Episode Topic Suggestions

A place to make suggestions about the show, the forums or anything else under the Fear the Boot banner. Constructive criticism welcome!
Forum rules
This is a place to make suggestions about the show, the forums or anything else under the Fear the Boot banner.

Do not post problems with individual forum users, please take that up with the Admin Team via PM.

Keep comments on individual episodes in the episode thread.

Constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged as are questions you would like the Admin Team or Hosts to answer.
Wendell_Burke
BABUSHKA!
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:27 pm

Re: Episode Topic Suggestions

Postby Wendell_Burke » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:36 pm

I would really like to hear more podcasts on developing good communication skills, as this is really the root of every problem I've ever had or seen in tabletop role playing games.

Players being honest about their real motivations for joining games and making their characters.

How best to describe your preferred playstyle as to communicate as much as possible in as concise manner as possible. There's so much to describing what you do and don't want in a game, it would help if there were more of a common shorthand or a list of the categories of important factors. It's easy to forget them when you actually find a game and this could spare a lot of us lots of wasted time and energy.

Thanks!

User avatar
Triggerhappy938
NZB Leftenant
Posts: 3857
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:44 am
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Contact:

Re: Episode Topic Suggestions

Postby Triggerhappy938 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:23 am

Revisit the game design series! I can see no way in which this could go poorly!
avocationalacademics.wordpress.com
Dan wrote:John Wells will probably kill you

Z Knight
Bofa
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Episode Topic Suggestions

Postby Z Knight » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:04 pm

Just registered and have been listening to your Podcast almost 2 years.

I haven't listened to every episode yet but please forgive me if you had already covered this topic. But i think a brief background on each member of Fear the Boot who I'm listening too would be interesting. Focusing on the friendships between each other and connections how the show came to be through role playing or not. I know this wouldn't fill an entire show but i have a few friends who listen and ask me questions about the show which i know nothing about.

Secondly i listen to a hand full of RPG podcast while i work, along with some sports, politics and crime podcast. Its apparent there is a trend of older crowd of gamers (like myself almost 50) who have dove into this field of entertainment across the world and have failed lack of listeners, while much of the younger crowd of RPG seem to enjoy recording their own actual role playing sessions, which is slow and unedited really boring and it will fail. Nonetheless since your all in the podcast arena would you be willing to dedicate some time to the pod-casting world some entertaining shows that your team enjoys, RPG or some other topic show. I have no show to push and I'm not interested in running any either but have been a fan of pod-casting.

Thanks Fear the Boot.

My other favorites are...Radiolab, StarTalk Radio, Sword and Scale, The Nosleep Podcast, Lore. Ill leave my gaming podcast untold as i really like to support new gaming podcast.

User avatar
Magmoo
Couponing Champion
Posts: 5541
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:33 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Episode Topic Suggestions

Postby Magmoo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:41 am

Would the hosts like to explore that fine line between taking an incredible risk to potentially create an epic moment vs. just being stupid and ridiculous?
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

User avatar
Wayne
Host
Posts: 8109
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Episode Topic Suggestions

Postby Wayne » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:57 am

Z Knight wrote:Secondly i listen to a hand full of RPG podcast while i work, along with some sports, politics and crime podcast. Its apparent there is a trend of older crowd of gamers (like myself almost 50) who have dove into this field of entertainment across the world and have failed lack of listeners, while much of the younger crowd of RPG seem to enjoy recording their own actual role playing sessions, which is slow and unedited really boring and it will fail. Nonetheless since your all in the podcast arena would you be willing to dedicate some time to the pod-casting world some entertaining shows that your team enjoys, RPG or some other topic show. I have no show to push and I'm not interested in running any either but have been a fan of pod-casting.

Thanks Fear the Boot.

My other favorites are...Radiolab, StarTalk Radio, Sword and Scale, The Nosleep Podcast, Lore. Ill leave my gaming podcast untold as i really like to support new gaming podcast.


Most of the hosts don't listen to podcasts. I believe Chris does and Dan may listen to something occasionally. I am an avid listener of podcasts and audiobooks. I listen at the gym, in the car, while shopping, and sometimes at work.

My favorite podcasts are:
Anime Addicts Anonymous- Needless to say this is an Anime Podcast
From Crisis To Crisis- A superman podcast reviewing all things superman during the era between Crisis on Infinite Earths and Infinite Crisis.
Ditch Diggers- Writing podcast
The Dunesteef- Audio fiction podcast
Escape Pod- Audio fiction podcast
Hollywood Babble-On- Kevin Smith and Ralph Garman talk hollywood
Happy Jacks RPG Podcast
I should be writing
Knights of the Night Actual Play- I only listen when they are playind Dresden Files
The Metamor City Podcast - audio fiction
One Shot
Scott Sigler Audiobooks
Spider-Man Crawlspace
Terrible Warriors- actual play
You Don't Meet In an Inn - actual play

I would listen to Ideology of Madness but I am on it and I don't listen to podcasts I am on.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 12114
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: Episode Topic Suggestions

Postby tombombodil » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:48 am

Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?

User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 12114
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: Episode Topic Suggestions

Postby tombombodil » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:54 am

Wayne wrote:
Z Knight wrote:Secondly i listen to a hand full of RPG podcast while i work, along with some sports, politics and crime podcast. Its apparent there is a trend of older crowd of gamers (like myself almost 50) who have dove into this field of entertainment across the world and have failed lack of listeners, while much of the younger crowd of RPG seem to enjoy recording their own actual role playing sessions, which is slow and unedited really boring and it will fail. Nonetheless since your all in the podcast arena would you be willing to dedicate some time to the pod-casting world some entertaining shows that your team enjoys, RPG or some other topic show. I have no show to push and I'm not interested in running any either but have been a fan of pod-casting.

Thanks Fear the Boot.

My other favorites are...Radiolab, StarTalk Radio, Sword and Scale, The Nosleep Podcast, Lore. Ill leave my gaming podcast untold as i really like to support new gaming podcast.


Most of the hosts don't listen to podcasts. I believe Chris does and Dan may listen to something occasionally. I am an avid listener of podcasts and audiobooks. I listen at the gym, in the car, while shopping, and sometimes at work.

My favorite podcasts are:
Anime Addicts Anonymous- Needless to say this is an Anime Podcast
From Crisis To Crisis- A superman podcast reviewing all things superman during the era between Crisis on Infinite Earths and Infinite Crisis.
Ditch Diggers- Writing podcast
The Dunesteef- Audio fiction podcast
Escape Pod- Audio fiction podcast
Hollywood Babble-On- Kevin Smith and Ralph Garman talk hollywood
Happy Jacks RPG Podcast
I should be writing
Knights of the Night Actual Play- I only listen when they are playind Dresden Files
The Metamor City Podcast - audio fiction
One Shot
Scott Sigler Audiobooks
Spider-Man Crawlspace
Terrible Warriors- actual play
You Don't Meet In an Inn - actual play

I would listen to Ideology of Madness but I am on it and I don't listen to podcasts I am on.


After Fear the Boot and HPPodcraft it's been very difficult to pick up new shows that don't have what I would consider "semi-professional" edition and audio production. It's just so much more work to get through a show with all the stumbling and tangents untouched, even if the hosts are entertaining.

FtB got through it on the back of Dan's overly meticulous editing, and HPPodcraft one of the hosts is a professional editor and had professional video and audio production experience so the show is edited not only for quality but also for flow which is especially important in a podcast reviewing and analyzing stories.
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?

Z Knight
Bofa
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Episode Topic Suggestions

Postby Z Knight » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:53 pm

Wayne & Tombombodil thank you for your reply.
I hope you guys enjoy your new chairs, and i have engaged in the "word of mouth" spreading the FTB pod as much as possible the past year. Ive enjoyed all of the work your team has put into it. I want you guys to know there are many, I call "Sleeper Cell Gamers" around our city. My group 5 member cell has been gaming nearly 35 years, and now introducing a second generation of younger family members whom are finishing up college (Yea) and hopefully they can keep the hobby moving forward in my bubbled world. We play mostly Champions 6 (I GM mostly), D&D3.5 (heavy house rules), chill (older version), Battletech, and some one shot experiments.
My thought was this something i really have no way of knowing or researching but just maybe you guys on FTB may have contacts that could put some light to my question. Like music some songs are more popular in certain parts of the US like the mid west to the coastal city's. The rest of the worlds music is obviously interesting and different from ours. What about table top gaming? i recall England very heavy in D&D during the 80s, and current podcast has shown me even Australia has a large community Table top gaming. I find many European gaming sites in German and Russian but what do they play? Why not throw some stats at us if you like...

Thanks again and Wayne, im checking out Ideology of Madness.
Z Knight

MatthewGL
Bofa
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:48 pm

Re: Episode Topic Suggestions

Postby MatthewGL » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:01 am

I often write my own game systems, and im very interested in hearing about the hosts favorite, least favorite, and most unique dicthand game mechanics they have seen while exploring the hobby. For instance, Mouse Guard has an encumbrance system where you draw the items on your character on the sheet. Iron Kingdoms is an entire RPG based on 2d6, which is a nice change from d20 or 2d10.

User avatar
Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear
Posts: 27554
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Episode Topic Suggestions

Postby Azhrei Vep » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:37 pm

MatthewGL wrote:I often write my own game systems, and im very interested in hearing about the hosts favorite, least favorite, and most unique dicthand game mechanics they have seen while exploring the hobby. For instance, Mouse Guard has an encumbrance system where you draw the items on your character on the sheet. Iron Kingdoms is an entire RPG based on 2d6, which is a nice change from d20 or 2d10.

dicthand?
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress


Return to “Suggestion Box”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests