Podcasts you enjoy

I bet you have never heard of this...
User avatar
thark
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:14 am
Location: Linkoping, Sweden

Re: Podcasts you enjoy

Postby thark » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:05 pm

For lack of a better thread: I only regularly listen to two rpg podcasts any more, and the other one is Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff. They end each episode by listing off a random selection of patreon backers. Just listened to last week's episode (194), and one of the backers mentioned is ... Fear the Boot.

User avatar
Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer
Posts: 3033
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Arvada, CO

Re: Podcasts you enjoy

Postby Gyro LC » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:19 am

Malcolm Gladwell has an interesting podcast called Revisionist History that investigates interesting social phenomena.

Example: Why did Wilt Chamberlain reject a technique that would have made him unquestionably the best complete player ever?
http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/ ... ant-shoot/
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

User avatar
clintmemo
Curses, foiled again by multiple tabs
Posts: 21930
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:38 am
Location: Louisville KY
Contact:

Re: Podcasts you enjoy

Postby clintmemo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:07 pm

Gyro LC wrote:Malcolm Gladwell has an interesting podcast called Revisionist History that investigates interesting social phenomena.

Example: Why did Wilt Chamberlain reject a technique that would have made him unquestionably the best complete player ever?
http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/ ... ant-shoot/


In his day, he was the best player ever.
Some say he still is.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

User avatar
Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer
Posts: 3033
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Arvada, CO

Re: Podcasts you enjoy

Postby Gyro LC » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:19 pm

clintmemo wrote:
Gyro LC wrote:Malcolm Gladwell has an interesting podcast called Revisionist History that investigates interesting social phenomena.

Example: Why did Wilt Chamberlain reject a technique that would have made him unquestionably the best complete player ever?
http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/ ... ant-shoot/


In his day, he was the best player ever.
Some say he still is.


True, but he specifically rejected a technique that he proved fixed his worst flaw - his absolutely terrible free throw shooting. Wilt shooting 40% from the line was a god, imagine him shooting 80%.

Terrible free throw shooters are a huge liability at the end of a game (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hack-a-Shaq). Yet star players that franchises are built on won't use a proven technique to improve their awful free throw percentage.
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

User avatar
clintmemo
Curses, foiled again by multiple tabs
Posts: 21930
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:38 am
Location: Louisville KY
Contact:

Re: Podcasts you enjoy

Postby clintmemo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:37 pm

Gyro LC wrote:
clintmemo wrote:
Gyro LC wrote:Malcolm Gladwell has an interesting podcast called Revisionist History that investigates interesting social phenomena.

Example: Why did Wilt Chamberlain reject a technique that would have made him unquestionably the best complete player ever?
http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/ ... ant-shoot/


In his day, he was the best player ever.
Some say he still is.


True, but he specifically rejected a technique that he proved fixed his worst flaw - his absolutely terrible free throw shooting. Wilt shooting 40% from the line was a god, imagine him shooting 80%.


Sure, but in his mind, he might have wondered why he needed to improve anything when he was already the best there ever was.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

User avatar
Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer
Posts: 3033
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Arvada, CO

Re: Podcasts you enjoy

Postby Gyro LC » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:37 pm

clintmemo wrote:
Gyro LC wrote:
clintmemo wrote:
Gyro LC wrote:Malcolm Gladwell has an interesting podcast called Revisionist History that investigates interesting social phenomena.

Example: Why did Wilt Chamberlain reject a technique that would have made him unquestionably the best complete player ever?
http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/ ... ant-shoot/


In his day, he was the best player ever.
Some say he still is.


True, but he specifically rejected a technique that he proved fixed his worst flaw - his absolutely terrible free throw shooting. Wilt shooting 40% from the line was a god, imagine him shooting 80%.


Sure, but in his mind, he might have wondered why he needed to improve anything when he was already the best there ever was.


The Wilt free throw thing is just the main example of a larger question: why do people reject unconventional tactics that are proven to improve performance?

Wilt's reason is very simple: he doesn't want to be called a "sissy" for shooting free throws underhand. He'd rather be laughed at for sucking than be laughed at for shooting underhand.

Shaq said he would rather shoot 0% than shoot underhand.
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

User avatar
BottledViolence
Holder of FtB's One Opinion
Posts: 11179
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:37 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: Podcasts you enjoy

Postby BottledViolence » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:04 pm

Gyro LC wrote:The Wilt free throw thing is just the main example of a larger question: why do people reject unconventional tactics that are proven to improve performance?

Wilt's reason is very simple: he doesn't want to be called a "sissy" for shooting free throws underhand. He'd rather be laughed at for sucking than be laughed at for shooting underhand.

Shaq said he would rather shoot 0% than shoot underhand.


Seems reasonable. :lol:

When you're as good as Wilt, you can get away with it, still be amazing, and not be known as the guy who shoots free throws granny style. Never underestimate the importance of a legacy.

Considering the importance of endorsements and considerations about after sports careers, it seems like it might be smarter to live with your 40% and keep making huge bank. :thumbup:

But I'm going to listen to the podcast now and see what they have to say. :lol:

User avatar
Bobicus
'something' per Dan's request
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Podcasts you enjoy

Postby Bobicus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:54 pm

Chris wrote:Perhaps it's been mentioned, but Campaign, a Star Wars Actual Play podcast is VERY good. It is a little frustrating in regards to the pace of the story, but the players are very funny and entertaining, I'm more than willing to put up with it.

Campaign is very good, but I wish it was released more regularly. FtB has spoiled me for podcasts being regularly released on time, I guess. :think:
Devoted father, strategy gamer, and mechanical engineer.

User avatar
Chris
Host
Posts: 13238
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:23 am

Re: Podcasts you enjoy

Postby Chris » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:16 am

Bobicus wrote:
Chris wrote:Perhaps it's been mentioned, but Campaign, a Star Wars Actual Play podcast is VERY good. It is a little frustrating in regards to the pace of the story, but the players are very funny and entertaining, I'm more than willing to put up with it.

Campaign is very good, but I wish it was released more regularly. FtB has spoiled me for podcasts being regularly released on time, I guess. :think:


Yeah, there was a gulf for a time, but it seems to have corrected itself a bit. Kat had some health issues that slowed things
Gamers Behaving Badly - Doing it wrong, so you don't have to

User avatar
martian_god
Chad is a Contrarian
Posts: 1035
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Podcasts you enjoy

Postby martian_god » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:36 am

Huge fan of The Greatest Generation, a podcast about Star Trek: TNG. They watch every episode and do commentary. Listen from the beginning and watch along, I promise it's worth your time.
--------

Madness takes its toll.
Speedpass accepted.


Return to “Audio”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest