Can't reach Fear the Boot with my phone

A place to make suggestions about the show, the forums or anything else under the Fear the Boot banner. Constructive criticism welcome!
Forum rules
This is a place to make suggestions about the show, the forums or anything else under the Fear the Boot banner.

Do not post problems with individual forum users, please take that up with the Admin Team via PM.

Keep comments on individual episodes in the episode thread.

Constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged as are questions you would like the Admin Team or Hosts to answer.
Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Re: Can't reach Fear the Boot with my phone

Postby Gyro LC » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:03 pm

Dan posted an update on Facebook that one of the databases that runs the forums and main site is suddenly taking forever to do anything which is causing the slowness. He's working on it but many times troubleshooting server/database issues requires taking them offline.
Last edited by Gyro LC on Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

Lord Foul
Kangaroo, Buffalo, and Chris, OH MY!

Postby Lord Foul » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:07 pm

Good to know Dan's on the case. Thanks. :thumbup:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:58 pm

The latest change unfucked gPodder, so there's that. Now to figure out how to put in a feature request to the gPodder devs, because SSL everywhere is going to happen eventually...
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:45 am

McNutcase wrote:The latest change unfucked gPodder, so there's that. Now to figure out how to put in a feature request to the gPodder devs, because SSL everywhere is going to happen eventually...

This.

If you are using something to pull down podcasts that does not work with SSL I suggest that everyone do what McNutcase is doing and write a note to the devs. SSL everywhere is coming.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:57 am

Chad wrote:
McNutcase wrote:The latest change unfucked gPodder, so there's that. Now to figure out how to put in a feature request to the gPodder devs, because SSL everywhere is going to happen eventually...

This.

If you are using something to pull down podcasts that does not work with SSL I suggest that everyone do what McNutcase is doing and write a note to the devs. SSL everywhere is coming.

I have no idea what you just said, but it sounds important. Any chance of an English translation? :eh:

NGnear
BABUSHKA!

Postby NGnear » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:16 pm

Huh. I wonder if that's why Podget just grabbed 40+ back episodes of FtB that I had downloaded previously...

FireVisor
BABUSHKA!

Postby FireVisor » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:39 pm

Well...

...at any rate, it works for me now... So thanks guys!w

clintmemo
Curses, foiled again by multiple tabs

Postby clintmemo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:41 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Chad wrote:

This.

I have no idea what you just said, but it sounds important. Any chance of an English translation? :eh:

Networking is outside my wheelhouse, but IIRC, ssl stands for "secured socket layer." Basically what it means is that you have an encrypted connection to whatever you are connected to. Only your browser and whatever webserver you are connected to can actually read the information that is going back and forth. SSL has been the standard for any page that gets financial information (like your credit card number) for a really long time. The only reason that all of the Internet was not all encrypted was purely because of computing power. It takes cpu power to encrypt and decrypt everything, but computing power has become so cheap that it isn't really an issue any more. By the way, if you ever look at the address bar in your browser and see that it starts with https, then it is encrypted. An unencrypted site starts with http.

Google is pushing everything towards encryption for security reasons.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:19 pm

Thanks. So... it's a good thing. :eh:

clintmemo
Curses, foiled again by multiple tabs