigate, it changes into something that is probably a completely mundane combination of fear, dishonesty, and misunderstandings of actual facts. Then at the end of the episode, they drop a new discovery that tosses you mentally right back to the beginning. You can almost hear the record scratch sound when they bring up this last discovery.
In the next episode, they examine how this new discovery fits into the puzzle and go where it leads them. This slowly leads you mentally down the path from conspiracy theory back to mundane explanation. Just when you think every thing is almost certainly mundane, they toss in a new discovery (record scratch!), leave you wondering what the heck is going on and end the episode.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:46 am

Last year I found the Comic Shenanigans Podcast. Most of his content is interviews with people in the comic book industry.

He also does reviews on comics, movies, and a couple random topics. The interviews are what i listen to mostly.

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:15 pm

Started listening to The Trail Went Cold, a true crime cold case podcast. He lays out the facts then posits several theories. Enjoying it so far, though he does seem to have a love affair with the old unsolved mysteries TV show and tends to sing its praises a bit much in the first few episodes.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:39 pm

Lingthusiasm. "A podcast that's enthusiastic about Linguistics." Does a good job of explaining concepts in an entertaining and informative way. The hosts are both researchers with longstanding interest in popularization and outreach, and they have a nice easy conversational presentation style.
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Return to “Audio”