Episode Topic Suggestions

A place to make suggestions about the show, the forums or anything else under the Fear the Boot banner. Constructive criticism welcome!
Forum rules
This is a place to make suggestions about the show, the forums or anything else under the Fear the Boot banner.

Do not post problems with individual forum users, please take that up with the Admin Team via PM.

Keep comments on individual episodes in the episode thread.

Constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged as are questions you would like the Admin Team or Hosts to answer.
Jinx
Teller of gaming stories

Re: Episode Topic Suggestions

Postby Jinx » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:15 am

+1 for the "how mechanics drive feel" episode.

I've recently played in a Green Ronin - Game of Thrones campaign, its an attribute-less system which relies on skills and has an "intrigue" system that mirrors combat for social encounters. Right down to "Social techniques" replacing weapons. It was surprisingly robust and flexible at handling the very many shenanigans but more importantly emphasized "defeat" as a "non-failure" outcome in every scenario (including combat) without taking the teeth out of the world and the dangers and showed just what a serious system of social maneuvers could look like when represented mechanically.

If anyone is at all interested I strongly suggest checking out the quick start rules which are I think free on Green Ronin's website, if for no other reason than to mine for the intrigue system which is easily the best component.

Wait wait... I mean +1 for finally finding something Chad can look at and see just as much head-game devoted to beating someone at "dinner conversation" as "duel to the death".
Jester Without Portfolio.

Jinx Zero - XB:Live

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:17 am

Law enforcement as counterbalances to players. Should town guards be Barney Fife or Judge Dredd?
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

OutsideOfTheAsylum
Spambot?

Postby OutsideOfTheAsylum » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:58 am

You've talked about co-GMing some, but it seems this happens mostly for one shots and con games.

Any thoughts or success with co-GMing a campaign--where the GMs alternate playing PCs? I was approached to do this recently, and I'm interested but dubious as to whether one could be fully invested as a player character.

Thanks in advance!

Knaight
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Knaight » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:43 pm

The use of particular trappings* to emphasize settings (and time periods) could be interesting.

*Specific objects, buildings, terrains, whatever. Basically, highly evocative pieces with high symbolic weight for a particular culture/era/genre.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

tritium
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby tritium » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:53 am

When are tropes and stereotypes helpful in a game? in a character? when are they a hindrance? How much is too much and how little is not enough?
Chad, episode 88 wrote:I don't do women.

Daeglan
Aarakocra

Postby Daeglan » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:13 am

I would love to see a show about correcting murderhobo behavior? getting players to not solve all problems by killing things. Sometimes killing is the solution. But sometimes it is the solution that leads to more death and trouble.

In an Star Wars Edge of the Empire and the other players seem to solve all problems by relying on torture, and murder.

IronJelly
I am the story stick

Postby IronJelly » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:39 pm

Daeglan wrote:I would love to see a show about correcting murderhobo behavior? getting players to not solve all problems by killing things. Sometimes killing is the solution. But sometimes it is the solution that leads to more death and trouble.

In an Star Wars Edge of the Empire and the other players seem to solve all problems by relying on torture, and murder.

On that note, I would enjoy an episode about dungeon crawling, and how to make an interesting game that is about the murder-hobos' bloodthirst and the search for unending loot. What kinds of interesting, unique, or clever things have you guys seen, run, or would like to see in a less narrative combat-type of campaign?
"It is easier to outsmart people than to outdumb them" - Scott Meyer (as Omnipresent Man)

okeefe
Dapper Metroid

Postby okeefe » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:34 pm

IronJelly wrote:
Daeglan wrote:I would love to see a show about correcting murderhobo behavior? getting players to not solve all problems by killing things. Sometimes killing is the solution. But sometimes it is the solution that leads to more death and trouble.

On that note, I would enjoy an episode about dungeon crawling, and how to make an interesting game that is about the murder-hobos' bloodthirst and the search for unending loot. What kinds of interesting, unique, or clever things have you guys seen, run, or would like to see in a less narrative combat-type of campaign?

A lot this is sensitive to the game system. There's a lot of differences between just the D&D editions, let alone Dungeon Crawl Classics, Lamentations of the Flame Princess, and Torchbearer.
“You have made an enemy of the birds, my friend.”

Epic Kobold
BABUSHKA!

Postby Epic Kobold » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:45 pm

Perhaps y'all can discuss how to write a module? One-shot length vs long lasting multi-level campaigns. Structure of a con game vs the structure of a home game? Writing a sequel to a successful one-shot without spoiling everything?

Plot? Flow? Symbolism? Metaphor?

And where to get good puzzles & riddles that every geek worth his salt hasn't seen/heard before.
Speak softly, and carry a +2 shocking burst greatsword.

Looking for a RPG group in RI.

Lunar
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Lunar » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:38 pm

I'd actually like an episode about faith based classes not relying on faith but philosophies, paths, or different aspects of spirituality. Unfortunately Episode 339 didn't really seem to touch on any of this. If necessary could there be non-believers or followers of non Judeo-Christian faiths as guest hosts for the episode if none of the regular hosts have the background to talk about this? How does religion work in a setting? Are the gods tangible beings you can actually interact with with the right spells? Is the existence of gods up for debate or ambiguous? Has the world or society focused on gone the Klingon route and killed their gods because they were more trouble than they were worth? It is also possible to be highly spiritual without worshiping a specific god. How about touching on topics such as those?

You could have a Cleric or Paladin of a nontheistic religion like Buddhism who follows a path of ideals, or the concept of dharma. A divine based class who worships an entire pantheon of deities, calling on specific ones in times of need. Heck, even an atheist Cleric who follows a humanist path and derives power from the collective consciousness of sapient beings. Eberron as a campaign setting is a great example where the existence of the gods is uncertain and up for debate and even "angels" or the highest level servants said to operate under a deity have never actually seen them or interacted with them.
It's like they kicked logic in the balls then molested its family in front of it.
Vinnie

Return to “Suggestion Box”