Keith's Art Gallery

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Re: Keith's Art Gallery

Postby keithcurtis » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:03 pm

Here's a non Epoch of Rysos piece. I did this before Halloween, but by agreement, have refrained from posting it until the beginning of the year, since the client had a number of events planned for it.
The client is Paradigm Concepts, the creators of Arcanis, and of course Witch Hunter. This is for an annual event called Wicked Harvest, which as I understand it, is some sort of tournament event.

This piece went through about half a dozen iterations on the pumpkin head, from a traditional jack-o-lantern face, to a flaming interior, to a more human-like expression, to the current green glow.

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:03 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Chad wrote:Perhaps the multiple arms are part of the digestive mechanism? Several powerful arms to rip anything it wants to eat into manageable shreds but all the arms do it in a sort of assembly line fashion (big ones grab, med ones rend, small ones shred) so that it can work though a large quantity of material quickly.

So, what you're saying is that it's a biological combine harvester? :D

What Chad said is exactly right. The arms can be used for differing, non-eating purposes, since they inversely vary in strength and dexterity (strong/clumsy, medium/medium, weak/nimble). But their primary role is that of a food conveyor. The big arms tear material from a food source, the medium arms, sort or crush it, the small arms do the detail work and then put it in the "mouth" for digestion.

Imagine an apple tree. The big arm might rip a big cluster of apples from the tree, the medium arm picks off the apples, the small arms remove bugs and leaves before putting the apple into the mouth.

Or perhaps even something less clean. The big arms rip off the whole branch. The medium arms remove and crush the apples. The small arms pick out the seeds and put the tasty bits into the mouth.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:24 am

BadMrMojo wrote:
keithcurtis wrote:
Timespike wrote:Damnation Decade (Green Ronin's 1970s scifi setting)

I did some work on that; it was crazy weird (Like Mister Roarke fighting Sleestak weird). Never got a comp copy.

But I will now. :)

Good on RPGNow.

You had me at Mr. Roarke.

And just to mirror the thoughts already expressed, kudos to all the small publishers willing to take part.

Posting here because I didn't want to derail the awesomeness of the RPGNow effort for Haiti thread with this, but this has always been one of my favorite assignments. Damnation Decade was like all of the weirdness of the 70's with the serial numbers filed off. We were directed to make things similar to, but not identical to a whole bunch of 70's pop culture icons. The following illustration came from this bit of art direction:
A HORDE OF SLEESTAK CLONES, REFERENCE PHOTOS ABOVE, DUKING IT OUT WITH MR ROARKE AND TATTOO CLONES IN THE TROPICAL SPLENDOR OF FANTASY ISLAND

Save-vs-DM
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Save-vs-DM » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:05 am

keithcurtis wrote:Here's a non Epoch of Rysos piece. I did this before Halloween, but by agreement, have refrained from posting it until the beginning of the year, since the client had a number of events planned for it.
The client is Paradigm Concepts, the creators of Arcanis, and of course Witch Hunter. This is for an annual event called Wicked Harvest, which as I understand it, is some sort of tournament event.

Nice work! Henry's been talking about this piece (I got a sneak peek) for a while now. The guys at Paradigm are solid folks.

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Next alien from Dan's Epoch of Rysos.

This is a Tembian, an air-breathing aquatic alien race.

The Tembian spends most of its time floating on the surface, being able to fill the septa of it's shell structures with air or water, like ballast tanks. It can move on land but only slowly and with great effort. It filters its food from the water with the flagella structures on the underside. These also provide minor locomotive power.

The forward tentacles are arranged so that four "thumbs" surround a single "finger". Each tentacle can be used with precision against the central finger, but is fairly clumsy when used in conjunction with any other thumb.

There is no internal skeletal structure, though there is a cartilaginous system.

The Tembian language is mostly whistles, grunts and clicks, vocalized through the dorsal blowhole (not shown). The Tembian does not have a conventional mouth.

The next in this series should be the Ipp, a symbiotic sapient race that feeds by cleaning the Tembian's feeding flagella of a barnacle-like parasite.

Dan gave me very little art direction on this one, only stressing that he wanted it to be "unusual".

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:44 pm

Coolness, I always like aliens since they are such a bag of questions. The Tembian's appear to be nothing more than prey. Either their world never developed carnivores or perhaps their symbiosis gives them some advantage to survive.
--
TAZ

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:14 am

I gave Keith almost no direction in developing this race. It was really neat to see how different his concept was from their previous incarnation.

As for why they aren't just prey, there are two big reasons.

1. They're sapient creatures. Weapons, shelter, and social organization are all within their repertoire.

2. They're symbiont race is smaller than the Tembians, but they're rather high strung and scrappy. It's sort of like a human always being followed around by a German Shepard. Sure, it's half (or less) of your body weight, but that won't stop it from doing more than its fair share in a fight.
Holy or unholy. Only one homie. Only this gun. Lonely 'cause don't anyone know me.

Zanian0
King of the Universe (and Star Trek failure)

Postby Zanian0 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:47 pm

I'm interested by the nautilus shell structures underneath its front side. It looks like its tendril appendages go in and then come back out. What's the reason for that?
"Something something something, Canada..."

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:18 pm

Just to throw my two cents in, I can see the 'fingers' retracting into the armored 'elbows' so they don't get chewed and or ripped off.
--
TAZ

Dan
Host

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Zanian0 wrote:I'm interested by the nautilus shell structures underneath its front side. It looks like its tendril appendages go in and then come back out. What's the reason for that?

Keith will have to field that one. I have only the slightest understanding of this race's physiology. He explained it to me, but I don't recall the explanation well enough to be certain I'd get it right.

Return to “Shameless Plugs”