Podcasts you enjoy

I bet you have never heard of this...
thark
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Re: Podcasts you enjoy

Postby thark » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:05 pm

For lack of a better thread: I only regularly listen to two rpg podcasts any more, and the other one is Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff. They end each episode by listing off a random selection of patreon backers. Just listened to last week's episode (194), and one of the backers mentioned is ... Fear the Boot.

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:19 am

Malcolm Gladwell has an interesting podcast called Revisionist History that investigates interesting social phenomena.

Example: Why did Wilt Chamberlain reject a technique that would have made him unquestionably the best complete player ever?
http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/ ... ant-shoot/
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

clintmemo
Curses, foiled again by multiple tabs

Postby clintmemo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:07 pm

Gyro LC wrote:Malcolm Gladwell has an interesting podcast called Revisionist History that investigates interesting social phenomena.

Example: Why did Wilt Chamberlain reject a technique that would have made him unquestionably the best complete player ever?

In his day, he was the best player ever.
Some say he still is.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:19 pm

clintmemo wrote:
Gyro LC wrote:Malcolm Gladwell has an interesting podcast called Revisionist History that investigates interesting social phenomena.

Some say he still is.

True, but he specifically rejected a technique that he proved fixed his worst flaw - his absolutely terrible free throw shooting. Wilt shooting 40% from the line was a god, imagine him shooting 80%.

Terrible free throw shooters are a huge liability at the end of a game (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hack-a-Shaq). Yet star players that franchises are built on won't use a proven technique to improve their awful free throw percentage.
Hungry freaks, daddy!

clintmemo
Curses, foiled again by multiple tabs

Postby clintmemo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:37 pm

Gyro LC wrote:
clintmemo wrote:

Some say he still is.

True, but he specifically rejected a technique that he proved fixed his worst flaw - his absolutely terrible free throw shooting. Wilt shooting 40% from the line was a god, imagine him shooting 80%.

Sure, but in his mind, he might have wondered why he needed to improve anything when he was already the best there ever was.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:37 pm

clintmemo wrote:
Gyro LC wrote:
clintmemo wrote:

Some say he still is.

Sure, but in his mind, he might have wondered why he needed to improve anything when he was already the best there ever was.

The Wilt free throw thing is just the main example of a larger question: why do people reject unconventional tactics that are proven to improve performance?

Wilt's reason is very simple: he doesn't want to be called a "sissy" for shooting free throws underhand. He'd rather be laughed at for sucking than be laughed at for shooting underhand.

Shaq said he would rather shoot 0% than shoot underhand.
Hungry freaks, daddy!

BottledViolence
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby BottledViolence » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:04 pm

Gyro LC wrote:The Wilt free throw thing is just the main example of a larger question: why do people reject unconventional tactics that are proven to improve performance?

Wilt's reason is very simple: he doesn't want to be called a "sissy" for shooting free throws underhand. He'd rather be laughed at for sucking than be laughed at for shooting underhand.

Shaq said he would rather shoot 0% than shoot underhand.

Seems reasonable. :lol:

When you're as good as Wilt, you can get away with it, still be amazing, and not be known as the guy who shoots free throws granny style. Never underestimate the importance of a legacy.

Considering the importance of endorsements and considerations about after sports careers, it seems like it might be smarter to live with your 40% and keep making huge bank. :thumbup:

But I'm going to listen to the podcast now and see what they have to say. :lol:

Bobicus
'something' per Dan's request

Postby Bobicus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:54 pm

Chris wrote:Perhaps it's been mentioned, but Campaign, a Star Wars Actual Play podcast is VERY good. It is a little frustrating in regards to the pace of the story, but the players are very funny and entertaining, I'm more than willing to put up with it.

Campaign is very good, but I wish it was released more regularly. FtB has spoiled me for podcasts being regularly released on time, I guess. :think:
Devoted father, strategy gamer, and mechanical engineer.

Chris
Host

Postby Chris » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:16 am

Bobicus wrote:
Chris wrote:Perhaps it's been mentioned, but Campaign, a Star Wars Actual Play podcast is VERY good. It is a little frustrating in regards to the pace of the story, but the players are very funny and entertaining, I'm more than willing to put up with it.

Campaign is very good, but I wish it was released more regularly. FtB has spoiled me for podcasts being regularly released on time, I guess. :think:

Yeah, there was a gulf for a time, but it seems to have corrected itself a bit. Kat had some health issues that slowed things
Gamers Behaving Badly - Doing it wrong, so you don't have to

martian_god
Chad is a Contrarian

Postby martian_god » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:36 am

Huge fan of The Greatest Generation, a podcast about Star Trek: TNG. They watch every episode and do commentary. Listen from the beginning and watch along, I promise it's worth your time.
--------

Madness takes its toll.
Speedpass accepted.

Return to “Audio”