Episode Topic Suggestions

A place to make suggestions about the show, the forums or anything else under the Fear the Boot banner. Constructive criticism welcome!
Forum rules
This is a place to make suggestions about the show, the forums or anything else under the Fear the Boot banner.

Do not post problems with individual forum users, please take that up with the Admin Team via PM.

Keep comments on individual episodes in the episode thread.

Constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged as are questions you would like the Admin Team or Hosts to answer.
Triggerhappy938
NZB Leftenant

Re: Episode Topic Suggestions

Postby Triggerhappy938 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:46 am

Here's a somewhat timely suggestion, probably best for a month from now, maybe later.

Running a Convention

How does one go from zero to tackling the logistics of an event meant for over 100 people? What do you wish you had known before you started doing Fear the Con? How did Kickstarter end up changing things (expected and otherwise)? What mistakes do you see most often? Now that you have run your own con, what expectations do you bring when you go to someone else's?
avocationalacademics.wordpress.com
Dan wrote:John Wells will probably kill you

Mobius04
I am the story stick

Postby Mobius04 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:26 pm

The Ozymandias effect of RPGs. Over time limited print runs fall out of circulation, or become so rare no one is playing them anymore. How do we deal with so much information lost as the years go by?
What is life? That thing that makes me exist so I can enjoy tasty sandwiches.

Doctor X
BABUSHKA!

Postby Doctor X » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:51 pm

A little setup first:

I was telling a friend whom I play Call of Cthulhu with about the Saints Row games and he mentioned that he never liked any of the GTA games and thus never tried them. I explained that the first one, admittedly, IS basically a "GTA clone," however as far as the series itself, GTA is D&D and Saints Row is, for our analogy, Call of Cthulhu. Call of Cthulhu is an excellent game, however if you're explaining it to someone who's never heard of it or RPGs in general, GTA is the D&D that you can't explain Call of Cthulhu to them without it coming up at least. Or maybe it's POSSIBLE, but you'll spend hours dancing around it.

So this, then, is my topic idea/challenge: I have never played an RPG before, but I've watched plenty of 60 Minutes/20-20/CNN crap, and so have the pre-conceived notions that, if you mention D&D, you're gonna lose me completely. Explain RPGs to me WITHOUT D&D coming into the conversation.
"The Police take you down to the station for questioning. Everyone take 1D3 points of Questioning." -Me, to Call of Cthulhu players, a lot

Brodeur
Host

Postby Brodeur » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:45 am

Doctor X wrote:So this, then, is my topic idea/challenge: I have never played an RPG before, but I've watched plenty of 60 Minutes/20-20/CNN crap, and so have the pre-conceived notions that, if you mention D&D, you're gonna lose me completely. Explain RPGs to me WITHOUT D&D coming into the conversation.

Asking someone for a system agnostic explanation of RPGs was a common interview question for us at the Fantasy Shop. Obviously we did not expect a perfect answer, but being able to convey the concept to the uninitiated was important. I think a discussion about this topic could be good. It could certainly help with clarifying things for friends and family that don't participate in the hobby.

Doctor X
BABUSHKA!

Postby Doctor X » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:00 am

Brodeur wrote:
Doctor X wrote:So this, then, is my topic idea/challenge: I have never played an RPG before, but I've watched plenty of 60 Minutes/20-20/CNN crap, and so have the pre-conceived notions that, if you mention D&D, you're gonna lose me completely. Explain RPGs to me WITHOUT D&D coming into the conversation.

Asking someone for a system agnostic explanation of RPGs was a common interview question for us at the Fantasy Shop. Obviously we did not expect a perfect answer, but being able to convey the concept to the uninitiated was important. I think a discussion about this topic could be good. It could certainly help with clarifying things for friends and family that don't participate in the hobby.

That is a pretty good question. For purposes of this one, though, all I know is what I've heard on scaremongering shows about D&D, and therefore, anything that makes me think "oh, like D&D" will send me running away screaming. Guess it's like adding a handicap to your question. :)
"The Police take you down to the station for questioning. Everyone take 1D3 points of Questioning." -Me, to Call of Cthulhu players, a lot

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:30 am

Doctor X wrote:
Brodeur wrote:

That is a pretty good question. For purposes of this one, though, all I know is what I've heard on scaremongering shows about D&D, and therefore, anything that makes me think "oh, like D&D" will send me running away screaming. Guess it's like adding a handicap to your question. :)

I generally start by asking if the person ever played Final Fantasy or any other video game RPGs. I haven't tried it, but I have thought about using a board game like Clue as the basis.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:37 am

I remember someone (it may have been on the podcast many years ago) described it as "cops and robbers for grown ups."
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

linda00145
Spambot?

Postby linda00145 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:56 am

clintmemo wrote:I remember someone (it may have been on the podcast many years ago) described it as "cops and robbers for grown ups."

What does actually that mean?

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:07 am

linda00145 wrote:
clintmemo wrote:I remember someone (it may have been on the podcast many years ago) described it as "cops and robbers for grown ups."

What does actually that mean?

"Cops and Robbers" is a game that kids play on the play ground (or did when I was a kid). It's just them pretending to be cops and robbers and then running around, pretending to shoot at each other, acting like cops or robbers, using silly voices ("You'll never take me alive, copper!")...
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:50 am

Doctor X wrote:A little setup first:

I was telling a friend whom I play Call of Cthulhu with about the Saints Row games and he mentioned that he never liked any of the GTA games and thus never tried them. I explained that the first one, admittedly, IS basically a "GTA clone," however as far as the series itself, GTA is D&D and Saints Row is, for our analogy, Call of Cthulhu. Call of Cthulhu is an excellent game, however if you're explaining it to someone who's never heard of it or RPGs in general, GTA is the D&D that you can't explain Call of Cthulhu to them without it coming up at least. Or maybe it's POSSIBLE, but you'll spend hours dancing around it.

So this, then, is my topic idea/challenge: I have never played an RPG before, but I've watched plenty of 60 Minutes/20-20/CNN crap, and so have the pre-conceived notions that, if you mention D&D, you're gonna lose me completely. Explain RPGs to me WITHOUT D&D coming into the conversation.

I've done this a few times, actually.

I call it "A cross between improv acting and a board game. Typically you have assigned to you a set of characteristics that tell you what your character is good at or how they might act, then you and the other players make a story together."

Return to “Suggestion Box”