Tapatalk

A place to make suggestions about the show, the forums or anything else under the Fear the Boot banner. Constructive criticism welcome!
Forum rules
This is a place to make suggestions about the show, the forums or anything else under the Fear the Boot banner.

Do not post problems with individual forum users, please take that up with the Admin Team via PM.

Keep comments on individual episodes in the episode thread.

Constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged as are questions you would like the Admin Team or Hosts to answer.
Dan
Host

Re: Tapatalk

Postby Dan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:44 pm

I did some digging around, and here's what I found.

1. Posting and browsing seem to work fine on Android. I installed it on my own phone just to confirm.

2. Apparently one of the updates to the client app (not the mod on our end) has introduced a bug that causes the crash when posting. Until they patch it, the only fix is to downgrade versions, presuming you have any way of doing so. Example of someone talking about said bug (and, of course, finding some way to involve politics in it) here...

http://www.rdforum.org/showthread.php?t=40985

3. What Johann said is correct. Tapatalk is currently focusing their development on PHPBB 3.1, which is good news for us. But as of right now, the mod on our end does not include a feature for PMs.

https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/no ... ges.27212/

https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/ta ... #copyright

On that last one, look for the post that includes the phrase, "Features that have yet to be implemented but are incoming for future releases..."

4. Tapatalk is terming anyone using PHPBB 3.1 as "early adopters". Go fig on that. Either way, it looks like we're stuck waiting on them for both the client app and server mod.

5. In the meantime, as Maniah said, the PHPBB 3.1 templates are much more mobile-browser friendly, so you might want to give that a try.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:09 am

Dan wrote:
5. In the meantime, as Maniah said, the PHPBB 3.1 templates are much more mobile-browser friendly, so you might want to give that a try.

I'm wondering if responsive web design is going to start supplanting all of these apps as webpage replacements that are out there?

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:23 am

Chad wrote:
Dan wrote:

I'm wondering if responsive web design is going to start supplanting all of these apps as webpage replacements that are out there?

Yes - especially as the screen size of the average phone continues to increase. Making a mobile friendly version of your site is a whole lot easier than writing and supporting a separate app for each type of phone.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:21 pm

They just released a new version of the Tapatalk plugin that's supposed to offer full support of PHPBB 3.1. So if that's your preferred way of browsing here, check it out and let me know if anything has gotten better.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

Zanian0
King of the Universe (and Star Trek failure)

Postby Zanian0 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:47 pm

Dan wrote:They just released a new version of the Tapatalk plugin that's supposed to offer full support of PHPBB 3.1. So if that's your preferred way of browsing here, check it out and let me know if anything has gotten better.

As a non-Tapatalk user going to this site via mobile, it's being a pain. First I had to click through a entry page saying I didn't want Tapatalk. Then I had to fight to close the "Try Tapatalk" banner taking up about a fifth of the screen. It has a small x to close and it took several tries to close it.

Once I got through those it seems to be gone permanently. It might be nice for future visitors to see if you can disable those. I can post pics of it from my tablet if needed.
"Something something something, Canada..."

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:49 pm

Zanian0 wrote:
Dan wrote:They just released a new version of the Tapatalk plugin that's supposed to offer full support of PHPBB 3.1. So if that's your preferred way of browsing here, check it out and let me know if anything has gotten better.

As a non-Tapatalk user going to this site via mobile, it's being a pain. First I had to click through a entry page saying I didn't want Tapatalk. Then I had to fight to close the "Try Tapatalk" banner taking up about a fifth of the screen. It has a small x to close and it took several tries to close it.

Once I got through those it seems to be gone permanently. It might be nice for future visitors to see if you can disable those. I can post pics of it from my tablet if needed.

Is that where that ad came from? I thought it was just Google being google.

Zanian0
King of the Universe (and Star Trek failure)

Postby Zanian0 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:07 pm

When you load the forum page:
https://i.imgur.com/Balr6d2.png

The banner ad afterwards:
https://i.imgur.com/Ow0HGrj.png

It takes up much more room on my cellphone, but I can't get it back on there, thankfully.
"Something something something, Canada..."

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:41 am

Here is a screenshot from my phone

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:25 am

I only got the Tapatalk banner the first visit. I'm currently waffling as to which gives the better experience.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:33 am

keithcurtis wrote:I only got the Tapatalk banner the first visit. I'm currently waffling as to which gives the better experience.

The only problem I have with using the browser is that the icon to take me to unread posts is too tiny for my big fat fingers.

Return to “Suggestion Box”