Podcasts you enjoy

I bet you have never heard of this...
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: Podcasts you enjoy

Postby tombombodil » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:23 am

clintmemo wrote:Is there such a thing as "History really does repeat itself - the podcast" ?

We often hear the phrase "People who don't study history are doomed to repeat it." It seems like that would be perfect podcast material.
"<This Thing That is Happening> is just like <That Thing That Happened> way back in the year xxxx."
Find a topic, show how it is similar to a past event, then show what happened after said past event. Obviously, there's no way you could avoid politics and such and you would be have to be careful to explain how the current event is different from the past event and what that could mean, but ti seems like that would make a great podcast.

I've heard it put that "History doesn't usually repeat itself, but it often rhymes", which is a little wanky, but it's spot on and I agree that would be an excellent podcast.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Timespike
Crossed the River

Postby Timespike » Sun May 08, 2016 10:43 pm

clintmemo wrote:Is there such a thing as "History really does repeat itself - the podcast" ?

We often hear the phrase "People who don't study history are doomed to repeat it." It seems like that would be perfect podcast material.
"<This Thing That is Happening> is just like <That Thing That Happened> way back in the year xxxx."
Find a topic, show how it is similar to a past event, then show what happened after said past event. Obviously, there's no way you could avoid politics and such and you would be have to be careful to explain how the current event is different from the past event and what that could mean, but ti seems like that would make a great podcast.

The closest I can think of to that is Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, which is an AMAZING podcast.

Fridrik
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fridrik » Mon May 09, 2016 2:29 am

Timespike wrote:

The closest I can think of to that is Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, which is an AMAZING podcast.

Shurly you mean audiobook. Because those suckers are huge. But good, so good.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Mon May 09, 2016 4:40 am

:thumbup:
I will check that out.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Mon May 09, 2016 6:41 am

Hardcore History is so damn good. The Wrath of the Khans is a great one but it's huge. I would recommend Prophets of Doom for a good stand alone to start with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Timespike
Crossed the River

Postby Timespike » Mon May 09, 2016 6:14 pm

Blueprint for Armageddon is also phenomenal, and it's free right now (as is Prophets of Doom).

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Mon May 16, 2016 2:55 pm

A curse on all of your houses!

I have been binge-listening to "Blueprint for Armageddon" since the middle of last week. I'm almost done with episode 4 - so that's like 17 hours so far.

I'm already not keeping up with my podcast list. I don't have time for all this goodness!

Seriously - this show is amazingly good.

Thanks for the recommendation!
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Mon May 16, 2016 2:58 pm

Thankfully, it only comes out once every 3-4 months. But there's a lot of it. Wrath of the Khans is fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Fri May 20, 2016 8:48 pm

I got a radio in my car that can read off of USB again, so I'm actually listening to some Podcasts again.

Right now I'm working my way through Drunks and Dragons, an actual play podcast by a bunch of folks who didn't really have any RPG experience before starting the podcast (but I still find it funny and fun), and Pseudopod, a horror anthology podcast a few other people have mentioned in this thread I think.

Maybe if/when I actually get caught up with those I'll actually go back to listening to 'Fear the Boot'? IDK if anyone's ever heard of that one, but I stopped listening to it around the time FtC3 happened for some reason. (I know I'm terrible)
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Fri May 27, 2016 7:53 am

the Restoring History podcast is about a guy who has been working on restoring old comic books since the mid 90s.

He started out working for marvel on the masterworks series and then started his own company that does the same thing. I've only listened to one episode so far. It has been a year since he put anything out and the later episodes are really short. So i guess he podfaded.

He goes into detail about how a comic is restored digitally when all you have is the first printing of a book instead of the original art. I've been reading a decent amount of old comics so this was really interesting to me.

Return to “Audio”