Episode Topic Suggestions

A place to make suggestions about the show, the forums or anything else under the Fear the Boot banner. Constructive criticism welcome!
Forum rules
This is a place to make suggestions about the show, the forums or anything else under the Fear the Boot banner.

Do not post problems with individual forum users, please take that up with the Admin Team via PM.

Keep comments on individual episodes in the episode thread.

Constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged as are questions you would like the Admin Team or Hosts to answer.
MatthewGL
Bofa

Re: Episode Topic Suggestions

Postby MatthewGL » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:26 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:
MatthewGL wrote:I often write my own game systems, and im very interested in hearing about the hosts favorite, least favorite, and most unique dicthand game mechanics they have seen while exploring the hobby. For instance, Mouse Guard has an encumbrance system where you draw the items on your character on the sheet. Iron Kingdoms is an entire RPG based on 2d6, which is a nice change from d20 or 2d10.

dicthand?

:oops: dice and*

Non-dice related things are neat too, like tokens for rerolls and such.

ericbright2002
Spambot?

Postby ericbright2002 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:56 pm

First time posting on the forums, so let me begin by saying how much I love the show. You guys do such a wonderful job!

I have two ideas for show topics I would love to hear you discuss.

1) Jeff Barber is in the process of finishing up a new RPG called Upwind that was successfully Kickstarted which utilizes a unique conflict or encounter resolution system he calls the Q system. Each player has a hand of cards from a standard deck where the suits represent your various skills and abilities. Choosing the cards to play allows more player control and less dice craziness while the basic nature of the skills allows epic level play right from the start instead of fighting rats in the cellar for five levels. I would love to hear your take on his system and/or do an interview with him. Your interview with Jim McClure was so hilarious, I'd love to listen to another interview with an author of such a unique system as Upwind. You can get the Upwind Primer on DriveThru for free to judge the value of my suggestion.

2. I just heard a podcast about games within games, basically mini-games within an RPG to flesh out, add tension to, or better narrate what are typically just a roll of the dice. (Think lock picking, solving a puzzle via an intelligence roll, or negotiating via diplomacy rolls.) Do you think mini-games could work better than the "make three successes before two failures" mechanic in the standard RPG game?

Thanks again for your contributions to the industry, and hopefully I can make it to at least Saturday of Fear the Con!

Azhrei Vep
Player Possessed NPC

Postby Azhrei Vep » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:13 am

I am fully in support of these particular topics.

Note for the future: It's a spambot dropping pics of hot chicks.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Arenblade
BABUSHKA!

Postby Arenblade » Wed May 10, 2017 1:27 pm

Hello, I'm Arenblade (On warframe)
I hope everyone is doing well and of course I love the podcast!
So two suggestions.

1. So, this past summer I ran a home-brew TTRPG for 6-8 year olds at a summer camp and it was a success.
I think it would be awesome to have a discussion on table top games / or home-brew games for children to introduce them into the hobby.

2. I have a friend who is making his own TTRPG and I know there are tons of videos on youtube about this, but I think it would be cool to have a format that players could use to do this. I created my own and want to know what you guys think!

How to Create a Table Top RPG Step By Step

1. Know your audience. The better you know your audience the more you can cater your world/game towards them. If you are making a game for yourself then be open-minded with regards of making changes when you do find a group to play it.
a. What does the group like?
i. rules VS story
ii. combat VS everything else
iii. number crunch VS speed
iv. Morality?
b. Everything you create will come from the needs and wants of the players.
c. The goal of the story is to guide your players (the protagonists in any game) in such a way where they are
able to accomplish meaningful goals and get what they want. What they want may be different on a player-
to-player basis. The person running the game should know what each individual player’s goals are.
2. Create a base outline of a story
a. Start with a villain. You already know who the good guys are: The players (whether they act good or not). So
now it is time to fill in who their main opponent is.
i. What kind of villain?
1. Intelligence level
2. Strengths & Weaknesses
3. Physical vs Magical
4. Goals. If they got their way, what would the world be like?
ii. Climax of the Story
3. World Building: What is the setting of the world? Now that you have a villain, build a world where the villain
and players would thrive in.
i. Time period
ii. How realistic / unrealistic is it? Magic heavy vs Magic light
iii. What creatures exist?
iv. Create a map where creatures could actually survive. Where do they live?
v. Are there any quirks with the world?
1. Monsters come out at night etc
4. Creating the game mechanics
a. Take the answers from part 1 and build the game mechanics to accommodate the player’s answers.
i. If players are combat heavy then the abilities of the characters should be mostly combat oriented.

Triggerhappy938
NZB Leftenant

Postby Triggerhappy938 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:24 am

(probably negative) Episode Suggestion: The Jolly Rancher Story
avocationalacademics.wordpress.com
Dan wrote:John Wells will probably kill you

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:45 am

Triggerhappy938 wrote:(probably negative) Episode Suggestion: The Jolly Rancher Story

NO!!!!!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

NO!!!!

Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:15 am

Wayne wrote:
Triggerhappy938 wrote:(probably negative) Episode Suggestion: The Jolly Rancher Story

NO!!!!!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

NO!!!!

I told you not to read it. :lol:

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:21 am

Does this story involve cinnamon Jolly Ranchers and mucus membranes?
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Gyro LC wrote:Does this story involve cinnamon Jolly Ranchers and mucus membranes?

I only wish it did. :puke:

Triggerhappy938
NZB Leftenant

Postby Triggerhappy938 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:30 am

You do realize this is just building the legend, right?
avocationalacademics.wordpress.com
Dan wrote:John Wells will probably kill you

Return to “Suggestion Box”